Electric boot struts.....

And for a replacement screen for the Columbus - it has a mind of its own first thing every morning, doesn't respond and then beeps its head off and randomly changes radio presets. As soon as it warms up a bit it is OK, but every morning it goes nuts. And before anyone asks, it is spotlessly clean :)

Some mk7 Golfs have had the same screen problems like this. Again cold start & cold temps make it worse.

Mine is booked in now for 2 replacement struts due to oil leakage - 7 months old and they are covered in oil. It happened quite suddenly as well, not a gradual build up.

My struts are leaking too, my vrs was due to go in last Wednesday but I got a phonecall to say the parts are on backorder and they will call me once they arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

According to my dealer this is a rare failure.

Obviously not!

My first set lasted less than 6 months on a car which is not used daily.

Doesn't bode well.

YGWYPF I guess

A decent 'option' buggered by the skoda design bureau of using absolute ##ite parts and materials.

Thank heavens I never bought a used skoda out of warranty.....costly!!

Not that it helps now, but long term if the struts keep going Skoda will bring out a fix. At the moment it's cost vs customer not noticing vs outlay to fix issue.

A decent 'option' buggered by the skoda design bureau of using absolute ##ite parts and materials.

Thank heavens I never bought a used skoda out of warranty.....costly!!

The same parts are used in other parts of the Vw group, I get you have had issues with your vehicle but there are many people out there with the same cars and parts without issue, part failures happen with every Manufacturer

• Like 1

I cannot remember the last new car I purchased falling apart so soon from new.

There are plenty of failures listed on here.

All cars wear out and possibly fail at some time due to mechanical wear or damage. If the same faults are being discussed by numerous owners then there is an underlying issue.

Its a new model of a generic car maybe that's the reason for all the 'teething' troubles.

I understand that, my point was that your post implies that skoda use cheap or inferior parts which is simply not true they use the same parts as the other vehicles from VW group. I get that quite a few on here have had issues as I have had a couple myself but for every owner that has an issue there are many many owners with no issues.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter tbh. I'm not referring to any other owners car.

I'm merely passing on information regarding my skoda 'experience',this is nothing that the dealer/SUK are not already aware of.

Maybe the brand will take something from such 'critical appraisal' and in turn products and services will improve. By not speaking up or indeed 'living with it' then things do not improve for the better.

• Like 1

I booked my car (vrs estate registered July 2013, purchased Oct 2014) to the dealer because my boot has struggled twice when opening, and the headlight washers get stuck.

They say the headlight washer problem is a known issue and will fix it but they have found nothing wrong with the boot struts or the way it operates.

Mine look like the picture above and have twice struggled to open, making some funny noises in the process. Its only happened twice in the last 3 to 4 months, once when it was cold and once during last months heatwave!

Anyone know what part # or date range is affected? They said something along the lines of the superb had known issues with electric struts but not on the mark 3 octavia.

Thanks
Jon

Edited by Raney

• 4 weeks later...

Well, new struts were ordered for mine on 11th July - guess what, they still haven't turned up yet.

Anyone else in the same boat with replacements struts on back order for over 6 weeks?

I have just escalated to SUK Executive Complaints department as 6 weeks is a farce, and mine are dribbling oil all over the place now. I fully expect them to actually fail at some point.

Well, new struts were ordered for mine on 11th July - guess what, they still haven't turned up yet.

Anyone else in the same boat with replacements struts on back order for over 6 weeks?

I have just escalated to SUK Executive Complaints department as 6 weeks is a farce, and mine are dribbling oil all over the place now. I fully expect them to actually fail at some point.

my first set took about 3 months. When they went again the service guy informed me they were on backorder again so we were to brace ourselves for a long wait. They the turned up a week later

First lot were dripping everywhere. Second lot one had a sheen and the other was dripping. Asked them to check on a service and they confirmed they'd gone again.

Haven't got much faith in the new ones as the boot had failed to open quite a few times since they were fitted :(

Both mine are a tad oily and boot is slow (i think), dealer said couldn't find a problem. Will mention it again at next service but (wishful thinking) might be worth holding out if new part is coming  -still working at the mo.

Still waiting on mine too, my dealer ordered them at the beginning of July, one side is available but the other is on back order I will be chasing them up this week. My dealer has already contacted tech support to find out why there are no parts available