Parking sensor installation.Q

niklas

Is there any hole in the trunk where you can get the cables in or do you have to drill there as well?
Have just purchased a PDC kit and will install this weekend.

Any help is greatly appreciated 

I installed mine OK and I didn't have to drill any holes, there is a grommet inside the spare wheel well, directly below the lock mechanism in the rear panel.

DB

Great now i know where to look :), did you remove your rear bumper? my plan is to let it stay on the car. 

/Niklas

On 02/01/2015 at 17:55, pulse said:

Yeah second on the grommet. Doubt you'll be able to do it without removing the bumper though. Easy enough to do anyway.

What moment in the install would be hard or not possible with the bumper still on the car? I have been trying to find information on how to remove bumper 

There is lot of "parking sensor install" videos on YouTube that installs without removing bumper..

I am very thankful for all your answers! 

Edited by ColinD

On mine I carefully prised the 'Rubbing Strip' off the rear bumper, I started at one end and worked to the other side, it could be a bit brittle in the cold weather, maybe use some hot water to soften it up. Once off it's easier to see where the holes in the rear bumper are, mark up carefully and drill and refit.

DB

How will you thread the cables through each hole in the bumper, then through a single hole in the wheel well, with the bumper on? Not saying it's impossible, just seems illogical to me. From memory, work your way round the bumper to undo the torx screws (guessing here but couple in the wheel arches, some underneath bumper, some in boot maybe?) then gently prize the bumper off.

On mine I carefully prised the 'Rubbing Strip' off the rear bumper, I started at one end and worked to the other side, it could be a bit brittle in the cold weather, maybe use some hot water to soften it up. Once off it's easier to see where the holes in the rear bumper are, mark up carefully and drill and refit.

DB

WIth the bumper still on the car?, was the "rubbin strip" taped or glued, or was it clips?

There are a few torx screws in each rear arch and one below each tail light, you need to remove each light unit to get to these. 2 10mm nuts hold them in place. Abit fiddly but easy enough to do. Hope this helps

Fitted mine today in my MK1 estate, an aftermarket kit off Ebay - but didn't follow the instructions that I posted - I left the bumper on and drilled through the rubber strip and bumper in situ. 4 off sensors at 16" centres, with the middle 2 8" each side of centre catch position. The cables were hard to route, and I had to resort to a wire coat hanger to hook the cable ends. I current have the control unit behind the tail light and the sounder in the polystyrene tool holder in the spare wheel well, but will tidy up when I am happy with the installation.

I will also have to order another kit for the MK2 Greenline, but I can see that being harder to wire as the rear bumper appears to be fully enclosed.

Did mine today, removed bumper since my brother were able to help me..  The most time consuming was marking up where to drill the holes and get it done correctly and refitting the bumper. I hid the controlbox of the PDC sensors behind the left rearlights and drilled a hole in the plastic above to get the speaker out right behind the seat belt tensioner. 

post-125524-0-28435100-1420322702_thumb.jpg

post-125524-0-54378900-1420322751_thumb.jpg

Could most likely be done just as good without removing the bumper using a tool like this to catch the cables and guide them through the hole

Link to tool in a swedish shop:

http://biltema.se/sv/Bil---MC/Verktyg-och-Verkstadsutrustning/Tang/Bojbar-gripare-191449/

Thanks for all the help! Gr8 forum by the way :)

/ Niklas

Hi can one of these kits be fitted to the front as well?

From what i have seen there are kits that are made for the front, you need longer wires from the sensors since the box must be inside.

Edited by niklas

hi thanks for that,what kit did you use for the rear 

I bought mine in a automotive store here in sweden:

http://biltema.se/sv/Bil---MC/Bil-tillbehor/Bil-el/Parkeringhjalp/Parkeringssensor-43147/

I am 100% their supplier of them is the same as most of the ebay kits. At the very least they look identical! 

Go with the ebay kit that suits your need, with monitor or like mine with just a buzzer. Look up the seller if he is legit. :)

I am gonna install my second set on my own car either tomorrow or on Saturday Audi A4 1.8T Quattro :) Justt painted them with the right color.

Edited by niklas

• 4 years later...