How to update the Kenwood DNX525 start-up screen

humsk

Hi folks,

After replacing the standard Bolero head unit with a Kenwood DNX525DAB unit, I've updated the start up screen with something more suitable for my Yeti.

There are a number of videos online demonstrating how to do it for other Kenwood models but nothing for the DNX525 so here goes:

1 – before you start, you’ll need your new image scaled to 800 x 480 pixels and saved in the 16 bit r5g6b5 .bmp format on a USB memory stick.

2 – turn the unit on as normal then whilst holding down both the MENU and TEL buttons, momentarily press the RESET button (just below the AUDIO button) with the point of a biro or pencil. You have to do this fairly quickly otherwise the unit turns off as the MENU button also sets it in standby.

3 – the unit will power off but still hold down the MENU and TEL buttons and wait until it turns back on (the normal Kenwood start up screen will be displayed). You can now release the MENU and TEL buttons.

4 – after powering up, the “Opening Image Change” screen is displayed.

5 – Plug in your USB memory stick containing the required bitmap image and select ‘OEM Image’.

post-1280-0-35408000-1424107039_thumb.jpg

6 – as the unit can't display bitmaps in this format, the images you can select from are shown as blank boxes – select one and its file name will be displayed (“yeti.bmp” in my case). If it’s the wrong one, assuming there are more than one on the memory stick, press ‘Cancel’ and pick another. Don’t worry that “No Image” is displayed.

post-1280-0-12395900-1424107077_thumb.jpg            post-1280-0-61817200-1424107090_thumb.jpg

7 – once you’ve select the required image, press ‘Enter’ and wait until it finishes writing the image.

8 – press the MENU button until the unit powers off, wait a few seconds and press MENU again to turn it back on. Your new image should now be displayed instead of the original Kenwood one. This is my image - something a little different to the standard Skoda "Welcome aboard" one.

post-1280-0-05173000-1424107111_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming the same method would apply for updating the DNX521 head unit.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Andrew,

thanks for sharing this. Will get my first Yeti in a few days, and plan to buy the Kenwood DNX525DAB.

Did you have any troubles fitting yours? 

GPS antenna under the dash top box?

And which DAB antenna did you use, if any? FM will last in Denmark until 2019, so no hurry there...

Thank you in advance,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone have or know of somewhere that has a selection of startup screens?

http://www.gpsunderground.com has a selection, but if you search for images of exactly 800x480 you'll get quite a few options, including a couple of (rather crap looking) Skoda ones.  Get an image editor (Gimp2, for example), get some images & textures, and create your own.

Hi.  Thanks for that.  Just one correction: the image has to be on a microSD card, not on the USB.  Just finished fitting mine & this was really useful.

• 2 months later...

Guys help !

Just bought an Kenwood DNX510vbt and I cannot change the start-up screen.

I hold SRC and TEL buttons and immediately I press reset button.It does not have MENU button. The unit reboots, I release the reset button and keep pressing SRC and TEL, until the buttons light again, then I release but the unit starts resetted and does not show the splash screen.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 16.02.2015 at 17:36, humsk said:

Hi folks,

After replacing the standard Bolero head unit with a Kenwood DNX525DAB unit, I've updated the start up screen with something more suitable for my Yeti.

There are a number of videos online demonstrating how to do it for other Kenwood models but nothing for the DNX525 so here goes:

1 – before you start, you’ll need your new image scaled to 800 x 480 pixels and saved in the 16 bit r5g6b5 .bmp format on a USB memory stick.

2 – turn the unit on as normal then whilst holding down both the MENU and TEL buttons, momentarily press the RESET button (just below the AUDIO button) with the point of a biro or pencil. You have to do this fairly quickly otherwise the unit turns off as the MENU button also sets it in standby.

3 – the unit will power off but still hold down the MENU and TEL buttons and wait until it turns back on (the normal Kenwood start up screen will be displayed). You can now release the MENU and TEL buttons.

4 – after powering up, the “Opening Image Change” screen is displayed.

5 – Plug in your USB memory stick containing the required bitmap image and select ‘OEM Image’.

post-1280-0-35408000-1424107039_thumb.jpg

6 – as the unit can't display bitmaps in this format, the images you can select from are shown as blank boxes – select one and its file name will be displayed (“yeti.bmp” in my case). If it’s the wrong one, assuming there are more than one on the memory stick, press ‘Cancel’ and pick another. Don’t worry that “No Image” is displayed.

post-1280-0-12395900-1424107077_thumb.jpg            post-1280-0-61817200-1424107090_thumb.jpg

7 – once you’ve select the required image, press ‘Enter’ and wait until it finishes writing the image.

8 – press the MENU button until the unit powers off, wait a few seconds and press MENU again to turn it back on. Your new image should now be displayed instead of the original Kenwood one. This is my image - something a little different to the standard Skoda "Welcome aboard" one.

post-1280-0-05173000-1424107111_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming the same method would apply for updating the DNX521 head unit.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi. Are you still on this forum? If yes, I would like ask you for few things about kenwood DNX.

7 hours ago, Zgarbiony said:

Hi. Are you still on this forum? If yes, I would like ask you for few things about kenwood DNX.

Yes, I'm still around but don't get much chance to read and post these days.  Please fire away with your questions ......

On 30.05.2015 at 16:42, Jelibeli said:

Hi.  Thanks for that.  Just one correction: the image has to be on a microSD card, not on the USB.  Just finished fitting mine & this was really useful.

I did this from USB. 

11 hours ago, humsk said:

Yes, I'm still around but don't get much chance to read and post these days.  Please fire away with your questions ......

11 hours ago, humsk said:

Hey,

Thanks to the fact that I found information provided by you about the way of changing the starter graphic, I managed to change the picture in my Kenwood to the one I wanted to have for a long time. Unfortunately, something went wrong. I do not blame your advice absolutely :-). I had to do something wrong accidentally. Everything works, but the unit does not remember basic settings such as changing the language e.t.c. No radio stations. Each time during start up, I have to set everything again. The really strange thing is that the unit seems to have set itself in a demo version. When I  try to eject a disc from the drive, a message appears on the display informing that I can not remove the disc  because it works as the demo version. Maybe this is the main reason of  this mess... I even tried to disconnect the power for a few minutes, without any result. Any idea what I could have done wrong or accidentally changed?

Sorry to hear that your HU is stuck in demo mode  :sadsmile:

A couple of suggestions : have you tried pressing the reset button next to the volume knob?  Worth a try - both with the unit off and with it on.

Also what software is yours running?  Bear in mind that my HU is over 3 years old so newer ones may have changed.  I have updated the firmware in mine a couple of times - the photo below shows the current settings.

Hope this helps, 

Andrew

20180424_193722(1).jpg

Hi. Thanks for the answer. I did it according to your advice and it did not work. But it's my fault because I did it twice. Probably of and on again :biggrin:. And it was still the same problem. I just did it once. "Menu" button together with "Reset". And everything works. Thanks again. Especially for instructions on changing the start logo. Regards.