Sedgefield Motor Co - Stockton-on-Tees..

DGW

Sedgefield Motor Co

Salters Lane

Sedgefield Industrial Estate

Stockton-on-Tees

Cleveland

TS21 3EE

01740 623433

Services: Authorised Repairer

Edited by DGW

Originally posted by MonkeyHanger - 18-05-2003, 19:42

Ha !!

This lot lost a sale because their salesman ignored me pawing over the Yellow vRS in the showroom, and made a bee-line for a couple who were looking at a Fabia.

2 days later i ordered my car from Derek Slack's in Middlesbrough.

The moral of this story is, NEVER ignore a potential customer, even if you just ask him / her to hang around while you're busy with someone else.

Originally posted by Jimmy - 18-05-2003, 20:49

Geoff,

It wasn't a short rotund fellow with a goatie about 30'ish was it. I went in for some more info on the vRS whilst in a limbo state about whether to buy a Skoda or not and he was totally useless. Couldn't give a monkey's (Fri afternoon I suppose) and didn't even offer to show me round the 2 cars that were on the forecourt.

Went back about a week later with the wife and an oldish gent came to see us who was really helpful. Only reason I didn't buy from them was that they didn't have a black one.

Jimmy

Originally posted by MonkeyHanger - 18-05-2003, 21:34

Jimmy,

It quite possibly was the same guy, as i'm sure it wasnt the older gent who you spoke to.

The clown who ignored me didn't even have the manners to say hello. I don't know about anyone else, but when i'm looking to part with the best part of 15 grand, i expect at least polite interest from a dealer.

Originally posted by Jimmy - 18-05-2003, 21:56

Geoff,

Must have been the same guy. He grunted something at me when I walked in and was obviously irritated that I wanted to part with some of my hard earned.

The best bit was that when I enquired about the two used ones on the forecourt he just printed the dealer adverts off the internet and thrust them in front of me - I could've done that. If these people want to call themselves 'salesmen' aren't they supposed to try and at least take an interest and SELL you their product. Not anymore that's obvious.

This has turned into quite a rant. Anyway, i just voted with my feet in the end and went elsewhere. I must say though that the dealer I bought my car from in Dumfries couldn't have been more helpful and I would have no hesitation recommending them.

Originally posted by panrix2002 - 24-05-2003, 13:59

OK, i'll expand a little on my heading (ie They suck....)

I bought the car from Sedgefield Motor Company (SMC) and have had a few problems with it; 2 coil pack failures and a few speaker hassles but nothing that was SMC's fault.

The major disappointments I've had with SMC has been when the car has either been in for a repair or a service; their customer "service" is appalling. Failed call backs, ordering the wrong stuff or not ordering it at all, no clue as to what a coil pack failure is and how prevalent the problem is; "You're the only one who has ever complained about this, Sir". I also got the feeling that they thought of me as a nuisance when I turned up with my second coil failure - very unhappy that I was "bothering" them. I ended up getting SKODA UK involved both times especially the second when they said it would be 3-4 weeks before I could have a new coil pack (therefore no vRS for same period) even though they had a vRS in the dealership that could have been stripped of one to get me going.

SKODA UK were pretty good and I would not be put off buying another SKODA because of this dealer, just not from them

Mark

Originally posted by CupidStunt(Boro - 18-10-2003, 16:37

Well, i'm going to upset the apple cart here and say that the boys at SMC have done themselves proud. My coil packs were changed (all 4), and my car ready in less than 24hrs, and that includes having to order the coil packs in. No cost, no hassle, even a courtesy car at the last minute (even tho it was a ****ty Ford Ka).

Howard

Originally posted by panrix2002 - 19-10-2003, 14:12

Glad to hear the car was back on the road as quickly as that

Maybe my problems with them and getting Skoda involved made them re-think their Customer Service attitude

Mark

Originally posted by davek - Thu Feb 5, 2004

I've only used their services once, but never again.

Booked my Octavia for a 50,000 ml oil change service. Told it would take 3/4hr for service, decided to wait, took nearly 2hrs. The reason?... apprentice/jobscheme youth could'nt figure out how to open rear tailgate! DOH...

While i was waiting, tried to find out where the salesmen where hiding.

Eventually tracked down mr Apathy and asked for trade in price against an RS. Could'nt give me one on spot, will ring me later in day.

Guess what? I'm still waiting for the phone call, a year later......Pathetic!

