Tyres

I dont know whether this has been covered before, but I recently changed front tyres on my tdi elegance.

The car came with fitted Dunlop Sportmax (215/45/16) and since I bought it, I have always thought the car had poor grip, wallowy handling, mediocre ride and was noisy - but hey, its got lots of good things going for it too!

About 1500 miles ago, I had a pair of Goodyear Excellence fitted to the front as my old tyres were getting lowish and there was a tear in one sidewall.

Wow! What a difference. The car is totally transformed. Grip is better, its quieter, I'm getting a couple more MPG, Steering is lighter and handling is now pleasant and the ride has improved no end. I have never experienced such a difference a new set of tyres has made to a car - and I have owned a lot of cars. This must be the best £180 you can ever spend to improve the rapid - I'm thinking of doing the backs as well which are still like new.

And no - I dont work for goodyear, It isnt the placebo effect and yes the pressures are the same. It may work with other tyres too. It seems perhaps the sportmax just isnt really suitable for this car. So why do Skoda fit them?

• Like 1

Thanks for posting. Interesting info for someone like me who is a new Rapid Spaceback owner, currently contemplating a switch from the OEM 15" "Carme" alloys (to 16" or 17" rims) and wondering what new tyres to go for.

I dont know whether this has been covered before, but I recently changed front tyres on my tdi elegance.

The car came with fitted Dunlop Sportmax (215/45/16) and since I bought it, I have always thought the car had poor grip, wallowy handling, mediocre ride and was noisy - but hey, its got lots of good things going for it too!

About 1500 miles ago, I had a pair of Goodyear Excellence fitted to the front as my old tyres were getting lowish and there was a tear in one sidewall.

Wow! What a difference. The car is totally transformed. Grip is better, its quieter, I'm getting a couple more MPG, Steering is lighter and handling is now pleasant and the ride has improved no end. I have never experienced such a difference a new set of tyres has made to a car - and I have owned a lot of cars. This must be the best £180 you can ever spend to improve the rapid - I'm thinking of doing the backs as well which are still like new.

And no - I dont work for goodyear, It isnt the placebo effect and yes the pressures are the same. It may work with other tyres too. It seems perhaps the sportmax just isnt really suitable for this car. So why do Skoda fit them?

How many miles had you done on the Dunlops before they started to wear (forget about the sidewall tear for now)? I'm mindful that our cars are quite new to the market, so guessing you are either a taxi driver, a rep or have a long commute to and from the office to have warn them down low enough to warrant replacement?

I've not had any issues with grip on the 15inch factory Dunlops on my car (They've done jut over 9,000 miles on them so far, plenty of tread left - I'm currently on my winter wheels) - in fact I find them very grippy indeed. But Oh My God are they noisy - possibly the noisiest tyres I've ever had fitted to a car. The racket they make, even on the smooth parts, of the M3 during my morning commute is beyond funny and several people have thought there was something wrong with the car or that the brakes were sticking. No, just tyre noise.

Currently on my winter tyres, which are nothing special, but they are silent in comparison.

I can't justify a premature replacement of my Dunlops just on noise grounds, but I'll be glad when they are worn out so I can lob them. Will either go for my preferred Barum Bravuris tyres (made by Continental in the Czech Republic) or if there's a good deal on at Costco, I'll go for Michelin Energy Savers.

Mine came with Bridgestone Turanza 16" but if I had a choice I would have chosen Continental Contact 3. They seemed a quieter tyre when came fitted to my Citigo, but different cars behave differently on various brands.

The ones on at the moment are staying, they are not overly noisy but can be over rough surfaces, I've done the hatch adjustment thing. It's going to take me a long time to wear these out, unless they go off at an alarming rate beforehand.

My Toledo has 17" Dunlop Sportmax 215/40/17 and the ride is quite harsh. I recently fitted Nexen Wingard Sport winter tyres in the same profile and the ride is much improved. They are excellent in the snow and cold and perform better than expected for a budget winter tyre. For £260 fitted from MytyresI think I have got a bargain and the only downside is a slight reduction in fuel economy.  :happy:

"tyrereviews.co.uk" contributors loathe the Dunlop Sportmaxx - mostly because it is so noisy. 

My car came with OEM Conti PremiumContact 2 instead - quiet, grippy, showing no wear, even on the front, at 11000 miles.

I was told uniroyal rainsports are the way to go, has anyone got or used them.

I put a set of budget tyres on the wifes 500 sport. they grip like **** to a blank, quiet and have that rating of C and C with noise of 71db.

£200 all in for 205/40/17

Yes a thumbsup for the Rainsports, although mine were on an MX-5. Now changed that car and went for Kumho, again excellent grip, wet or dry.

It's all about what really suits the car, sort of trial and error. I've had top range tyres and budget tyres, some of the supposedly top notch brands have been pants were as the budgets seem good for the money.

