winter tyres & steel wheels. superb 3.6

Hi All

Have had a spare set of four 18" Themisto wheels in the garage for a while and am thinking of having them shod with 225/40/18 Ice Touring ST's in readiness for this winter  - my concern though is what do I do about the spare? Is it OK/legal to have a summer tyre in the boot for use in an emergency or am I better off relying on the AA in the unfortunate event that I suffer a puncture to a winter tyre? Thanks

Dave

A spare is only that. As long as its a suitable wheel/tyre for the vehicle it's ok if it's not the same as the rest. Just stick to 50mph, which is the limit for non-matching size tyres and you'll be fine.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread, I know but almost every google etc. search I do regarding winter wheels for a Superb mk2 v6 3.6 seems to bring up this thread in the top 10 hits...

So - it seems that thanks to Wile7 we know that at least some 17" alloys will fit the 3.6L v6 Superb but it's unclear if all will fit.

Audi TT/A4 17" alloys seem like a preferred choice to use as winter wheels - as opposed to the standard 18" that was fitted to the UK mk2 v6. Does anyone know for sure that these fit the 3.6 as expected? I'd image they should clear the larger brakes...

Cheers,

Steve

Just a quick thought. Why don't you consider fitting M&S tyres then you don't have to store the various sets of wheels and fiddle around changing the wheels etc? I have used M&S tyros for some time now and found them ok...also on my 3.6. If you do change the wheels I understand that the best advice is to reduce the original wheel size by 1"?

As said there have been several new all season tyres out recently that a user would keep on their car all year but which work reasonably in all conditions. Having read numerous road tests, In terms of ability in snow then the best all season tyres to go for seem to be the following with the best snow performance at the top;

Nokian Weatherproof (Nearly as good as a winter tyre & okay in the dry & wet) - a couple of folks on this Forum have been very happy with them

Goodyear Vector 4 Season Gen 2 (good in snow & okay in dry & wet)

Michelin Cross climate (Good in snow but slightly more summer biased than the Goodyear)

Ive just had crossclimates put on mine in place of the firestones I had before,not tried them in snow yet but as I live in a mountainous part of France it wont be long I will give you my opinion of them at a later date. So far the only difference ive noticed is they are slightly noisier than tha firestones with adeeper drone to them but its not loud or annoying just different!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been running my 170 diesel 4x4 L&K with 18" Superb Luna alloys each winter for the past four years on Michelin Alpin A4s. These work well and as I bought the additional wheels and tyres with the new car, I don't have to swap tyres on the rims each year; I'd not be happy using the Sirius alloys over the winter.

I drive from North to South Wales regularly and almost never have come across any traction issues with these Alpin tyres and the 4wd, even in -7 to -9 degree conditions. I'd see little reason to switch to 17" in the UK as the ride quality and grip is still more than adequate for Britsih winters and I'm still using the original tyres after 3-4 months each year on the winter tyres despite around 12-16,000 miles in total winter use so far in cold temperatures and with normal roads rather than snow or ice most of the time. Road noise is barely different from summer tyres.

I've also run Michelin Alpin tyres on the Partner/Berlingo van for my wife's business and similarly the Agilis Alpin and Alpin A5s we've used have instilled confidence with the delivery drivers. I bought these after minor accident my then driver had had in the bad winter of 2010/2011.

If you're running the powerful V6, don't stint on indifferent tyres. Costco will always give you a good price if you're nearby a branch and know someone with a Costco card and their fitting is excellent. They've supplied all mine. Cross Climates would be a good compromise if you don't want to have two sets of wheels.

• 1 month later...

Just to close the loop on what I did, ended up buying a set of used 17" Dezent RE 'dark' (i.e. black) alloys with Vredestein M+S tires from eBay that turned out to be from another Superb owner who had sold the car on. Really pleased with the combination and really impressed with the quality of the Dezent alloys.

As I was buying different wheels anyway - definitely didn't want to be swapping tires, there seemed little point in sticking with an 18" for the winter. The 17" definitely feel a little better over the rough and muddy lanes you can find all over the Peaks.

It's also made me think the tires that came with the stock 18" alloys are pretty poor...

• 10 months later...

Excuse me for bringing an old topic back on, but my question is in connection with this one.

Can I use VW Passat steel wheels from 2007 model on my 2015 Superb 1.6 TDI Greenline?

The Steel wheels are exactly the same size as my standard Skoda alloys 205/55/16. I wondered if bolt pattern and center bore are compatible with my model?

Many Thanx!

I am about to buy these VW wheels second hand fitted with winter tyres. I don't have them, otherwise I could have tried them on.

Still not 100% convinced about the actual tyres, as I know old winters (and any) tyres could be ruined by inappropriate storage or old age.

mytyres web store has some fitted sets of wheels for almost any car and it comes to about £460 for 4 fully fitted wheels with mid-range Falken or similar tyres.

Thanx for the advise, chimaera! Checked up with the seller and it happened the tyres are late 2011, which is a bit too old I suppose. Will be picking up different wheels tomorrow, this time stock 16" Skoda steels from an Yeti. Then will be purchasing brand new winters. No point of gambling with used ones.