Bulb recommendations

I fitted the night breakers today...yep much improved vision, whiter light while driving. Then I got out to check (see what they look like for everyone else) and noticed this horrid yellow side light! Looks like I'll be getting those cool blue ones then! anyone got any insight in to LED number plate lights and the interior ones?

Cheers for that. I've popped them into my basket! :)

I fitted the night breakers today...yep much improved vision, whiter light while driving. Then I got out to check (see what they look like for everyone else) and noticed this horrid yellow side light! Looks like I'll be getting those cool blue ones then! anyone got any insight in to LED number plate lights and the interior ones?

I'd like to change the number plates to LED's too! Does anyone know the fitting or have experience in fitting canbus LED's to the Rapid?

Hi All,

Still running the OEM bulbs, wife driving it and not much night driving. But when i have driven it at night they appear OK?

Will change as a set when on blows??

Checked Which magazine and they their best buys are

Bosch Pure Light, and Osram Night Breaker +90%

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/sat-navs-and-car-accessories/best-car-headlight-bulbs/best-buy-car-headlight-bulbs/

Not sure I can, there is no fault with them it was my poor decision... I might just stick with them for the 150 hours (shouldn't take long!) and then get the Phillips xtreem ones :)

Does anyone know what bulbs fit the rear number plate (I think it's w5w), I'd like a bright, whiter light. I've seen a load of LED ones on eBay but worried they might cause a fault code to appear.

If you buy online, you can send back within 7 days for any reason under the sun due to the Distance Selling Regulations. There doesn't need to be a fault.

Do the Philips White Vision Xenon effect bulbs give a blue tint? I hate blue tinted headlights.

Edited by Lung

I've put them in now and they are much better than the standard bulbs, I'm happy to have them in and see how long they do last and I'll replace them with the Phillips at that point. I don't like the blue tint to some bulbs either! I would say that the sidelight bulbs do look a horrible yellow colour! And I see that the new fabia comes with led clusters that look very similar to the rapid ones!

I bought some of the Lidl bulbs a couple of years ago for the C4 - worked, and seemed to last well, but appeared just as yellow & no brighter than basic Halfords bulbs.

Went yesterday, no bulbs left in stock........wow they must be good........err maybe not.

I did buy their battery checker gizmo though, and some chocolate for the wife although I did tell her she didn't need it.

• Like 1

could not fit the new headlight bulbs today. either I have been sent the wrong ones by euro carparts or I am just a complete  clutz.... possibly the latter is more likely. removed drivers side bulb and plastic fitment was not as described in the rapid manual. bulb wouldn't come out of black and orange plastic sheath, neither did the metal ring base look like that on the new bulb. tried nearside headlight but my large hands were impeded by the battery, so that will have to come out or I will have to go through expensive surgery in order to change my pork sausages for daintier digits.

From your description I wonder if you may have tried to change the H15, DRL / full beam bulb.  The dipped beam H7s are almost tucked into the wing, you can reach in with one hand whilst looking through the gap between the wing and the black metal.  I changed mine two days ago followning this thread and to my surprise found it quite easy.  The rubber cover pops off and then you pull the connector towards the back of the car and the bulb just clicks out.  When replacing I had to make sure the tang (almost looks like a tooth) was pointing up and with a wiggle it just clicked back.  I had some cotton gloves I have used for other jobs and wore those just to avoid my hands touching the bulb whilst putting them in, with care they should not be necessary but like you I have rather large hands.

• Like 1

From your description I wonder if you may have tried to change the H15, DRL / full beam bulb. The dipped beam H7s are almost tucked into the wing, you can reach in with one hand whilst looking through the gap between the wing and the black metal. I changed mine two days ago followning this thread and to my surprise found it quite easy. The rubber cover pops off and then you pull the connector towards the back of the car and the bulb just clicks out. When replacing I had to make sure the tang (almost looks like a tooth) was pointing up and with a wiggle it just clicked back. I had some cotton gloves I have used for other jobs and wore those just to avoid my hands touching the bulb whilst putting them in, with care they should not be necessary but like you I have rather large hands.

it is quite possible... and possible that I was trying to put a bulb in the radiator... I am such an under the bonnet moron! will try again tomorrow then and seek a different bulb to pull out. did you have to remove the battery to get at the nearside bulb?

I see your location, my brother in law lives in ashdon just up the road. he has a yeti and an octavia. the in-laws live in elsenham.

