Hayselden Skoda - Doncaster

Well, I have bought a car unseen( despite these reviews) from them and will collect it in 2 weeks. So far the enquiries, questions and email response's have been excellent and in particular Cheri the sales exec. has responded to my emails quickly.

I am hoping that this service remains as we have a 1000 mile journey home. Will update later

Well, Having flown into East Mids from France and arranged transport to Hayselden, another 1 hour drive, the car was there, the dent had not been done and neither had the wheel scuff, to be fair they allowed me an amount to get these done,after driving home, 800 miles, it was noticed that despite repeated confirmation from the salesperson the towbar electrics were 7 pin NOT 13 pin despite the salesperson checking and confirming by email, again they allowed me the amount that was required to rewire a new socket.Total experience was dissappointing, the sales comments that "well it isnt a new car" as it was 3 years old, but by far the worst was the salesperson denying that we had had a conversation about the satnav, despite standing in front of the manager with me on the other end of the phone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by contrast I went to the dealer in Leamington Spa and the difference was brilliant,helpfull and genuine, I know where I will get my next car from and it won't be Doncaster.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Rang Hayselden about a used octavia they had in stock,got a guy called Rob Smith,very nice chap,listened to my questions & did his best to answer them,drove down to Doncaster today to look at & test drive the car,Rob was busy with another customer,so got a chap called brian,who took me on a test drive & was pretty helpful,he handed me over to Rob once he was free,he priced my car for part ex & after a little negotiation,i came away with a decent deal & i pick the car up in about a weeks time,overall a positive outcome

• 10 months later...

In the past 3 years of driving a Motability Superb 2.0 TDI Estate DSG, the Sales team, and Service team, have been excellent, being able to provide courtesy cars I requested, and carrying out work as required.  I haven't had to pay anything as it was (a)under warranty and (b)a motability vehicle, but they are always polite.

I have never dealt with their service manager so can't comment on that.

When we collected the car in April 2015 - they had put on the wrong number plates (not even similar to ours).  Luckily I noticed and advised our sales advisor who rectified it straight away.  They didn't put any fuel in though :( - however, never having a brand new car before, I didn't know if they did or not.

Ordered the next one from Bickerton in Sheffield...review of them once I pick up the car :)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Today, Hayseldens of Doncaster put 5w-40, 502.00 spec oil into my 2018 1.4tsi ACT Superb , as 1st part of my 2 service plan for £279 I paid (fool me) when I bought the car new.

This, despite stressing when booking the service and twice today when handing in, that, please, it MUST have 504 spec oil as shown on the factory sticker embossed on the slam panel. Assured by the receptionist it would.

The Master tech refused point blank to acknowledge any mistake had been made, he just kept repeating ad nauseum it was "just" an oil service and Skoda UK tell him that 5w-40, 502 spec oil is the correct oil for my engine. He was not interested in the sticker embossed in the engine bay slam panel or my requests when handing car in. "Not on the job card"

The receptionist who assured me (twice) that Longlife oil, 504 spec, would be used, and even mentioned it when I first arrived, just sat there and said nothing while I was lectured by the Master tech.

I have been reluctant to name Hayselden in my past posts but this is the last straw after a constant battles (some really major ones which I have never reported on Briskoda) with this dealers "service"  and often (lack of) warranty dept over many years and several Skodas. (Its not the first time they used the wrong oil either, why? to save what, £3 ??)

I specified it, my car specifies it in writing, I don't care what Skoda UK says and if they had an issue with that, I should have been informed before they did the service.

I will not return for the second "minor service" on my plan (oil and filter and maybe a pollen filter that will not need changing) or for any other regular servicing again. I do not like being treated like an idiot and since in the past experiencing damage to my cars while in their care, it makes me very nervous leaving a car there.

I will instead use a trusted independent I have known for many years instead. Far cheaper anyway and he will at least do what I ask.

So I've ended up paying up front £279 for an oil and filter change (car has only done 4k miles) got wrong oil, increased wear and consumption and no option to go extended interval. God knows what brand the oil was, in 16 years I've never had an answer whenever I asked.

