Major service not so major..?

Hyphons

I just checked to see what was done on its second ever service (presumably it's major as I was charged £200+) and as far as I can see they did everything they do in a minor but they also did an inspection service and a interval service, can someone just confirm I'm not just being ripped off and didn't spend 2 1/2 hours at the dealers while my car sat in a parking space?

60b5ec17ff5f902bc88cb03abcf99ed0.jpg

So what's the answer gang, ask the service manager what they did and what's involved with a "inspection service" and "interval service" I'm also trying to figure out if someone got carried away with ticking the no's, mainly because "brake fluid change" isn't ticked yes but the brakes feel a lot stronger now it's been serviced which leads me to either they bled the brakes on changed the pads (I'll perhaps have a look tomorrow as I assume they'll be relatively clean)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on a major service they only replace items if they need replacing?

Exactly what I want to know really, the car has been playing up recently (trouble with revving on a cold engine temp start up up to 1k revs) and I would of assumed they would have checked the car over and replaced anything that looked like it needed replacing as they knew about this but it doesn't really appear anything has been done (apart from interval and inspection service which I don't really know what is involved in that)

At first glance it looks like you paid £200 + for an oil change and no mention of a new filter either. You got to ask what interval and inspection services entail, get the official list and check see any new bits were actually fitted, thats presuming these 2 "services" are more than just a visual once over. Good luck, if I were you I'd be looking for reassurance that it wasn't just a seriously expensive oil change mate!

They should check drum brakes and replace pollen filter, just to say something what I remember from the list.

There's no such thing free service. Customers pay everything.

I had a second service on mine before I sold it. It was basically a first service + change air and pollen filter. They or I hoped they removed the wheels and did at least clean/check the brakes as they don't on a first service.

I got asked when booking in if I wanted the aircon checking, I declined as it's extra. I was also asked if I wanted a brake fluid change, I think they quoted over £40 for that, again declined. I knew I was going to change the car soon so why go OTT of stuff, I just wanted a service stamp.

1st service £99, 2nd service £184 so yes well and truly stuffed paying for stuff I can do myself, I can't keep the warranty up and a stamp in the book though. :thumbdown::notme:

Oh just remembered, they did hook it up and do an update, FOC which was nice of them, but that I suppose falls under the warranty anyway.

Edited by MickA

I wasn't expecting them to do the filter, I did that myself beforehand on the assumption it would reduce costs (which seems to be true as on the list of parts bought when serviced which is very very short and oddly included a screw? (Although I can believe why they put a screw in, I recall finding one after I put my car back together and thinking, oh tits where did that go, well nevermind it's holding up) there was no air filter included, when I phoned up to book it in I asked about the filter change and again the dip **** on the phone was like "a filter?" I went yes I've changed mine so you don't need to change it (now thinking about it I think I'll check they didn't swap a brand new air filter for a brand new air filter..) the bits they seemed to have changed on the car (which I was/wasn't charged for? They never actually asked for payment of these things thinking about it and I don't believe that a "screw" would be included in the costs a service unless they replaced parts under warranty) Oil filter, Cleaner (going under the assumption that's the washer fluid for the windscreen) Screw, Pollen filter, Oil, I'm still confused though, everything on the receipt book is ticked as "okay complete" so does this mean I'm just being really thick and the reason parts haven't been changed because they didn't need to? (Which of course I can't get my head around because it won't be until 2017 when for example the fuel filter will be changed, unless they do that on the next service but doesn't that mean that the next minor service would become a major because of stuff not changed on this one, I'm so confused :sweat:)

Same here [emoji106]

Screw? Do they mean sump plug?

It's a general thing changed on an oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So everytime they do the oil change they'll charge me £2.08 because they're replacing the sump plug? I still reckon they found the bit where I missed putting a screw in when putting something back on the car

My Ibiza says it needs a service and so i phoned my local dealer to find out prices:

Me: I'd liike to book my car in for it's next service - it's just before 59,000 miles

Service Manager - Is that a major or minor service?

I was hoping you'd know that, you're the dealer

The car was inspection serviced by us before we sold it - i can see that on the system - but all other work was at another dealer

ok so what do you need to know?

Did it have a major service at 40,000?

