2.0 TDI CR temperature

What's the difference between 'the shop' and the 'main dealer'?

Is the car now out of manufacturers warranty?

Sorry. The shop is my local Skoda dealer where i bought the car. The main dealer is the importer and where the car original was serviced.

There is no Skoda warrenty anymore, but here on Iceland dealers legally have to give 6 months 100% warrenty when selling a car.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally. They local shop tried to thange alle the sensors and both of the fans with no luck.

After 14 days they shipped it to the main dealer and they changed the second thermostat (the one at the gearbox). Problem solved.

• Like 1

Mine too is almost dead-centre...

Yep, the temperature gauge is an 'idiot light' and lies. Mine shows 90deg between about 75 and 95 actual.  It's really just there to show when something bad happens. 

whilst I am not suggesting that you do not have a fault, I can advise you that I also suffer from a cold car (engine and interior) for a good part of my morning commute being as it is down hill and therefore the engine is burning little or no fuel. Heats up quick enough on the way back up the hill though.

• 2 months later...

I think I have the same problem. Driving on the road everything seems to be fine but when I come into to town the temperature drops to 75 degrees. sometimes it doenst go over 80 degrees even in driving in town.

Looks like its the same thing for me the gearbox termostat or the radiator termostat.

Mine suberp is also equipped with the webasto. And i have seen huge rise in the fuel consumption when the temperature dropped outside below 0C. The onboard computer says 6.2l/100km but the reality when i calculate it myself is 8.6l/100km. Thats an huge difference between those two. So i started to wonder if the webasto is turned on all the time and the termostats are leaved open. That means the webasto is turned on all the time.....

Does anyone know which temperature the webasto is turned on and off while driving?

When standing still i think the webasto is turned off at around 50-60 degrees.

Its not easy to find these problems...

• 1 year later...

I have had same issue. Just bought the car last week from VW dealership. 2012 combi 170bhp DSG 6. Went into Skoda garage under warranty. First they changed the engine thermostat but with no luck. Now they say Skoda have told them theirs a second thermostat going back to the DSG box for an oil cooler in the box. The garage said this was stuck open. Anyone hear of such a thing?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I too have a 2.0 170bhp DSG6 superb with a big change in the way the temperature gauge operates.  Prior to a long trip (towing) to Europe, the gauge jumped up pretty quickly to 90deg.  and stayed there rock solid all day.  Yes it is clear from the OBD that there is a bit of fluctuation, but 90 is indicated at all times. 

On return from Europe the gauge just creeps above 50, and the oil temp also does not rise as far as it used to, max oil about 75deg, previously 90deg plus and sometimes when working hard up to 110Deg.  OBD shows coolant temp varies much with use, long down hills bring the temp down to 55deg, long uphills might reach 70deg

I have changed the Engine Thermostat with no impact and also the Engine sender unit (not my logic to change it, but advised it might help)

Next step to change the DSG thermostat.  

is there anything else that might influence this?  

Thanks

Hi all,

Is there a DSG thermostat??  main dealer says that there isn't one.  

Could the "Thermostat" be the temperature sender unit on the Gearbox?  

Yours Confuddled from Nannerch!

Edited by One Pot

• 2 weeks later...

As it is quiet out there, I will answer my own questions! 

Yes the VW part number is correct

The thermostat is actually in-line in one of the hoses leading to the oil cooler on top of the DSG Box

if you have cooling problems try this one first, £15 and 15 mins to fit.

Mine failed after some high speed towing in southern germany, likely prolonged high temperatures.

I stumbled across Autodoc website which is a German website but provides a UK outlet.

the part can be found here!

http://www.autodoc.co.uk/mahle-original/7815022

Prices include shipping, which can take 4 to 5 days, UPS from Germany

Not great for an urgent job, but for this it was fine. 

• 3 weeks later...

Did it solve the problem I am sure I have the same problem as of yesterday.Do you need the car on ramps or can it be fitted from above with bonnet open , is it easy to find ?.

Hi John,

I understand that the additional stat is only on DSG models.  

to change it, all you need to do (on the Superb 2011) is to remove the air intake pipe between the engine and the battery.

The stat sits on top of the gearbox at the joint between the box and the engine.  you should clearly see the oil/water heat exchanger on top of the box.  follow one of the pipes and you will see the stat in-line on one of the pipes.

i completely removed the pipe and plugged the open ports. then changed the stat on the bench - lost about 1 litre of coolant.

took about 20 mins to change,  all access from the top of the engine.

good luck.

i received the "dsg" thermostat today, i previously changed the thermostat all the "mecanics" know about with no positive results, i will see when i have time tomorrow to change it, and I will keep you posted.

Finally got the stat changed today everything back together took it a 40 mile blast down the M74, temp needle bang on middle again and stays there.

cheers again One Pot