I also always ask for them to return me the old sump plug, receptionist told me it was in the car, it wasn't. A curious request, sure, but I do like to check the factory fit item, since Hayseldens have fitted different sump plug types on successive services in the past, sometimes a long thread, sometimes short thread, sometimes captive steel washer, once I removed a short aluminum crush washer type that looked as if it was a used item (rusty and damaged).

Perhaps I was the idiot after all.

Feeling depressed now, thinking about the letter I should write to the Dealer principal, service manager (who was conveniently absent today) and Skoda UK detailing my woes. 

Need two new cars for our fleet this year, I don't think Hayselden will be getting any more of our business. Pity that the service dept ruins it for what is otherwise a pleasant sales dept. 

Sorry for the rant, but todays experience was really too much.

You mentioned Skoda UK, did you speak to them in an effort to get their thoughts on what the correct grade of oil should be?

I'd imagine that if you were able to get Skoda UK to confirm the correct grade, which hopefully matches what is printed on the cars slam panel then you'd be able to get the oil changed for the correct grade for free.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2020 at 13:01, silver1011 said:

You mentioned Skoda UK, did you speak to them in an effort to get their thoughts on what the correct grade of oil should be?

I'd imagine that if you were able to get Skoda UK to confirm the correct grade, which hopefully matches what is printed on the cars slam panel then you'd be able to get the oil changed for the correct grade for free.

I've sent a complaint to Skoda UK asking Skoda technical to confirm the correct oil that a dealer SHOULD use for my car, mentioning the slam panel label that states 504.00 and the negative effect on fuel economy and emissions that using a 5w/40 grade oil.

The main issue is I TWICE stressed the importance of using 504.00 spec oil and was assured that they would. Clearly the service receptionist is at fault here. I should have got her to write it on the Job card.

Having agreed it verbally I think Hayseldens have a duty to fulfill their promise made to me.

On 28/02/2020 at 13:01, silver1011 said:

Got a reply from Skoda UK today from the message I sent yesterday.

Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your recent contact regarding the above vehicle.

I can confirm the recommended oil specification for your vehicle is VW50800, you can also use VW50400 as well, however this is for the long-life service regime.

I hope this information proves useful. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on the number below.

Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK.

Kind regards

I phoned Skoda UK to double check the specifications above and was told that technical had advised that the car left the factory with 508.00 and should be used.

Awaiting (nervously) a response from Hayselden

I'd be asking Skoda UK to intervene and liaise with their dealer direct.

It shouldn't be for you to contact the dealer, you've already made it clear to them that they've used the wrong oil, only for the master technician to through it back in your face.

The minimum you should be looking for now is for the incorrect oil to be replaced free of charge (at a dealer of your choice i.e. not Hayselden), an apology from the master technician, plus an extension to the vehicle warranty to protect against any potential long term engine damage that has been caused by the dealers incompetence.

Edited by silver1011

Eventually got a reply from the service manager. Standing their ground, simply says they use Elsapro and it tells them to use 502.00. End of message. Seems they also sent something to Skoda UK, but I couldn't understand what they were saying.

Nothing about how the service receptionist assurances gave me which were nothing but empty words.

Thought about raising this with Skoda/VW Financial Services who sold me this plan, but on past experience they would likely support the dealer.

So 3 different grades from 3 sources.

Car was filled with 508.00 at factory, no doubt car and emissions approval are based on use of 508.

Car has a slam panel sticker saying 504.00 which Skoda UK say is the long life service fill oil. No argument there. But whats the point of a slam panel label if Hayselden use 502.00 5w/40 just because they can and save a couple of bob, even though its an old out of date spec used on cars a decade and more ago. Emissions up, and up to 3 per cent more fuel used, 30 litres over 10,000 miles. Unknown effect on wear.

Interestingly, I visited DM Keith in Wakefield, looking for new cars. Nice modern setup with workshop in clear view of customers, cars on modern floor lifts, not 2 posters.

Asked the service adviser about what oil would be used if I came in for a fixed oil service. He went in the service bay and immediately brought out a bottle of Quantum LL3 504/507 oil. Said that they had previously used the Castrol version but had been instructed not long ago by Skoda to use the Quantum (Fuchs) oil instead.

Probably use them next time to use my remaining service.