In the service book all the service ticks are exactly the same except the one at 40k where it says its had a new air filter.

oh yes that's fine then it's had a major service, we'll book you in for a minor.

so apparently the car only needs a new air filter every 40,000 miles and according to the service book the changing of it is the only difference between major and minor services.

Speaking of the dealer they actually have a pretty useful online tool for booking services.

The manufacturer services seem to not divulge full details but if you are booking in for a "Standard Annual Service" you can pick the size and it lists details of what they do

Interim Service

•Oil & filter change (fully synthetic oil)

•Vehicle inspection - inspection of all lights, instruments, bodywork, glass, locks, battery, drive belts, suspension, steering, fuel lines, brake pads/shoes/discs, hoses, wash/wipe system, exhaust system, engine components, fuid levels and tyres. 

•Full vehicle road test***

•Vehicle and software enhancements from manufacturers database

•Diagnostic check including report

•Re-set service interval display

•Wash and vacuum

•manufacturers stamp in service book **

£129

Main Service;

As per interim service but also

•Replace pollen filter (where fitted)
•Replace air filter
•Spark plugs (petrol engine,NB Iridium plugs at extra cost) or fuel filter (diesel engine)
•Remove wheels and check brakes
•Check/adjust tension of all drive belts
•Check/top up gearbox oil (where applicable)
•Check/top up final drive oil (where applicable)
•Check suspension system
•Check heating/air con operation

£249

Major Service

as per Main Service but also

•Replace brake fluid . 

•Replace gearbox oil .

•Adjust Tappets

£395

so it would appear that yesterday when i changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and pollen filter on the Fabia for the grand total of £60 worth of parts I was saving myself almost £190. Makes the skinned knuckles worthwhile but as you say in your case it won't maintain the warranty or get a nice dealer stamp in the book.

There is no free servicing.

Sump plug is replased, as it's integrated with washer, which have to be changed whenever plug is removed.

Mechanics have their own to do list. More detailed.

Minor service is oil, oil filter and sump plug (screw).

A major service adds fuel, air and pollen filters and spark plugs.

However these additional parts are only fitted "if required" (but you are charged the higher price regardless i.e. being ripped off).

I'm not sure about the Citygo but on most other Skoda models this isn't until at least 60,000 miles or 3 years.

Check out the service book before booking the car in. Don't rely on the dealer to know. 10 minutes reading the service book can saves lots of cash.

Edited by silver1011

If you mean it's 1st service then it would have been an oil change, that's all.

No air or pollen filter change, they don't even take the wheels off.

May have wiped it over with a rag making it worst than when it went in, it was with mine

Edited by MickA

If you mean it's 1st service then it would have been an oil change, that's all.

No air or pollen filter change, they don't even take the wheels off.

May have wiped it over with a rag making it worst than when it went in, it was with mine

I haven't a clue what they did with mine when it went in to have the rear mud flaps, it came out and the right side was splattered in a load of crap (looks like a mucky bucket was emptied next to it and it splashed all up the side)

Minor service is oil, oil filter and sump plug (screw).

A major service adds fuel, air and pollen filters and spark plugs.

However these additional parts are only fitted "if required" (but you are charged the higher price regardless i.e. being ripped off).

I'm not sure about the Citygo but on most other Skoda models this isn't until at least 60,000 miles or 3 years.

Check out the service book before booking the car in. Don't rely on the dealer to know. 10 minutes reading the service book can saves lots of cash.

Unfortunately, the "service schedule" book for recent cars (and you won't believe this) tells you if an oil-change service or an inspection service is due and when. It does NOT itemise what is actually done! Instead, you are advised..."your Skoda Service Partner will provide you with information on the service scopes for the respective service events".

This is therefore very useful.

Skoda recently took down this page until a few of us on here accused them of not being transparant with the itemisation of their servicing.

It soon reappeared...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

This is therefore very useful.

Skoda recently took down this page until a few of us on here accused them of not being transparant with the itemisation of their servicing.

It soon reappeared...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

This appears to apply to the "fixed price" servicing of 3 to 10 year-old vehicles only...and it's not quite as transparent as you may think. Many of the items listed have a footnote to the effect...they'll be done if required by the manufacturers service regime. So you STILL don't know if they'll be done before you go!