OutlawKens vrs mk1

OutlawKen

Next job to do is fit this having found a wet gearbox the other day. TPS to the rescue again.

photo0245.jpg

And a couple of photos of the car on the ramp before I raised it slightly today. The rear springs are wound as high as they will go and the tyres still rub the inner plastics on bumps but its ok.

photo0241.jpg

photo0240.jpg

photo0239.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So had trip to blyton on the weekend and my first bit of track action in the passenger seat of my friends 340bhp s14 200sx and wow what a rush! Really wanna get the vrs ready for track days and cant wait for it to be. Things are planned and il leave this post saying new wheels will be on by bank holiday monday so keep em pealed (the fake lms are for sale btw) cant wait

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So had a good weekend, 500 miles in all, went to carfest south saturday which was a good day out followed by a drive to worcester and I night in a travel lodge so I could collect this sunday morning from a lovely chap called mat who im sure was on hear before his car was written off and stripped, he gave me his post cat lambda free as well and raised my issue of my rear springs being so low even when the car is as high as the coilovers allow, I will be contacting the supplier soon

Screenshot_2016-08-25-20-51-05.png

Will fit it this week hopefully. Then carried on driving upto stoke on trent to buy these pro race 2s, I was after 1.2s but noticed alot of people run them and these came up for a good price and look very nice, complement my stud conversion too

20160828_185607.jpg

20160828_185710.jpg

Edited by OutlawKen
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So update on the spring situation, supplier asked for some photos and after a few days sent me some different springs, slightly worried as they say golf 5 all over them so did some research on here and google and came up with the fact that the springs that were to low and hitting coil on coil are the usual ones sent out for octavia! Couldnt find anything about the part number on the new springs and had a small concern that they are not progressively sprung like the old ones but thought id try them and check how they fit. Well their on and the polar opposite of before, I now have the platforms as low as they go instead of right up, have abit more clearance than id like but means the 8mm spacers are back on and hopefully it will drop 3-5mm when they wear in. Must say its much more comfortable too and no more rubbing over bumps. Will report and do photos once its done a few miles and I have done the final adjustments.

Now next up I need some longer shock bolts so I can fit my rarb, really looking forward to fitting this

Edited by OutlawKen
  • Like 1

Roll bar on, found some bolts long enough at work and being for a daf truck they should be strong enough! Only down side is im skint so cant go out and test it properly but did notice on way home from work its much tighter and the steerings so much more responsive. Also theres a bend on route that I can usually light the ns wheel up in second and now it grips nice. Very happy.

IMG_20160920_192013.jpg

Photo0255.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

So more typicalness happened, replaced the water connector last weekend which stopped the leak its had for ages, old design connectors rubbish with no reinforcement for the o ring hence why it was really stretched! While at it I finally fitted the forge blank I bought ages back and removed the 2 valves and soldered in some resistors. Still need to remove the air pump but il get to that.

20161009_123418.jpg

Nice and shiny, look at all that dry rusty water underneath!

Now to typicalness, I had to remove the oil can for access and doing so found why I could smell burning oil for a couple of days before this.

20161009_123544.jpg

Yep pipe out the oil module had snapped! Replaced it yesterday in prep for santa pod saturday, cant wait, havent been down the track in 2 n half years and that was boring in my old 530i so really not run properly in 7 years when I had the mustang. Hoping to dip into 14s. Videos will follow

• Like 2

Screenshot_2016-10-23-13-00-23.png

Me and a guy from work yesterday, had a good day, car only played up on 1 run not letting me rev after changing gear, cleared the codes and drove it around the pits and was ok again. Considering I had the spare, tool kit, jack and sub in the boot and still have a boost leak my last run of 15,31 made me very happy. 14s next time im sure, got a few ideas for next time but wont be til later next year after baby arrives and grows abit.

Check out the race number

20161023_100731.jpg

Also find my vids here

Edited by OutlawKen
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Mini update time, bought the rear lock mechs from ebay a few weeks back and finally fitted the off side one today as that door lock just electrically dead rather than dead locked. Fairly easy job although I think I may have broken the outer handle were it hooks inside but il have another look at it tomo. Now tomo is gonna be interesting as ill hopefully get my "deadlock buster" wings on the other door. Will need a front passenger one soon too as its starting to disobey.

On a modified note I have started collecting tt/lrc front bits, got the lower arms with powerflex bushes for a good price, will get the hubs and new bearings next and fit it all up, not sure if il go all the way with a sub frame and quick rack but time will tell

• Like 2

So I can report I have working rear doors again and although not perfect and not finished im happy cos it ment I could get the mot done and she passed hooraaahh. My track day buddy did thd test just needing to fit a number plate bulb and adjust my head lights (electric adjuster has never worked and is near the bottom of the fix list)

Had 3 advisories of which 2 were tyres near to 3mm and the other is slight play in a ball joint which is coming off for a tt lower arm and hub upgrade anyway so very happy especially after last years failing mot with a list of jobs.

