Dan's 20v 1.8T Fabia Estate

DanHarper

Well the Fabia has been granted a stay of execution.

I spent Friday looking at 'softroaders' found a nice example, but just didn't feel it. I also had a look at a Seat Exeo, which I liked a lot, however the towing capacity is too low (1600KG). 2005 is A4s with the same engine and on which the Exeo is based have a capacity of 1800kg, which is frustrating as a 2010 Exeo can be had for the same price as a 2005 A4, the car on which it is based! So, no new daily car!

I do have a Cupra, and taking this project full circle its RED. However, its costing me the same to insure the Cupra with 3k miles as it does to insure the Fabia with more BHP, loads of mods, 10k miles and business included!

I already feel a change of plan coming on!

Edited by DanHarper
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, TrevorB33 said:

Or a 1.8t Roomster :) 

The answer to absolutely none of my problems :tongueout:

On 4/3/2017 at 21:33, pip_vrs said:

What you want is a recovery truck :tongueout:

That way you can also push on breaking a lot more cars if you wanted.

Well out of the realms of it being a hobby then and I don't have a fetish for stinky (Ford) Tranny's thanks. Already get enough funny looks from the neighbors :)

Edited by DanHarper
  • Like 2

You don't want a transit, I'm torn between a Crafter (quite expensive though), a T4 TDi or one of them Ivecos I was outbid on the other day. I like the fact the Iveco are auto, not sure if they're any good though :D

Need to see what I'm actually doing with the Fabia though, all out track car or keep it kinda road legal.

15 hours ago, pip_vrs said:

You don't want a transit, I'm torn between a Crafter (quite expensive though), a T4 TDi or one of them Ivecos I was outbid on the other day. I like the fact the Iveco are auto, not sure if they're any good though :D

Need to see what I'm actually doing with the Fabia though, all out track car or keep it kinda road legal.

One of the Ivecos I was going to bid on for you was auto, that was what put me off as I didn't know you wanted that. There are some more going through tomorrow...

Got to be road legal imho, even if its just for testing.

• 1 month later...

Well the Fabia is still in one piece and I did another track day at Blyton :) Full day in the baking sun and no issues. Sadly I didn't take my memory card, pity as I could have had some nice footage of being held up by an R8 and an Evo :D

Only thing to look at is tyres, I'm running some 2013 Zeta Linea's and they were screaming in pain the whole day and weren't too hot on the grip front - but very predictable. Felt like I was pushing harder than I was before but it could have just been the noise making me feel like that :) I'm going to try some tyre softener on them next time as I'll probably only get one more day out of them anyway so don't really care if it totals them. Got some Yoko part worns too which may get the same treatment. I just don't seem to go through tyres that quickly, the RSRs I bought when I built the car are still alive and kicking too.

I fitted some DS3000 pads to replace the DS2500s which were worn down and also falling apart on the edges which they had done since fitting. The DS3000s are much much better! From cold they are not good, but you only need a small amount of heat and they wake up, so totally suitable for a daily. On track they are so much better than the DS2500s. This was probably the hottest day I've done and 0 issues with brakes. When I installed this set and gave the brakes a service (I have no dust boots on the pistons so they need a good clean 2 or more times a year) I installed the pads dry as its recommended to do this so the copper grease doesn't melt and start messing with stuff on track, they squealed like a bugger until I got the car on track and now they are completely silent. Downside is they look around 40% used already so I'll have to keep a sharp eye on them on the next track day :(

No pictures either, because lazy... and the car was filthy :)

Edited by DanHarper
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well this is it, finally time for the end of the Fabia. The replacement shell has been purchased..

I had a great last day at Blyton a few weeks ago, sadly I burnt through a set of pads but got to love the sneers before briefing followed by the "what the hells that?" attention this car gets once you've done a few sessions :)

Let the weightloss rebuild begin :)

20294353_10155650996307074_8889024649324

Edited by DanHarper
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hyphons said:

What's the plan then Dan? Continuing this thread or creating a new one? 

Don't know whether to leave this thread as is, incase anyone is crazy enough to want to follow my lead... or merge this one with the original Ibiza one and carry on, so it all comes full circle :)

5 minutes ago, TrevorB33 said:

You putting it back in a Ibiza? 

Yep. Then strip the Ibiza as it will no longer be my daily. Should save me a chunk of weight over the 5door daily estate.

Edited by DanHarper
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DanHarper said:

Don't know whether to leave this thread as is, incase anyone is crazy enough to want to follow my lead... or merge this one with the original Ibiza one and carry on, so it all comes full circle :)

Yep. Then strip the Ibiza as it will no longer be my daily. Should save me a chunk of weight over the 5door daily estate.

Seems a lot of work mate pm me if you fancy selling the fab 

2 minutes ago, TrevorB33 said:

Seems a lot of work mate pm me if you fancy selling the fab 

I think I could do it in a few weekends :) But I plan to refurbish a few bits and bobs along the way, strip a few more unnecessary bits and repaint the Ibiza... will be ready to have some fun on the cheap track days over winter :)

And no, the Fabia is not for sale, anything worth money I need for the Ibiza :)

Edited by DanHarper

34 minutes ago, pip_vrs said:

What happened to Adams Ibiza Dan?

Scrapped. Told you this at Blyton, when I wish'd I'd taken a picture to show Adam after his car broke, as he was having such a great day :P

Worst Ibiza I'd had for rust that one... chassis legs, started on the sills, B pillars behind the trims, rear behind the bumper.

• 3 weeks later...

Fabia was 1240kg on the weighbridge.

- me 65kg and a spare wheel 15kg = 1160kg in 'track trim' (no seats, spare wheel etc) with no fuel.

Fairly certain I can make the Ibiza lighter than that :)

I think Ibiza with the same spec will be ~1000kg. Less doors less roof.

Is it just going to be a track car and your towing it? If so you can get away with cutting a lot more and removing a lot more.

Might have a look at my Fabia this week :D

3 hours ago, pip_vrs said:

I think Ibiza with the same spec will be ~1000kg. Less doors less roof.

Is it just going to be a track car and your towing it? If so you can get away with cutting a lot more and removing a lot more.

Might have a look at my Fabia this week :D

Its going to remain road legal/usable. I'll be keeping it insured including business just incase.

I think Trevor got his Fabia down to 1050kg, so I think 1000kg is a fairly realistic target with 2 fewer doors :)

Fabia is officially off the road, rear beam/suspension/brakes removed and the exhaust from the cat back. Slapped the Ibiza beam in just to make it easier to move when it goes for recycling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...