Replacing Front Reading Lights (Pano Roof & Alarm)

aerofurb

I've already bought the Superskoda ones and can't figure out how to fit them.

As per the pictures I put up earlier I suspect the ones you have bought are for previous models.

You have switches between the lights that the ones they do fit to do not have.

Edited by Urrell

I fitted the superskoda lights to our F/L Yeti and they will fit perfectly, although they do have a blue tint to them which I do not like.

How did you fit them? 

I can get to the point in Aerofurb's description where you can gain access to the original bulb holders without any difficulty. I can also see how to remove the unit's front fascia from the PCB, but that's where I come to a shuddering halt as the the lenses and reflectors are plastic welded to the fascia and don't appear to be removable in order to fit the LED units inside.

UPDATE:-

Just had a reply from Superskoda.....

"This item was specially developed for Octavia III and Yeti, so we know precisely it fits, after the dome-light-body is disassambled and over 2500 pcs sold worldwide proved that.

Only problem which can occur, that customer does not disassamble the plastic dots correctly, which are welded to the plastic dome-light framing.

Anyway, if you don´t like the product or don´t want to install it, you can send it back to our warehouse for the refund."

I think I'll end up returning the LED units as I'd rather not try to break the plastic welds on a brand new car, and having also taken into account various comments in this thread from others who don't like the colour or effect of what are intentionally very bright lamps.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Superskoda lights - it's just that perhaps they won't suit me.

Thanks everyone who offered advice in this thread. I'll follow Graham & KB's route of fitting simpler capless LEDs which I understand are also available in different colour temperatures.

John H

Admittedly at the higher end of the price range, but well worth it in my opinion.

OSRAM W5W LED Long Life 4000K Warm White (Twin) £19.99 pair

OSRAM C5W LED 4000K Warm White 38mm (Single) £12.99 each

C5W festoon bulbs were for the rear interior lights in my Yeti.

Ordered from Power Bulbs using a discount code on this site and saved almost £10 off the total and free rapid delivery.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have just changed my yeti from a 2-0 tdi yeti elegance to a lauren and klement 170 bhp 2-0 TDI and im happy with it but i wanted to swap out the rear number plate festoon type bulbs for leds ones.I fitted the new bulbs which are canbus versions from halfords but im getting the yellow warning light on my dash as if one of my bulbs is faulty..is this a common problem?

Take a look on the VCDS owners map (link in my signature) and see if there is anyone local to you who can code your car.

Is your Yeti a facelift? if so then the numberplate lights now use W5W / 501 / T10 bulbs.

• Like 1

2 different things, even CANBUS LED’s still need coding.

So is the Canbus system looking at the power draw, I thought it would be just looking for a completed circuit that the resistor would provide?

On different vehicles the CANBUS acts slightly different.

For example on my Superb (MK3) LED’s in the reversing lights do not require any coding and the CANBUS does not flash the LED’s when the ignition is turned on, on the Yeti (F/L) however you do get the bulb check flashes.

You can indeed fit resistors (which is basically a bulb that does not shine any light, all they do however is turns the power into heat (they can get VERY hot) and on some cars this is the only solution as there is no coding for LED’s, on the F/L Yeti however there is, so surely with the amount of VCDS owners on here it must be THE best solution.... if it’s worth doing then do it properly. 

I've known CanBus bulbs still need resistors,

Then they are not true Canbus compatible bulbs then are they.

I fitted LED festoon for the rear seat lights (I know it's not on the Canbus system) but even though they looked good they kept blowing the fuse after a few uses, Strange that a 1w bulb did that when the standard is 5w. I did get a full refund from Halfords. I wonder if it was the dimming that they did not like even though they looked OK doing it.

Then they are not true Canbus compatible bulbs then are they.

I fitted LED festoon for the rear seat lights (I know it's not on the Canbus system) but even though they looked good they kept blowing the fuse after a few uses, Strange that a 1w bulb did that when the standard is 5w. I did get a full refund from Halfords. I wonder if it was the dimming that they did not like even though they looked OK doing it.

??

I bought some proper CanBus side light bulbs for my old Yeti. 

They brought up the bulb failure system.

We tried them in a friends Vauxhall (with CanBus) and they worked perfectly, with no warning.

They ended up being fitted to the front internal lights of the old Yeti, and were till there when I sold it.

• 1 month later...
On 07/09/2014 at 22:25, aerofurb said:

Here's how I installed some LED reading lamp bulbs in place of the standard W5W capless bulbs:

1. *Open the sunglasses holder and release the clips at the top which allows the holder 'door' to unclip at the sides and so hinge down further (the clips are a pain!). To be honest, I think you could miss this step out but it does make access to the attach screws in the next step easier [*Edit to add that I have now done the lamp swop without removing the sunglass holder].

2. Unclip the panel around the alarm sensors (gentle pull down at the rear edge).

3. Remove the two screws behind that sensor panel.

4. Ease out/down the whole front panel (wiring loom remains and prevents completely removing the panel).

5. Reading light bulbs sit in the two bulb holders that are removed by rotating and then removing them from the panel. Note, if fitting LED lamps some are polarity sensitive so depending on which way you fit the bulb in the holder or which way you fit the holder in the panel they may or may not work until you get them the right way round!

6. Refit is the opposite of the above.

yWBbe3.jpg

Did mine today with the help of that excellent guide, 2 things that may help.

2. if wiggled and pulled gently to to the rear of the car the panel will drop down nearly 90 degrees making access to the 2 screws easier.

3. The screws are T20 Torx.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/09/2014 at 22:11, YetiMark said:

Excellent, thanks. Do you have any idea how to do the ones in the rear? I think they are the festoon type bulbs.

Thanks for that info. I've just bought the whole set of LED's for Yeti. +rev lights and front fog+ Cree door/ground light Skoda logos and tools to fit them.