Have added this photo for people searching dead locked doors, this is my rear n/s lock after drilling it and knocking motor cog out the way cos as I did that it clonked and let me open the door, no smashing required, I was trying to get to the lower cog to wind it up to un dead lock but once the motor cog was removed it let me open the door, now im thinking I got lucky as I have heard never of this working before but il take it.

Photo0261.jpg

Only issue I had was the new aftermarket lock that side once bolted up didnt have enough clearance between the outer mechanisms and door frame so I kept getting a slack inside handle but only when the door card was bolted up which was annoying, nothing a pry bar cant solve

Happy happy man

Edited by OutlawKen
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well what a git that was! Had a belt noise in engine for a little while now and thought it was the aux belt or a pulley on that belt so didnt really worry and I could have paid the price! When I checked it the noise weren't as far forward as the aux belt and I could hear it was under the cam cover which instantly made me think "o my water light came on today, must be the water pump, o shhhh*******"

Needless to say id just bought my tt ball joints, hubs and bearings for my tt arms and really didnt have money left over for a cam belt and water pump kit. Backed into a corner I went on ebay and found a gates kit for just under 100 quid which I think is a great price just had to wait a couple days for payday. The car was driven very smoothly for those few days knowing I could blow it up!

So kit came and as luck would have it I was asked to swap a late shift for a early meaning 20 hours between shifts so at 16.30 monday the car went on the ramp. Now im only a diy mechanic, have only done 1 cam belt before and that took me ages so thought id need 6 hours for the vrs. I was wrong! 3.30 in the morning I rolled it off the ramp! Belt was out by a tooth on my first attempt and had issues with the m5 thread tool you need to wind the tensioner down (I bent it In half) but now everythings spot on, car runs better and the old water pump was completely shot which is good.

Photo0270.jpg

Im a messy one!

Photo0271.jpg

What was removed, would be nice to remove more pipes and the power steering bottle but thought best not to.

Photo0269.jpg

Said pipes and a tiny bit of the bottle. Pump was clearly leaking for a while. Cars gonna hit 140k this month so new belt and tensioners gives me peace of mind. Its had a belt in the past as I found old marks and it werent to worn but tensioner was original and so was the water pump.

Next up fit my hubs and front n/s lock mech

Edited by OutlawKen
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Right so I have booked in with bossfox for a track day on 10th april and got a few jobs to do so here is a roadkill style list of things I need to get done by then!

Oil and filter change 5w-40 

Fuel filter change

Reseal exhaust and check front lambda as I have a inconsistent code recorded

Brake fluid change

Fit tt hubs and lower arms, r32 farb, new bearings and ball joints and adjust coilovers to suit

Get tracking done

Fit my front mount, trial and permanently

Finish the deletes, remove carbon canister,  remove air pump

Do gear cable align to try aid 3rd to 2nd down shift

Adjust rarb to full stiffness

I have most of these bits ready to go, payday tomo so will buy the rest. Got a busy few weeks ahead of me

• Like 2

I saw this Snetterton track day too and thought, "I wonder...?"  however, I'm not sure as the car is still on old standard suspension and cheap budget tyres, but at least a track day would take some tread off then.  My original yellow peril use to whiz round quite nicely,  should I give it a go? 

Edited by Leeboy

23 minutes ago, Leeboy said:

I saw this Snetterton track day too and thought, "I wonder...?"  however, I'm not sure as the car is still on old standard suspension and cheap budget tyres, but at least a track day would take some tread off then.  My original yellow peril use to whiz round quite nicely,  should I give it a go? 

Hell yea you should, im on cheap rubbish fk streets with mid range falkens and I no I keep putting it off so thought screw it im doing it, my first time n im bricking it already but bringing a mate with a quick 200sx to hold my hand lol plus we need more skodas to come n balance out the naughty nissans on the list

12 hours ago, OutlawKen said:

Hell yea you should, im on cheap rubbish fk streets with mid range falkens and I no I keep putting it off so thought screw it im doing it, my first time n im bricking it already but bringing a mate with a quick 200sx to hold my hand lol plus we need more skodas to come n balance out the naughty nissans on the list

Damn. Checked my work calendar and I've got a 6 weekly departmental meeting already scheduled for that Monday. Guess I'll need to look to later in the year.  :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its a whiteline 24mm bar. 4x4 bars are different as they mount to the axle cradle were the 2wd bars just brace the rear beam. As for traffic yes I been quiet since posting my list of jobs but friday night this happened

photo0278.jpg

Its not pretty by any means, the piping needs some tweaking and I will be buying a dv relocation pipe for a nicer throttle feed.

photo0280.jpg

Attacked with a acetylcholine torch! Il clean this up when time allows!

photo0282.jpg

All piped up, this was fitted to a non map sensor golf so was very pleased that with a forge map pipe I could get it fully plumbed. You can just about see the lower brackets in these pics, didnt wanna just hang it from the top so its bolted on 2 flats underneath coming off the rad support.

