Wipers will not stop - no off position Octavia mk1 vRS

Hello I have had wiper problems and still do in the off position, it's tripping the relay, can hear it clicking all the time when switched off, I have no idea any more what it could be, I had my ignition switch base burn out 2 main wires and after that repair the problem started, SO, to get them to work I need put the fuse in, when I want them off fuse out :(, any ideas on this problem ? relay was tested and swapped out for another same problem.

Either you have a faulty stalk, but given then electrical issues you state, I would imagine you have another wire which needs repairing under the steering column.

well, i pulled the fuse to the rear wipers on mine the day my fronts came on, and it solved the problem straight away..

Ive noticed im now starting to get all the usual problems most of the 2002 regged guys were having in 2013...

ie, 11 yrs old and all the gremlins have been fed after midnight :rolleyes:

temp sensor / thermostat failing - temp gauge not going above 80

rear driver side door locked no opening

front passenger window is a bit intermittent as to whether it will open or not from drivers door

reckon my shocks/springs & mounts are probably needing to be done, maybe rod ends too if i am going to be stripping the suspension off...

rear brake drums/shoes/springs/cylinders need replacing (have the parts, just not got around to tackling it!

going to be a pita yr i think!

• 2 months later...

I have a similar problem on my Skoda Octavia Automatic 1.6i 2002 model.

The wipers work fine until I want to turn them off and they wont stop, so I put it on the intermittent mode.

Sometimes if I stop and turn off the engine for about 10 seconds, the wipers go for about 3 or 4 seconds and stops as it should.

I seen an earlier post mention about the Park mode, is this difficult to repair or replace a switch or something.

Bugger it. 

Edited by Peadair

• 2 weeks later...

Just for future reference for anyone with the same problem. I bought this vrs from the OP. The 377 relay was the problem. When I took it off and opened it there was soot on one of the inside contacts. Sanded it off and working perfectly again.

See post number 18 here. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/149325-my-wipers-have-a-mind-of-their-own/

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I had this same problem for quite some time and I even had it in the garage and they said that I needed a new Wiper Motor, I decided to get a good second hand one and inserted it in and there was no change.

I met a mechanic after some more time and he said that it was the Relay Switch and I had it replaced and it did the trick and it is still working perfect, so perhaps this will be of some addition to your problem.

• 9 months later...

I am having the wipers-always-on problem with my 2002 mk1 Octy which I've owned since 2005 with 194k miles now on the clock. Checked the relay and it seems OK. Pulled out the rear wiper fuse but that didn't cure the problem. Sprayed contact cleaner into the stalk with no improvement. So now I'm left thinking it could be the park position sensor in the motor that is causing the problem.

Further evidence for this comes from the fact that I can get the wipers to stop wiping all the time if I put them on intermittent, then push down the passenger side wiper arm to the normal rest position (since the problem began the passenger side wiper rises up a couple of inches from the normal rest position when pausing on intermittent), then run around to the stalk and put it in the off position. Or I can keep pulling the fuse and keep an eye on the weather forecast.

MoT due in next few weeks and its needing a new rear wheel bearing so money is tight. I'm not very mechanical, so my question is this - how do I remove the front wiper motor then open it to try to clean the park position sensor? I've tried searching for the info on the forum but didn't have any luck finding it.

Thanks in advance. David.

Does your spare wheel well fill up with washer fluid when you use the rear washer?, the loom for the rear wiper surrounds the rear wash pipe, when it separates, it drowns the loom and can cause corrosion issues behind the n/s/r quarter panel inner trim.

Thanks for your reply.

No, (amazingly) I'm not having the problem with rear wiper fluid that others have had. But do have loads of other electrical issues such as driver side rear door not opening, driver door doesn't sense if its open, electric windows knackered, central locking locks the doors and boot when the car has to struggle to start up on cold winter days, and no amplification on the car radio!

With that list you may still be wondering why I hang on to the car. Well, on the plus side can easily get over 70mpg if I'm easy on the accelerator and brake, the car has never failed to start and has its original battery, and the gear change is ten times smoother than on my wifes new Renault Clio :-)

Just an update, as I said I'm not very mechanically minded and although I succeeded in removing the wiper arms (at the expense of a 13mm socket which fell down and now lives in the undertray) I was unable to remove the plastic cover below the windscreen, so decided to leave it for the mechanic at the garage. He said the wipers would pass the MoT, which it did, and I said I could live with the inconvenience of having to get out and push the arm down to get them to turn off completely.

By the way, the wheel bearing got replaced and the rumbling from the back has gone, but the brake drum at that side still gets hot so its back in for the brakes to get checked :-(