How many miles had you done on the Dunlops before they started to wear (forget about the sidewall tear for now)? I'm mindful that our cars are quite new to the market, so guessing you are either a taxi driver, a rep or have a long commute to and from the office to have warn them down low enough to warrant replacement?

I've not had any issues with grip on the 15inch factory Dunlops on my car (They've done jut over 9,000 miles on them so far, plenty of tread left - I'm currently on my winter wheels) - in fact I find them very grippy indeed. But Oh My God are they noisy - possibly the noisiest tyres I've ever had fitted to a car. The racket they make, even on the smooth parts, of the M3 during my morning commute is beyond funny and several people have thought there was something wrong with the car or that the brakes were sticking. No, just tyre noise.

Currently on my winter tyres, which are nothing special, but they are silent in comparison.

I can't justify a premature replacement of my Dunlops just on noise grounds, but I'll be glad when they are worn out so I can lob them. Will either go for my preferred Barum Bravuris tyres (made by Continental in the Czech Republic) or if there's a good deal on at Costco, I'll go for Michelin Energy Savers.

I dont know how many miles they had done. Car was an ex fleet and had done 13000 before I got it - 17500 at tyre change and 20000 now. I dont know if these were the originals, but I changed them because of the tear, because they were down to 3mm and frankly because i didnt feel at all confident driving the car enthusiastically - which is how I normally drive.  I dont think I've ever got more than 12000 out of a pair of fronts on a FWD car. Seriously, change the tyres - my car has gone from a bit of a dog to a pleasure to drive - its like a new car. Therefore I repeat my question: Why on earth do Skoda fit Sportmaxx when they are not at all suitable for the car? This could put off potential buyers.

I dont know how many miles they had done. Car was an ex fleet and had done 13000 before I got it - 17500 at tyre change and 20000 now.

So either an ex rep's car or ex hire car - either way it would not have been driven carefully, so the tyres will have had to put up with a degree of battering.

I dont know if these were the originals, but I changed them because of the tear, because they were down to 3mm and frankly because i didnt feel at all confident driving the car enthusiastically - which is how I normally drive.  I dont think I've ever got more than 12000 out of a pair of fronts on a FWD car.

I would put money on it that they were the original factory tyres. 12,000 miles out of your fronts (even on a FWD car) is bad - even driving like you stole it, I'd expect someone to get closer to 20K. As it's my daily driver, I choose to drive a bit more sedately and carefully, so it will be another 10-15k at least before my fronts need doing. Bought mine ex dealer demo with 6k on the clock. The tyres were in good shape, so at least mine hasn't been ragged too badly before I got it.

Seriously, change the tyres - my car has gone from a bit of a dog to a pleasure to drive - its like a new car. Therefore I repeat my question: Why on earth do Skoda fit Sportmaxx when they are not at all suitable for the car? This could put off potential buyers.

Noisy as they are I won't throw out perfectly serviceable tyres when they've got so much life left in them - it would be a huge waste of money. I measured earlier, I've got 7-8mm of tread left on them.

As for why they fit them - bulk purchase makes them cheap - the fewer different types and brands of tyre they have to fit at the factory the better. That said, my mum's Fabia has the same size wheels and tyres as my Rapid. Her factory tyres (inc the spare) are Bridgestones - a world better than the Dunlops in terms of noise and handling. Why they switched I don't know, but I wish they hadn't.

Running Uniroyal winters on our Fabia and the Spaceback and would recommend them.

Had the Goodyear Excellence factory fitted to our first Yeti; liked them overall with the exception of ice or snow conditions were grip was poor. However they are better than the Dunlop's or Conti's that often find there way onto Skoda's at the factory.

TP

12000 isn't a lot at all. I used to get 18000 out of the fronts on the Civic and that was fast cornering that did that. Most I ever had out of a set of fronts was 27000 on a Fiat Punto

I was contemplating the Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres when it comes time to change mine but there's plenty of time to make that decision. I've probably got about 2 years before I'll need to think about it, more if I rotate them and change all 4 at once.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what tyre size the Skoda rapid sport comes with standard? I have a flat tyre and need to get a new tyre but didn't check the size when leaving the house this morning!! Thanks :)

215/40/17 87v

Dunlop Sport MAXX tyres are just crap.  Noisy, hard ride and a hard compound which means poor grip in the colder and wetter UK.  On a hot dry day when you can lean on them and get them hot, they grip well.  At any other time, they are rubbish.  Sadly they also take ages to wear out :(

I was hoping my Rapid wouldn't have them on, and joy-of-joys, it has a very nice set of Bridgestones on.  So far they seem to be quiet and grip well.  Lets see how long they last.

If you're changing from Dunlops, try Goodyear F1's or Toyo T1-R.  Both massively better grip and a hell of a lot quieter.

great site for researching tyres:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Thousands and thousands of consumer reports from people like us, and links to magazine tyre group tests.

In my required 215/40R17 size Dunlop Sportmaxx and Goodyear Efficient grip are adjacent in around 40th place!!

Edited by camelspyyder