My advice to everyone is don't bother with the Skoda service plan option listed in the price list. Its simply a rip off especially now the price has shot up to £342 from the £279 I paid. 2 oil/filter changes and one pollen filter for a Tsi, inspection is a tick box joke.

@xman   Using VW504 instead of VW508 might have the vehicle using more fuel and might have it producing more emissions as per this from Skoda.

?

Where is there anything showing that 5w 40 FS VW502 has a 1.4 TSI using more fuel or producing more emissions than 5w 30 FS III ?

VW 502 is still an oil that meets the spec and can be used for Fixed Service Intervals. 

(It might even have the engine last longer than the Long Life VW504 or VW 508 as the 2018 1.4 TSI ACT has not moved on that much the years.)

Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4.png

@xman  Good stuff.

Others might check what is the perfectly acceptable oil for use with a TSI up to 2020 when the car / engine is getting fixed servicing.

Many Dealership in the UK will not use VW502 / 5w 40 FS when an owner actually wants to use that.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Just to be more accurate 50x.00 is a recommandation from VW.  Recommandation means what it means : to recommend.  You don't have to follow blindly what sticker is put on your car.

You are simply mistaking recommendations and specifications (like ACEA C3 / API CJ-4).  Before yelling at whoever (especially the garage technician) get informed and don't act erratically.

Recommendations are based on an average use thru out the world.  Your oil will not react the same way if you live in Alaska or in Africa due to the temperature change !  Since they don't know where your car is going to be used they make averages ! Makes sense doesn't it :)  ?

You should know what viscosities are (both numbers are there to give you a clue  ;) ,  the region you are driving in (meaning the annual temperature values), the type of driving you have, if you have more highway or city driving, if you heat your car engine up before you drive etc. etc. etc.

Do you know at least what the oil is for ? What does is do exactly and how it alters over time ? Don't tell us "oh it lubricates the engine..." come on....

Indeed running on 5w40 will make you have less fuel economy (very low though) and pollute a little more.  On the other hand it will preserve your engine way better and way longer.

The most important is meeting the oil specification requirements (those one you can't escape from), as for the rest it depends all on what you are looking for.  But bear in mind the more fluid the oil will be the more rapidly your engine will wear out (generating breakdowns sooner) .

Besides never forget manufacturers have commercial agreements with petroleum companies to force users to use their oils rather than others.  You can check it out.

Be wise and smart if you love your car and want to make it run a long way.  LL oils for example is really the most stupid invention created just to spare a few pounds in the long term.

The only point I would agree with, is the garage should have informed and explained to you why they would choose this oil type rather than another.

That being said take good care of your engine and it will drive you far away

• Like 1

Funny that some folk on here think that Long Life is bad for your engine unless you change it every 12 months. My last car shared it's 245PS petrol engine with 2 Porsches which according to the maker need a service every 2 years or 20,000 miles. That's 3 services in 60,000 miles or 96,000 km. Assuming Porsche use the same specification oil as Skoda dealers then the Skoda will have no problem doing 18,500 miles or 30,000 km between services like my VRS245 managed without any problems despite 2 track days. Like all engines all you have to do is check the oil level on a regular basis and top up if required. Checking tyre pressures once a month is also a good idea overlooked by many if good fuel economy is a concern. My 336bhp stage 2 Octavia managed an impressive 40mpg average over the 29,000 miles I owned it for with 100% reliability.:thumbup:

@shyVRS245

Personally I never said LL oils were bad for your engine.  I just think they it is an abusive term to make common users think the oil lasts long (longer than normal) and that is what they try to make you think too. Changing your oil every year or every 6000 to 9000 miles (which ever comes first) is a must what ever oil you use.  

Oils are found in many parts of cars. How about the transmission (4x4) or the gearbox... How many do care about those oil components and change them ?

Really if you want to know more there is a lot more to learn from (and I am just talking about maintenance services ;) )

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Alex I wasn't having a go at you personally but having ran many cars and tracked many also my cars tend to get a hard life compared to some pampered ones. In 1994 my BMW 325i had 5 lights on the dash which would go out every 1,500 miles giving a service every 7,500 miles despite supplying the BMW dealer with the best Mobil 1 oil I could afford. It didn't matter how hard you drove the car they were simply programmed to go out at set intervals. In 37 years of motoring I have never had an engine problem with any car I've owned but then I would never trash an engine from cold like some do and then wonder why they are broken down on the hardshoulder of a motorway. Every year at least 400,000 people put the wrong fuel in the car they are driving (some maybe hired or company cars granted) in the UK let alone check their oil levels between services.:angel:

• 2 weeks later...

