Bulb recommendations

• 2 weeks later...

So my night breakers just blew! Got around 12 months of use and swapped out of my white rapid. So life/longevity weren't as great as I'd hoped. What's frustrating is they both went within minutes of each other. Anyway I've bought some Philips this time, let's compare the two (they threw in some w5w's so happy days)

Has anyone got a link to the can bus friendly number plate bulbs you are using please??

Also the 501 bulbs that come with the Philips , do they match the h7's colour wise?

So my night breakers just blew! Got around 12 months of use and swapped out of my white rapid. So life/longevity weren't as great as I'd hoped. What's frustrating is they both went within minutes of each other. Anyway I've bought some Philips this time, let's compare the two (they threw in some w5w's so happy days)

Based upon your findings,  I could well be into the last 2 months of my nightbreaker's lifespan :peek: 

Hoping they'll last until the better weather arrives!

Edited by pinkpanther

• 3 weeks later...

Based upon your findings, I could well be into the last 2 months of my nightbreaker's lifespan :peek:

Hoping they'll last until the better weather arrives!

Sods law - turns out I was in the LAST month of their life!!

One blew on the way home tonight, expecting the other to fail imminently

Edited by pinkpanther

• 2 weeks later...

One of my Philips WhiteVision H7 bulbs went last night after 11 months use & about 10,000 miles. Pain in the neck as it was extremely dark, and driving the rest of the way home on one headlight (which was safer than trying to pull over and replace the bulb at the roadside) was challenging.

One of my Philips WhiteVision H7 bulbs went last night after 11 months use & about 10,000 miles. Pain in the neck as it was extremely dark, and driving the rest of the way home on one headlight (which was safer than trying to pull over and replace the bulb at the roadside) was challenging.

Both mine went as I was traveling at 70mph on a dual carriage way (poorly lit!), I'm very greatful for fog lights! Led sidelights do not give a good light!

Both mine went as I was traveling at 70mph on a dual carriage way (poorly lit!), I'm very greatful for fog lights! Led sidelights do not give a good light!

Absolutely agree with you on all of that.

Have replaced my blown Philips bulb with one from a £3.99 bulb pack I bought in Lidl on Thursday. Can't speak for lifespan, but seems to be matching the other Philips for light output.

Both at the same time?!? Are you sure it wasn't a fuse or something? It seems too unfortunate!

Both at the same time?!? Are you sure it wasn't a fuse or something? It seems too unfortunate!

When I say both at the same time... one went, I tried to replace icon the side of the road but it was to cold and wet... drove a few miles down the road and the other one went. Unfortunate but not anything more , the car has driven fine and no warning lights or oddities to mention.

• Like 1

Sods law - turns out I was in the LAST month of their life!!

One blew on the way home tonight, expecting the other to fail imminently

The other bulb failed 10 days later. I re-fitted the original (standard Philips H7's), but noticed a huge drop in light output / brightness on the road and ordered another set of Nightbreaker's.

I did consider Chris's up-rated Philips bulbs, but these were considerably more costly than the Osram's, but appear to have a similar lifespan (~12 months / 10K miles). Unfortunately Lidl / Aldi had sold out of their £3.99 bulb sets

Amazon's recent "£10 off for every £50 spent" softened the financial blow somewhat!

The halogen lights on my FL Yeti are excellent, but the Rapid's are very poor, both in terms of throw and light output. Similarly the cornering fogs on my Yeti (H7's) are very bright / useful, whereas the cornering fogs on my Rapid (H15's) are barely detectable from the drivers seat.

Ultimately the additional cost of running the Osram's (£15 / year) seems a reasonable trade-off (to me), given the benefits whilst driving at night.

The Osram's also match my W5W LED sidelights, whereas the standard bulbs appeared very yellow in comparison. Vanity I know, but irritating enough to bother me nonetheless!

Edited by pinkpanther

• 4 weeks later...

We bought another Fabia II yesterday (Monte Carlo Tech hatchback for my sister). It has projector headlights fitted. I'm dreading to think what they will cost to fix when the bulbs go.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

I bought a interior bulk kit from eBay for the Rapid, but I can't get either of the front or rear lenses off? I was expecting a little notch where I can stick a screwdriver in but I can't see one? Anyone have any ideas? There's nothing in the manual either ... 

I was going to upgrade the headlight bulbs on my new SB reading this thread before taking delivery, however i can confirm the factory bulbs are better than i expected and from the driving the A1 last weekend from the M62 to M11 i found them to be a lot better than expected.

Just put your key (or a big flat screwdriver) between it as a leaver (lever?)

The one in the front, just look at the pics in the link below.

The one in the back you can pull wherever you want.

Look at http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/385872-how-to-light-up-back-dome-light-when-opening-doors/

Perfect thanks, I was just nervous about breaking the lens but it's all good.

I've done mine now and it's a huge improvement. I bought a full interior bulb kit from a reputable auction website which contains all the bulbs for the front and rear domes, glovebox and boot. 

For the front dome I used a plastic keyring (about 3-4mm thick) I have to prise open the front of the lens i.e. the bit nearest to the back. Once that pops off you can pull the three bulbs out quite easily. 

For the rear dome as mentioned use the same approach but pull anywhere, the whole unit comes out and once you flip it you can get to the two bulbs there.

For the glovebox you need something pointy (key or screwdriver would do) then use a credit card to push between the lens and the lighting unit to get to the bulb.

The same as for the glovebox for the boot LED.