Mid Wales Driving Day Out

stever750

I'm planning on a bit of a day out, originally in Feb/March but it might be something better off when the weather is warmer, plus it gives a bit more time to plan into people's diaries etc.

The route I am proposing:

Meet at Llandovery, head North on the A483 to Buehler, pick up the B4358 at Beulah towards Newbridge on Wye. This is an absolute roller coaster of a road, with some stunning scenery. From NoW, head to Rhayader, then pick up the B4518 towards Harmon and Llanidloes. Never driven it, but it look interesting. A470 to Newtown, then pick up the A483 south to Llandrindod Wells, and finally at Builth. I've driven the A483 many times, and it's one of my favourites. It's not fast, as it's too twisty and unsighted for that, but it's relatively lightly trafficked, and there are ample straights to pass the odd lumbering farmers landie. The scenery though is fantastic, and again in places it's a fast switchback of a route.

We'd plan some food / photo stops to make it a proper day out, so a chance to drive some great roads as well as a bit of sociable fun.

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-71909-1420494998352_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Administrators

From way back when, this is a mammoth route but about the best roads you'll get, or used to....

I'd be darn tempted to join you for this. Set a date, add the event to the calendar, link here ;):):D

The Builth Wells triangle is as good as it's north wales counterpart for most of it...

Briskoda_Tour_03.pdf

• Like 1

• Administrators

People came from far afield for that run, although it's a bit long :). Not sure on how; legality now. We split then into groups of 5, with 10mins between. Also meant load on the pub t lunch was evened out.

Since doing that '03 run, I've come up with a theory that driving tour routes should never have a right turn in them.  That way it's far easier for groups to stay in touch and less 't-bone bravery' moments. Most of that is right turns, but the roads are best in that direction...

People came from far afield for that run, although it's a bit long :). Not sure on how; legality now. We split then into groups of 5, with 10mins between. Also meant load on the pub t lunch was evened out.

Since doing that '03 run, I've come up with a theory that driving tour routes should never have a right turn in them.  That way it's far easier for groups to stay in touch and less 't-bone bravery' moments. Most of that is right turns, but the roads are best in that direction...

Good point, didn't think of that.

I guess it depends on numbers. I've posted it in West Mids and South West to try and get some more interest. Date wise, I'm thinking late April / mid may (not a bank holiday as that's the preserve of family stuff for most people), which is when we should all have our summer tyres back on.

I was thinking of putting in several photo stops Colin, so that everyone can keep in touch, even if you drop back, it won't be for long so discourages any red mist moments.

So long as we completely avoid this kind of stupidity then we should be fine:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-30574895

As it happens I was flicking through an old EVO magazine waiting for my MOT and they did a hot hatch test on the B4518, not sure exactly which section but definitely in that area. They reckoned it was a great road, challenging but very driveable because it has good visibility. Think they were quite deep in the valley.

Well since I live in the middle of it.......................................

Can suggest a couple of places to stop for coffee or lunch, if you want.

Yrs please Graham, that would be useful. I'll pick a date and the once we get an idea of how many (or few) we can organise the logistics of food stops etc

Yrs please Graham, that would be useful. I'll pick a date and the once we get an idea of how many (or few) we can organise the logistics of food stops etc

No problem.

PM me when you are ready.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right, the weekend of the 25th and 26th April. It's before the bank holiday weekend which is a family thing plus the roads are clogged with day trippers, but late enough to be wearing summer boots.

Add your name below, let's get the usual list together. Not decided which day yet, probably the sunday as it will be quieter.

Edited by stever750