Major service not so major..?

Hyphons

The largest one will be when they change the cam belt, water pump and spark plugs.

That's not very often as belt needs changing at 240 000km. ;-)

The Brake fluid should be getting changed at 3 years which will usually be at the time of a Minor Service.

This also being when a UK MOT is First Due.

(then each 2 years for brake fluid change.)

Extra cost for the Brake Fluid change, not going to be included in the 30,000 mile or 3 year Minor Service.

That's not very often as belt needs changing at 240 000km. ;-)

It needs changing when it is at risk of breaking. in the UK VAG recommend replacement at four years. Personally that sounds about right to me for a cheap rubber belt.

To me it sounds quite often compared other modern cars.

By the way there probably is another belt for water pump on other end of the engine. If memory serves. I wonder how much it would be if both belts and water pump is changed.

Helllo

I have just read my full PCP terms and conditions and it does not say on there anything about servicing.

Have just phoned and spoken to VWFS who confirm, i am free to have my car serviced "Anywhere!" i choose as long as all parts are VW approved. If i was handing the car back they ask that a copy of the service and parts used is kept. But as above no requirement to use Skoda VW or Seat dealers.

Chris

Hi cseach,

Irrespective of what VWFS have said, I've just reread MY PCP agreement, & IT DOES state that the car has to be serviced by a main dealer - & there are also various websites dealing with this self-same topic, which quite adamantly state that the MGFV of a car on a PCP, will be adversely (very much so, in fact) affected, if Services are not carried out by a main dealer.

So, us PCP owners seem to be caught between a rock & a hard place - UNLESS one decides to pay the "Balloon" & keep the car for their own use after the PCP term has expired. If one is planning to relinquish the vehicle (not a palatable prospect to most owners) or trade it in for a new car (probably the most popular option) one is faced with accepting the PCP stipulations.

The car manufacturers NEED the Dealers to flog their cars (& flog their PCP's, as generally speaking, this ties a customer into buying the same make again), & in return, the Dealers can apply some pressure to the manufacturers, to help to generate their profits.

The customer comes way down the food chain.

Sad, but true!

My dealer said that they "preferred" it if my car was serviced at main dealers, but if I wished to go elsewhere then nothing wrong with that, and it won't adversely affect the final value as long VW approved parts are used.

First two services are free with my PCP plan so I'll be getting main dealer services until the 3rd one, then I'll go elsewhere as I do intend on keeping the car if possible.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Michaelski

irrespective of what you and various internet forums say i think i'll go with what i have been told directly by VWFS.

I find it quite interesting that in your original post you failed to say that your paperwork said the car must be serviced by a main dealer, i'd be quite interested to see a screen shot of that........

Chris

Edited by cseach

Get it in writing from VWFS and then they won't have a leg to stand on at the end of the PCP.

To be honest I'm more confused than before now.

Posting a copy of my PCP agreement is a little (in fact a lot) beyond my level of technological skill -I must have been playing truant, the day that topic was covered, but IT DOES specifically state in my PCP papers (& it is VW Finance who I'm with) that the car has to be serviced by a main dealer. I KNOW that current legislation states that one is not tied to using main dealers, & that one can go anywhere ("providing that VW approved parts are used")and not infringe their guarantee, but I'm very reluctantly resigned to paying through the nose & using a Skoda Dealership, rather than going elsewhere - & this despite the cost being £169 for what is little more than an oil & Filter change. A major Service (at this very same Dealer) is £350 - yes £350 for a 2 year old car, & a cynical owner may be forgiven for believing that there'll be little more than another oil & Filter change on that occasion - irrespective of what is touted as being checked/done.

I'm not planning on keeping the car after the PCP has expired, or believe you me, I would be going elsewhere, & not paying these highly-inflated prices, but as I'm planning to get another Citigo (which I firmly believe are wonderful little Tonka toys)I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to bite the bullet, & shell out accordingly. I know that "I could" take the gamble, but for the sake of simply a few hundred quid, I'm prepared to follow the flag/keep the faith etc etc etc.

Anyway, I console myself with the fact that when I bought the car, I was also given a £500 fuel voucher, and that makes it more or less a case of "even Stephens". NOT happy about it all, but resigned to my fate, & in any case, life is far too short to worry about just who's screwing us this time - there's ALWAYS going to be someone!