Then yesterday my mate very kindly changed my brake fluid at his work and came back to find he also changed the oil and filter and fuel filter (hes a true gent) so couple more things done before the track day. Got a maf and front lambda coming to try cure the torque limit exceeded code which hopefully was down to the boost leak from the old hardlines but il fit these too.

Not sure if il get the tt hubs and bits on for the 10th but we shall see, needs to be running right first

Edited by OutlawKen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

F in car, this could be the start of the end of KUU! Last night I stripped the hubs and went to remove the lower arms to find all of the captive nuts have come away meaning I cant get them off without major surgery or a S3 TT sub frame which was part of the plan BUT im now really worried when undoing the sub frame bolts will those captive nuts come away and if so that will be the end of the car as im not cutting and welding it up as this cars not the straightest after a tough life and cat c repair! 

Still going snetterton monday and just see what happens. I have cured the running issue, once again my turbo to manifold bolts came undone so have bought a new gasket and a locking washer from awesome gti which I need to trim some metal away from the manifold to fit. Also fitting a creations dv relocation pipe today getting rid of the last old boost pipe.

Will update tuesday with video yay

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The car made it yay! Snetterton was great, a few things to look into though before I do another. My brake pads hardened very quickly and I was getting oil surge which I believe was due to it getting to hot so maybe 5-40s no good and 10-40s better, will flush the coolant and fit a new oil cooler as I think it maybe clogged. Day to day drivings fine and no knocks in the engine thank god.

SR_170410_MSVT_SN_3972.jpg

Picked up a lcr sub frame today with good captive nuts and bushes and a brace. Exhaust brackets already been removed which was a bonus. Will get the quick rack next month and try get it all fitted when time allows.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Small update time, not bought a steering rack yet, just waiting for a good priced one to show up as im in no rush. Have however paid buddy and his old estate a visit as I really liked the honeycomb grille he made for it a while back, got my supplies to paint it but the weathers let me down this weekend so will see if I can do it at work. Noticed a nice set of draft 42 shifter bushes and 034 bracket bushes so they left with me too so a big thank you to buddy for those. Have got a forge short shifter on its way so hope to have this done by weekend. As the shift bushes were already fitted on his car I dont need to cut the rubber bush up, just swap them over so well chuffed. Also got some auto glym magic sponges coming in an attempt to give the interior a good clean. Interested to see if these things work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I have completed my parts haul and then some lol!

20170513_201051.jpg

Picked this up yesterday locally off a 79k lcr, only wanted the steering rack but the guy wouldn't split it up so now have a spare sub frame, cast arms and lcr roll bar which hopefully I can selĺ for the price I paid and get a free quick rack yay. Gonna clean it all up and give it all a lick of paint and hope to have the rack and other bits I have had for ages finally fitted up then il be booking another track day and give the pod another run or 2

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So this is going to be the saddest post il ever post on briskoda. Having got so far with this car and done things I'll never forget (bringing my daughter home from hospital when she was born to racing around snetterton) im not going any further with it. Part of me is very sad as I have so many parts to fit and enjoy but the cars not in a good way and has never run right since buying it. Rear arches are very rusty, sills are as strong as paper, the windscreen cracked when I popped in on buddy and the insides no longer big enough for family commitments I have coming up.

So last monday I showed the other half a picture of a car I was attempting to describe to her and to my amazement instead of the usual "not another car" comment I got "I want it" followed by "il front you the money untiĺ you get the money back on your car". 

So after checking she was feeling ok and I werent dreaming I collected this yesterday,  only 220 miles from my house but well worth it.

IMG_20170604_152202_261.jpg

Ellie dont look impressed in the photo but on her first trip she slept the whole time so must mean she's happy.

So as I say the vrs is being parted out, really wanted to keep this car forever and would have loved to sell it on but with the issues it wouldn't be fair or economical to do. If your after anything feel free to message.

Wanna say how great this forum is, so much information on here and I found the car through the site so thank you for that.

• Like 1