Edited by inspector

I changed both my dipped beam H7s and the w5w side lights with no problem or need to move the battery.  I noticed a previous poster had problems with the battery when changing the side light which by the way is under the same rubber cover as the H15 full beam / DRL bulb and wonder if the access is different on a diesel engined car, possibly a bigger battery.  Even so access to the H7s should be OK as it is as I mentioned part way into the wing.

Small world, I keep an Iook out for other Skodas, there are not that many round here.

• Like 1

I changed both my dipped beam H7s and the w5w side lights with no problem or need to move the battery.  I noticed a previous poster had problems with the battery when changing the side light which by the way is under the same rubber cover as the H15 full beam / DRL bulb and wonder if the access is different on a diesel engined car, possibly a bigger battery.  Even so access to the H7s should be OK as it is as I mentioned part way into the wing.

Small world, I keep an Iook out for other Skodas, there are not that many round here.

what a mare changing those bulbs! now i have to visit the skoda dealer in peterborough tomorrow to see if they have the protective cap part for the rear of the dipped headlight housing! yes, i dropped it into the void of tangled metalwork and aircon pipes to an irretrievable place! i gave up in the end i went to halfords... where they also had a mare but a fitter with the slimmest hands managed to get dipped and sides replaced. i went for bosch gigalight plus 120's. the new drl's do look sweet as well. £90 later and i now have a new set of h7's from euro car parts taking up space in the glovebox :-)

pic of the access area on drivers side... impossible for my hands

post-125601-0-99853000-1421597332_thumb.jpg

Edited by inspector

Wow, I see your problem.  My car does not have the black bracket or the silver can it contains, just a space that my hand passed through.  I'm rather suprised as I thought there was an EC requlation that meant bulbs had to be user replaceable.  Looking at the connectors I wonder if it is a fuel filter or similar.  As to the rubber cover, if you lost it as you pulled it off the lamp unit it could be lodged behind the plastic wheel arch cover.  If you lost it as you brought it out towards the engine it could possibly be sitting on the engine undertray which is secured from underneath with 9 torx screws.  In both cases I can't imagine it causing a problem if left so a new one from the dealer sounds a good plan.

Finally fitted my Philips White Vision Xenon Effect bulbs today (will put before & after pics up later)

Absolute doddle to fit, took about 5 mins to do the lot.

• Like 1

Wow, I see your problem.  My car does not have the black bracket or the silver can it contains, just a space that my hand passed through.  I'm rather suprised as I thought there was an EC requlation that meant bulbs had to be user replaceable.  Looking at the connectors I wonder if it is a fuel filter or similar.  As to the rubber cover, if you lost it as you pulled it off the lamp unit it could be lodged behind the plastic wheel arch cover.  If you lost it as you brought it out towards the engine it could possibly be sitting on the engine undertray which is secured from underneath with 9 torx screws.  In both cases I can't imagine it causing a problem if left so a new one from the dealer sounds a good plan.

the silver can attached by the huge black bracket could be something to do with the climatronic climate control thing? (stop me if I am getting too technical). the halfords person expressed surprise that whatever it was had lower fitting bolts that were directly under aircon pipes, making them impossible to undo! I hope whatever it is, it has a life of more than 3 years when I will replace this car.

the silver can attached by the huge black bracket could be something to do with the climatronic climate control thing? (stop me if I am getting too technical). the halfords person expressed surprise that whatever it was had lower fitting bolts that were directly under aircon pipes, making them impossible to undo! I hope whatever it is, it has a life of more than 3 years when I will replace this car.

Looks like the Diesel filter

• Like 1

As you can see, no such obstructions to the rear of the lights on my 1.2 TSI configuration:15740699415_7ed44a7469_c.jpgUntitled by Chris Green, on Flickr

that looks nothing like mine... and what is that black squiddly line across the white panel... or is it a hair in the gate?

Edited by inspector

Isn't that just the reflection of a cable of some sort (power line?) on the windscreen?

Correct - just the reflection of the telephone line coming across from the telegraph pole to the house.

what a mare changing those bulbs! now i have to visit the skoda dealer in peterborough tomorrow to see if they have the protective cap part for the rear of the dipped headlight housing! yes, i dropped it into the void of tangled metalwork and aircon pipes to an irretrievable place! i gave up in the end i went to halfords... where they also had a mare but a fitter with the slimmest hands managed to get dipped and sides replaced. i went for bosch gigalight plus 120's. the new drl's do look sweet as well. £90 later and i now have a new set of h7's from euro car parts taking up space in the glovebox :-)

pic of the access area on drivers side... impossible for my hands

attachicon.gifrapid 10.jpg

Is it s diesel?

That looks like the filter [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk