Freezing windscreen in the inside!?

sleepysloth

Hi guys, I have a citigo 2012 and have noticed on those very cold days the windscreen freezes in the inside, there isn't any excess moisture inside the car, so I don't really get it? I would understand if it was an old car but it's not. Does anyone else get this issue?

Thanks

Jodie :sun:

Mine doesn't do this.

Modern aircon isn't like the old days where it uses a lot of fuel and had its own seperate clutch. As said its electric and you won't use anymore fuel with it switched on [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Mine doesn't do this.

Modern aircon isn't like the old days where it uses a lot of fuel and had its own seperate clutch. As said its electric and you won't use anymore fuel with it switched on [emoji4]

It will use more fuel as the alternator provides the electrical power and that uses some of the mechanical energy produced by the engine.

You can here the effect increased electrical load has by turning everything electrical on together (heated rear screen, headlights, fog lights etc.), listen to the engine note and revs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I know that but it's not using any more than any other electrical component. It's spinning all the time but it's not like the old clutch driven units that really zapped the power out of the engine.

Back on topic. It would be best as said to buy the dehumidifier packs [emoji106]

• Like 1

It would be worth checking the spare wheel well and all the carpets, if you haven't already done so.  Also try airing out the car when the weather is OK.  Our Leon has always suffered from condensation and putting a fan heater in the car for about 10 minutes normally clears it up for a couple of weeks.  That and stopping the kids leaving damp stuff and drinks in the car.

Hi guys, I have a citigo 2012 and have noticed on those very cold days the windscreen freezes in the inside, there isn't any excess moisture inside the car, so I don't really get it? I would understand if it was an old car but it's not. Does anyone else get this issue?

Thanks

Jodie :sun:

Have you replaced pollen filter? And is window clean? Dirty window will collect more moisture. Rubber mats would be good if you don't already have them.

I don't think the AC runs on fuel on the citigo, I think it's off the battery :) try buying a couple of dehumidifiers

The energy that is fed into the battery via the generator, is ultimately driven by the engine. Hence, the fuel consumption will increase using the AC.

However, the AC compressor does not start at subzero temperatures anyways. You must open a window a little and run the fan at full speed and high temperatur for a while.

The cold outside air contains very little humidity, and when it warms up, the relative humidity will drop - then it will reduce the humidity inside. When you breathes, you exhale humidity. As long the cabin is still cold, the relative humidity will rise causing the humidity to condense and freeze at you cold windows. There is no other workaround to this problem. I have used my car at - 25 degrees Celcius for some days - it is a problem, not only at this car but any car I have had.

Br.

Vidar

Edited by Citigo2032

Why do folk worry about the miniscule amount of extrafuel they may use if the aircon is on?

Yes maybe at idle but when your wafting along I doubt there is any noticable difference.

Mines on permanantly and I have tried it without, I can't tell any difference in the fuel it's using.

It is strange though reading folk who seem to have misting/freezing up problems whilst others, same make, model have nothing to mention in terms of these problems. Not just the Citigo model either.

Edited by MickA
  • Like 2

Why do folk worry about the miniscule amount of extrafuel they may use if the aircon is on?

Yes maybe at idle but when your wafting along I doubt there is any noticable difference.

Mines on permanantly and I have tried it without, I can't tell any difference in the fuel it's using.

It is strange though reading folk who seem to have misting/freezing up problems whilst others, same make, model have nothing to mention in terms of these problems. Not just the Citigo model either.

I use aircon almost 100% of the time, and I still get up to 76mpg. It should not be a concern or consideration, the fuel usage of using aircon is barely measurable. And at that level of subtlety, I choose vision over Loss of 0.0001mpg... I'm sure I can spare that tiny bit of fuel so that I can actually see while driving :D

• Like 2

Mines in a garage always at 10 degrees [emoji106]

I don't get any moisture whilst parked outside at work for 8 hours. The only time I did it was on recirc and it mists badly. I forgot to switch it back [emoji6]

AC compressor is belt driven, I just checked. It's under the alternator.

I don't like to use AC on cold weather, as it takes longer to get warm air out of heater.

Mines absolutely roasting after a couple of miles driving, I'm reaching for the "turn the heat down knob" I settle for around 22 c. ^^^^^^But we aren't in Finland^^^^^^ :think: Bet it's like summer to you if you came over here now. :sun:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This was the interior of my Rapid:

20150119_082425_zpsff7d7630.jpg

Before buying one of these

It used to take me 10-15 minutes to scrape the inside of the windscreen

Now I don't get any condensation on the front windscreen and only occasionally on the back. I have the aircon on all of the time and before I park up I switch the blowers to the floor, to full cold and the fan to zero so stop any air coming through.

Edited by Delberthot

You park up with a nice warm car inside with lots of moisture inside due to breathing. The windscreen cools down faster than anything else so the moisture condenses on the windscreen and then freezes when the temperature drops. The only way to avoid this is to remove the moisture or cool the air in the car to close to outside temperature after stopping, flap the door a couple of times. One other thing, if you don't open a window very slightly you don't get the full effect of the blowers on the heater as, like the old beetle, these little cars are virtually airtight.

There is exit vents in the boot, so ventilation isn't as poor as it is in old beetle. :notme:

Well, all I can say, is that if you put the blower on then open a window very slightly the airflow from the blower increases considerably. Try it.