The subject of the last few posts has become Oil & Servicing,  and the context is TSI's from VW. 

So forget all other manufacturers and think VOLKSWAGEN GROUP and Euro 4 and Euro 5 TSI's and the ones that were rather prone to being Lemons.

Maybe just some, 1.2, 1.4, 1.8 & 20 TSI or TSFI's.

That is where the issues arose.  some crap components, some crap engine management and the longevity of the engines with Fixed Servicing or Flexible.

Many engines lasted 'Long time mister'  All night long.   Some expired far too easily and Castrol VW 504 Long Life oil and servicing was not doing any favours, 

maybe not doing harm either.  

The thing is that those that get 'taken from behind without lubrication' usually try to learn.   

Obviously that does not apply to a certain German Corporation. VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.

• 2 years later...

I had a really good buying experience from Hayselden Skoda. I bought an approved used skoda kodiaq edition. I would thoroughly recommend the car saleswoman called Victoria. She does what she says she is going to do, which from my experience is rare in the car sales field. 

I asked her to sort out a dent and large scratch on an approved used car before buying it and it was done to an excellent standard. Also the post sales process has been good and they are really quick at replying to any questions. Would buy from them again.

• 2 months later...

I think I've had it with Hayselden Skoda.

I've not had a massive problem with the work they do in the way some have, it's more to do with the lack of attention to detail on EVERY visit.

On my car's first visit - for it's first service, I asked for them to set it to the long life intervals and service accordingly. At that point my Superb was mainly running up and down the A1, much like my previous vehicles had. They didn't. I didn't notice straight away, so I went in a few days later to get it set properly.

Second visit, they forgot to reset the indicator at all. Before even leaving the car park, I checked - went back in and asked for it to be reset to long life intervals. Went back in again, and asked again for it to be reset to long life intervals, not standard, and they finally got it right.

Then it went in for a warranty fault with the headlight control unit. Disgnosed, and part ordered. Went back in when they asked me to so that the replacement module could be fitted. Only it wasn't there. I had to go back a second time to get it fitted.

Last visit, I asked (as I always do) that if there are any extra items that need to be done before it's next scheduled service, then please do them. Today I went in for my MOT booking at 10:00, to be told I was wrong the booking was for 12:30. Showed them the email confirmation of my 10:00 appointment and they said their system showed 12:30. Not even a hint of an apology. Then they asked about doing a brake fluid change and timing belt. Both scheduled items that could have been done in the last service had they suggested it. I've just looked at my last receipt from them ... MOT last year was coincedentally booked for 12:30!

I just hate being arsed around by people being disorganised and / or incompetant, and like I say it's EVERY visit. It's as if me / my time / my experience doesn't even matter to them.

Love the car, hate the dealer. Luckily I didn't buy the car from them, so I've only lined their pockets with some overpriced servicing

Time to find a decent, honest and trustworthy independant I think.

I was looking at DM Keith pretty much anywhere else in Yorkshire, but their reviews aren't great, and even Hortons in Lincoln have apparently gone downhill since I last looked them up.

I bought my Mazda MX5 from Hayselden's on North Bridge years ago and did test drive a Kodiaq from them before we bought ours, so the sales side seemed OK but I've no experience of the service side of things.

However, I used Autohaus Dolby in Sheffield recently and they seemed fine - spoke to them a couple of times about what was needed and they were very knowlegable, were able to service for less than the main dealer and were happy to advise and recommend what needed doing.  The job was done on time, no question, for the detailed price and no issues with it so far!

They also recently did a quick diagnostics on a friends car for free as she was passing and just called in on the off chance they might be able to advise given the local dealer weren't very helpful.  It turned out to have a stored code that the dealer said wasn't there but, given the age of the car should be a warranty item so nothing in it for them, except potential future business.

A bit of a trek for you from Donny but easy enough to get to.