With or Without Black Pack?

I've noticed that most owners or potential owners of a shiny new vRS are going for the Black Pack styling to be a bit 'different' and stand out from the norm, but is it just me or does anyone else think the black mirror housing and grille surround look a bit 'cheap', especially with those ghastly Gemini wheels?

Not only does the MkIII vRS look better with the standard chrome grille and body colour mirrors, but apparently it would seem, more exclusive!

• Like 1

I disagree, i think the black pack helps the Octavia stand out from other run of the mill euro boxes. I also suspect that the number of members of this forum are only represent a fraction of the number of them sold.

It's like colour choice, all personal preference.

I wouldn't have dreamed of having my Rallye Green without the black pack - I think it looks much meaner/aggressive with it.

I've never been a fan of chrome though, I've always gone for the black pack on my cars if the option existed (and I've have Blue, White, Silver, Yellow, Black, Green over the years!).

Down to your own preference. I ordered the black pack plus so I could get the 19" extremes. Also I do happen to prefer the race blue with the black pack!

Didn't order black pack with my Rally Green estate. Then thought, if I catch the mirrors on the tight access on my drive, It would be easier to respray them black, rather try to match to the body. So added it. Glad I did.

Down to your own preference. I ordered the black pack plus so I could get the 19" extremes. Also I do happen to prefer the race blue with the black pack!

Ditto

(apart from the 19's, which I would have ordered if my back wasn't foo barred)

I also think those "ghastly" Gemini wheels in anthracite suit the car in pretty much all the colours, the only thing that they don't do is fill the arches properly, hence some people have used 10mm spacers to bring them out a tad (which I will be doing when I get my car).

I chose the black pack not to be different but because I hate chrome. They only thing metallic/shiny on a new car could/should be the exhaust.

I do like chrome on old-timers and classic cars, but on my cars I got rid of anything chrome quite fast.

But as I say "I", it's down to preference. there are quite a few pictures around here or the net in general, choose your colour, choose chrome or black and decide what YOU like best. You pay for it ;-)

..... the only thing that they don't do is fill the arches properly, hence some people have used 10mm spacers to bring them out a tad (which I will be doing when I get my car).

Hmmm ...... think I might do the same, are the wheels 5 x 112 same as the MkII?

I'm not sure as my car hasn't been built yet, let alone have a wheel to actually measure! But I'm sure someone will be along at some point to say what size.

I know a couple of people on here have done it (for the life of me I can't remember which post's), and it just makes the cars stance just that little bit better.

I'm also going to fit the Eibach-Pro spring kit as it drops the car just enough to fill the arches a bit more, by getting rid of the huge gap between the top of the tyre and the arch.

(I'm going for the Eibachs as apparently they ride a bit softer than the H&R's)

Yes, 5x112 definately.

I have also put 10mm spacers on the rear wheels and I think it looks much better.

Thinking of doing the Eibach Pro Springs when funds allow too :)

I thought long and hard about the black pack , the thing that swung it for me was the roof rails , just think they look nicer , black pack also makes the wheels look a bit better and tying in the sunset glass

I very much like the Anthracite Geminis, but am concious of the fact that they are diamond cut/lacquered and as a consequence will eventually corrode and be a real pig to repair if kerbed.

I rather wish Skoda offered gloss black versions of the Gemini and Pictoris wheel....if I bought a vRS I would actually be very tempted to go either standard finsh gemini or pictoris and get the dealer to paint them for me. I didnt like the pictoris wheel on launch but it has really warmed on me.....particularly since seeing an early vRS owner had theirs painted black....looked brilliant.

I also v much like the Black pack....dechroming a vRS particularly with the right colour contrast seems to me to be the only thing to do....possibly the colour Id consider not doing it with is Black as arguably visibly you are only getting the black grille and it seems like rather a lot of money...also the chrome does actually look nice on the black car.

• Like 1

I very much like the Anthracite Geminis, but am concious of the fact that they are diamond cut/lacquered and as a consequence will eventually corrode and be a real pig to repair if kerbed.

I rather wish Skoda offered gloss black versions of the Gemini and Pictoris wheel....if I bought a vRS I would actually be very tempted to go either standard finsh gemini or pictoris and get the dealer to paint them for me. I didnt like the pictoris wheel on launch but it has really warmed on me.....particularly since seeing an early vRS owner had theirs painted black....looked brilliant.

I also v much like the Black pack....dechroming a vRS particularly with the right colour contrast seems to me to be the only thing to do....possibly the colour Id consider not doing it with is Black as arguably visibly you are only getting the black grille and it seems like rather a lot of money...also the chrome does actually look nice on the black car.

Yeah I'm anticipating refurbing mine all black at some point, but the diamond cut wheels on my Fabia didnt get kerbed and lasted two years before corroding , had the whole lot changed under warranty last year 

My car is candy white. I only wanted the black grill so bought it from the dealer after getting the car.

I've put 12mm and 15mm spacers on mine which I got off eBay for £50 a pair. Aluminium anodised black. Then longer bolts although I can't remember what I paid for them

Apologies for taking this thread off topic, but what type/manufacturer did you use?

And is it easy to do? Any pictures?

The spacers I used were H&R ones, bought from another Briskoda member. I don't think the ones I have are true hubcentric spacers because they are relatively thin, but I haven't had an issue in nearly 14,000 miles.

Very easy to do, one suggestion I would make (as was suggested to me) is to get some of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLOY-WHEEL-FITTING-ALIGNMENT-TOOL-SKODA-OCTAVIA-5-BOLT-LUG-NUT-3E-/230883682719?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item35c1bd699f

They make putting the wheels/spacers on much easier.

Obviously, you'll need to buy some longer bolts (with locking bolts if so inclined). The standard bolts are 27mm long so just add on whatever spacer thickeness you do. I got TPI bolts and they have been great.

Pictures, I put some here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/314108-its-arrived-now-with-briskoda-stickers-wheel-spacers-and-mudguards/?p=3782046

I hope that helps, if not I may(?) have some other pictures I can put up.

I rather wish Skoda offered gloss black versions of the Gemini and Pictoris wheel

You can plastidip them. Or properly spraypaint. I got my "tyreguy" to spraypaint my VW Interlagos wheels in white. No problems after 5 years of having them that way.

I like both the chrome and the black pack, the bodywork colour is what makes it work...or not.

My meteor grey with chrome and silver roof rails looks absolutely fine to me but I have recently spotted the same colour car with black pack and that looks tasty as well.

I don't think the black pack looks cheap, it just works much better with some body colours than others.

My candy white O3 VRS TDI estate came from the dealer with black grill surround and black pictoris alloys. Will upload a pic at some time in the future when it's clean...

I would be very interested in seeing Pictorus alloys in black  :thumbup:

For me I think the vRS should come with the black grille as standard and you opt for the mirrors to be black or a chromed grille

Not a bad shout actually, gives more flexibility when speccing a car.

I don't think the black pack looks cheap, it just works much better with some body colours than others.

Think I may have been a bit harsh saying the black pack looked 'cheap' and the Gemini wheel 'ghastly'........ personally I'm not a fan but I can see the appeal.

• Like 1