Detachable boot light

Afternoon all,

I picked up a 61 plate 170 elegance in silver (for the curious!) just over two weeks ago and the detachable boot light wasn't working. City Skoda were good enough to post another out to me as soon as it came in their end. However this doesn't work either.

I figure two duff lights is too much to be a coincidence, is it likely to be a fuse/wiring/charging dock issue, has anyone had similar?

Worth mentioning that the lights in the boot and rest of the car are working as they should.

The light has its own batteries so it should light up when you push the button on the side of the torch while it's out of the car anyway. If this isn't working check that the batteries are in the right way around. If this isn't it then try new batteries, I think it takes AAA size (You'll need rechargeable ones to avoid damage/fire when the light is docked in the boot. If you have a multimeter you could also check whether power is getting to the pins in the mounting in the boot. 

Incidentally, the back of the torch is a magnet, so you can use it hands free stuck to body of the car if required.

Estate only AFAIK. The mount for it is moulded into the plastic trim piece on the left of the boot that also has the slot for the sliding luggage cover and a fold out bag hook. It's in the back of the Yeti too, again in a moulding for the boot of that car. Instead of retrofitting this I'd buy a more powerful LED torch for less money and leave it in the boot instead. You'd miss out on the automatic battery charging, but since I get about year of commuting from my battery powered bicycle lights, I'm not sure this is worth all the extra effort.

• Like 1

Estate only AFAIK. The mount for it is moulded into the plastic trim piece on the left of the boot that also has the slot for the sliding luggage cover and a fold out bag hook. It's in the back of the Yeti too, again in a moulding for the boot of that car. Instead of retrofitting this I'd buy a more powerful LED torch for less money and leave it in the boot instead. You'd miss out on the automatic battery charging, but since I get about year of commuting from my battery powered bicycle lights, I'm not sure this is worth all the extra effort.

cheers for the reply iv got a decent torch already but i was curious if it could be retrofitted

Thanks for the replies! I have tried swapping around the batteries as the +/- aren't clearly marked to no avail. Normal AAAs work fine in the torch, so just charging the stock ones to see if they're ok. Will test with a multimeter at the weekend.

Sounds like there is no power going to the contacts in the mount for the torch. I can't remember if it has its own fuse, or if it runs off one of the other circuits - I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise on that.

Also worth checking the state of the contacts in the torch mount. Could be that they are bent, missing, or corroded.

• Like 1

cheers for the reply iv got a decent torch already but i was curious if it could be retrofitted

If you fancy having a go I have a brand new torch holder (no torch or wiring etc) 

Hi Jake, the filament bulb on the torch doesn't come on.

Have you tried standard batteries just to check the torch works out of the car?

I had this after having a towbar fitted on my new estate. The fitter had not plugged the wiring loom back in and had to remove the side trims to access. Has your car had a towbar removed before you purchased?

If you fancy having a go I have a brand new torch holder (no torch or wiring etc) 

Cheers for the offer but I'm gonna stick to my maglite & some duracells

• Like 1

Jake/Kev the contacts look ok but I have no basis for comparison, I have a photo to follow. Normal batteries work fine in the torch so it's not a torch issue. As for tow bar, again there is nothing obvious to say that it had one at any stage.

Here's the photo

Looks fine to me. Must be wiring related. Looking at the fuse layout there is nothing obvious that indicates it's on its own circuit: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/index.php?/topic/319178-Abeo-Dash-Cam/page__view__findpost__p__3921027

(Thanks to Dave for the pics).

So it could be related to the wiring loom behind the left trim in the boot (same side as the torch holder).

I'd imagine that it must also take a feed from the boot catch, to detect when the boot is open. But if the down lighters in the boot door are coming on, then it does suggest there is a wiring problem behind the side trim in the boot.

Edited by JakeBlade

Thanks for all the help so far. Took it to the dealership today to collect the spare tyre set they hadn't included when I bought the car and they gave it a quick once over. As suggested no power to the port, they said I'd have to come back another day to get it fixed as its a woring issue.

The catch is that it's an 80 mile round trip to this dealership. As its a used approved could I pop it into my local skoda and get it fixed under warranty? Or get the dealership to arrange for it to be fixed there?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the same issue now with the flashtorch.

I should charge but it do not do since time ago. I have checked voltage on pins, and i have power in the pin used for the light when door is opened, but i can not get power in the pin used for charge the device.

the questions is that i do not know what happens. It shoud have a fuse, but i do not know which... and where...

Any advice?

All the fuses are listed in the owners manual in the glovebox.

I can't see any of the fuse descriptions that relate directly to the boot light / torch.

Does the 12V power socket in the boot work?

I wonder if the boot torch is connected to this system i.e fuse number 26, its the nearest fuse in terms of relevance in the manual...

5a776e0f9af81_Capture1.thumb.JPG.3d0a44b5ff228d350fc3825ea0eb17c5.JPG

Capture.JPG.a4ef93e0b990ec20f7c1fb87190765a7.JPG

Edited by silver1011

Definitly i do know what happens.

I have checked fuses with no sign of blown on them.

I'm thinking in  the following possibily.

- The first one is that maybe that charge pin output is governed by confort ECU. For some reason the confort ECU has disabled that output (malfuction, some freezing behavior, or random configuration alteration).

I have read somewhere if ECU detects a low voltage range of the battery (car battery), Comfort ECU dissables non essential functions. My current battery voltage is under range (motor stopped, around 12,20v , is not the best, but battery is not faulty yet). However, I think that charging fuction is enabled only when engine is running, so my argument have no sense, i think.

Anyway, i will disconnect main battery, wait a minute, and the i will reconnect it, in order to 'reset' all the ECU's....

I will see if works or not.

Regards.

Edited by ferdinandus