Edited by Michaelski

The issue might be having to have Main Dealer Servicing, but that can be at any VW Group Main Dealers, 

so Skoda, Seat, VW or Audi.

So no big deal really it can be done at no great costs unless someone accepts ridiculous prices.

The big deal here seems to be the Crazy prices being quoted for Servicing a Citigo by some Skoda Dealership, or National Pricing at Participating Dealers.

Someone is asking too much money for very little Labour & Parts / Fluids and VAT on them it seems.

Michaelski....my first service was £90 and I paid less than half of your £350 for my second service (which included rear-brake strip and clean.....which WAS done!). This was from my suppling dealer who also gave me a huge new-car discount (I paid cash). It seems that you are being "taken for a ride" by your current dealer!

Hi oxonboxn,

I suspect that in general, prices have shot up considerably since you had your first 2 services - either that, or you have a sensible & very far-sighted Dealer?

Whichever, it's £169 & £350 respectively in my neck of the woods - as the Head Honcho of the Dealership told me "the costs of our training, experience & tools are built into our pricing schedules, and have to be paid for by someone". I think that he meant ME!

& not so much "being taken for a ride", as SCREWED by the local Skoda Dealer - but would the prices be any cheaper if I went to either a VW or a Seat Dealer? I suspect not, as it's not in their interests for one of them to knowingly undercut either of the other two - one would clean up, & in turn, the other two would be screwed themselves. Other Skoda Dealers which I could perhaps patronise are either another garage of the same particular group - which means a similar pricing, or far, far away too long a distance to sensibly travel. Whilst Citigo/Up/Mii cars are currently extremely popular, the Dealers (& I can't really blame them, in all honesty) are taking the opportunity to put their arms into my pocket - right up to their arm pits. Things "may" change drastically post April 2017 (when our belove`d Chancellor AGAIN screws the British motorists, by increasing the RFL payable across the board)& perhaps City cars will no longer be the current flavour of the month, as discerning motorists opt to go a tad larger & a tad more "plush" cars, when the main inducement (ie. no, or a trifling little RFL)for buying a motorised roller skate are removed?

THEN the likes of VW/Skoda/Seat just may be introducing all sorts of sweeties to keep people buying "small". One of my neighbours has just treated himself to a very large Mazda, & the mpg that he gets from this colossus (thanks to ultra-modern technology) isn't too far short of what I get.

So, we shall see what we see when we see it - remembered those bon mots from a Fortune Cookie when we last went for a Chinese meal.

Our No. 1 son has just had his first Citigo service (he'd done a piffling 3.5k miles)& looking at the checklist presented to him, as sure as eggs have little lions (one for the older members of Briskoda) basically, all he finished up with, was an oil & filter change. But it's done & paid for, & therefore now in the past. I can't allow myself to get too upset over being screwed, as if person A doesn't screw me, then along will come person B.

You will struggle to find an easier car to do an oil change on than the Citygo. All you need is a 19mm spanner, monkey grips and something to drain the oil into. One new sump plug and an oil filter and 3.4 litres of oil. No undertray in your way. If you go on YouTube you will find out how to turn your service light off. Very easy. Then you can hiccup in your tyre's and top up your coolant and screen wash .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You will struggle to find an easier car to do an oil change on than the Citygo. All you need is a 19mm spanner, monkey grips and something to drain the oil into. One new sump plug and an oil filter and 3.4 litres of oil. No undertray in your way. If you go on YouTube you will find out how to turn your service light off. Very easy. Then you can hiccup in your tyre's and top up your coolant and screen wash .

I'm not sure that a DIY oil and filter change counts as an approved service for the purposes of any warranty claims though.

Why do you think that? Goodwill claim will not help but you will still have your warranty.

From the Service Schedule handbook..."Proof of the services having been performed is a PREREQUISITE for the processing of possible warranty claims. The confimations of the individual services carried out must always be provided as proof (complete information entered in the service schedule as service record and the bill of the relevant service)".

That's why I think as I do.

Well news to me. Whenever a vehicle came in to any of the Vag dealer's I worked for and I had to carry out a repair under warranty I just asked for a warranty job sheet from the service advisor. As long as the vehicle was under 3 year's old and less than 60000 miles or unlimited mileage in the first 2 year's it was full steam ahead. Nobody ever asked me to check the service history.