Electric boot struts.....

I'm on my third set in 18 months.

All replaced do to oil weeping. Self lubrication does not mean oil leaking outside of a piston or actuator.

Take the advice from the dealer and duly discard it.

Hmm only bought my car last week and didn't notice that mine have a little oil on them :(

Is this covered under warranty ? My car is a 2014 so still have some warranty left

Of course it's covered by warranty. I had my dealer once tell me they were not leaking enough to warrant replacement. Though after a good moan they changed them. Its as if the cost is coming straight out or their wallets

I believe my struts are leaking but Skoda say they are fine - Please can people advice on the pics I have linked, if people had them replaced under warranty were they much worse than these.

I have spoken to skoda customer care as well but they just speak to the garage and take their view, going for another garage .to check tomorrow hopefully.

So far I have been told -

1.. First time they were checked - over packed with grease from factory , wiped off but 1 week later oil present.

2..Second visit - They are meant to be like that, self lubricating and oil will be present.

Now I think this is bull,I dont feel oil should be where it is,

Both statements are bull. They are leaking and should be dry

I had 8 lifters replaced on mine before I part ex'd. Part of the reason I got rid was because it was nearly out of warranty and they are £500 per lifter!

The dealer (who were very good with me) mainly waited until there were visible drips of oil before replacing so never clean them. I was also getting failures when lifting with the mad beeps.

If yours do get replaced then demand they fit the "f" revision part. I had these before I got rid and they didn't leak as much as the others so maybe not fully cured yet :(

Of course it's covered by warranty. I had my dealer once tell me they were not leaking enough to warrant replacement. Though after a good moan they changed them. Its as if the cost is coming straight out or their wallets

Thanks for letting me know

Another daft question -

Do I have to take it back to the dealer I bought it from ? It's over and hour and a half drive away or could I take it to my local skoda dealer (white dove, Cardiff) ?

Prob best ringing the supplying garage (Fish bros, Swindon)

thanks for the replies,  I know they are not right, but they are going out of their way to prevent me having them changed...

We will see what happens at the other dealers.

Mine were covered with oil and the dealer said that it was 'shipping grease' and cleaned them, short while later more oil on them and on a couple of occasions the tailgate has dropped when open collecting someone in the head. so dealer 'inspected' and couldnt fault them and re-greased them, with a report sent to skoda.

Edited by Gadget007

• 8 months later...

Next week, I will get mine replaced, for the very first time. They are 'D' specification and they have been discreetly leaking since the car was new.

After two years, I decided to get them checked in the 30.000 km inspection. In spite of the minimum signs of oil presence, dealer was willing to provide a guarantee substitution as soon I asked for it.

Have you got any updates about successful revisions?

Thanks and regards.

• 5 months later...

Not sure if it has been suggested before, but when mine fail again I will be replacing with standard (non-electric) boot struts. To me the convenience is far outweighed by the cost of replacement (and other minor hassles such as slow opening/closing, inability to operate in windy conditions, etc).

Note, mine have been leaking for the past 20,000 miles and still working fine.