Originally posted by fabiasdi - Sat Mar 13, 2004

Had my car serviced there, Never again. They seem to just like Fords, no-good with Skodas. Is there a better dealer near by?

Originally posted by wrc81-stu - Tue Oct 5, 2004

All i can say is DON'T BOTHER!!!! Waste of time n space. Did a good deal on my WRC spec vRS, but after sales???? Rubbish!!

Originally posted by WhoNeedsQuattro - Fri Oct 22, 2004

Well guys, Sedgy aint worth squat ! mega problems with gettin the log book & even tax ! I'll not be going back and neither should anybody else who wants good customer relations - all the problems I had were just MY fault and not theirs !!!!!!! cheeky bustards.

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd chip in here!

Got my 55 Plate Furby VRS from them, no problems whatsoever.. sales chap (Cliff) was spot on. Took the car to them for its first service and I have to say spot on... no problems... car came back immaculate.

Service cost was £124, with a free car for the day and as much coffee as I could drink !

It looks to me like since the time of the last postings they have dramatically improved, and I will be using them again in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I also dealt with Cliff who I found to be very helpful and not in the least bit pushy which is rare from a car salesman! Guy who seemed to be in charge of sales was also very friendly and laid back.

After sales was poor. Work promised was not carried out. I did not persist as I have a better dealer closer to me anyway! Wouldn't go there for service work again but sales were fine.

• 1 month later...

I bought my 52 plate vrs there last year, The salesman was a in his 30's and seemed like a nice enough guy, then the sales manager CHRIS got involved telling me he wouldn't do a deal against my 02 plate golf gt tdi unless i purchased thier warranty, He was literally talking himself out of a sale.

Anyway i bought the car, got a decent deal and all was well UNTIL i came to replace a tyre a couple of months later, i went to NORTHEASTERN TYRES AND EXHAUST in middlesbrough who told me i was missing my locking wheel nut key:mad: :mad:

I rang and spoke to CHRIS :finger: :finger: at SMC who accused me of loosing it as is must have been there when the car was handed over, at this point i went to SMC to speak to chris in person, He was the most abrupt sales manager i have met in my life, i am a store manager myself so know exactly how it should be dealt with. Chris thought he could solve the problem by just ignoring me when i got to the showroom, even when i was talking directly to him he just ignored me and looked the other way, it wasn't until i started telling the customers in the showroom how bad the service was did he sit up and pay attention, After much discussion and telling me it was there when i got the car he FINALLY agreed to order 1.

I left SMC red faced and very annoyed, and for what? THE PRICE OF A LOCKING WHEEL NUT KEY!!!!!:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

however i have had my servicing done there twice and had no problems, think i will try derrick slacks after reading the posts on how good theyare. :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have to say I've changed my tune a little.

I popped in the other day to get the leaky rear doors looked at... they said that they could not handle this as it was a body shop only job.... I also asked them to look at the cracked instrument cluster cover.. again.. they said it was a body shop job!!!! WTF ???? They recommended that I take the car to a main dealer. Which I have done (Philip Wilks Darlo) and I've had nothing but perfect service.

I very much doubt I'll be using SMC for any aftersales service again. Ah well... so much for supporting a local business.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

read lots of negative comments about this dealer. Well, technically not a Skoda Dealer, only an authorised repairer. That won't stop them getting you a new car. I ordered my Roomster after the main dealer in Durham could not offer a test drive. Sedgefield were very helpful. Car was tested, model ordered and delivered in 3 weeks.

Salesman (Cliff) was courteous, helpful and never pushy. Phone questions were answered promptly whilst they looked for a car. Car was presented in immaculate condition. Will let you know about after care, hopefully in 12 months when it needs the first service!

Would reccomend.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My 2002 fabia failed to start around 6 weeks ago. On arrival of the breakdown guy from Brittania he diagnosed a immobiliser fault, he pushed the car down the road for about 25 metres and it started. He said it was well known in the trade that Fabia immobiliser systems were often affected by satelite dishes. On looking at the rooftops I was amazed to find a sat dish right above where I had parked. This had happened on 2 more occassions unfortunately the last time it failed to start and it was taken to SEDGEFIELD MOTOR COMPANY for repair. They diagnosed a faulty reader coil and replaced it with an AUDI item along with Audi keys. £300 lighter I left the reception desk and when I started the car up there was very little power and the engine was misfiring. I immediately went back to the service desk and met the delighful service supervisor. He was straight away on the defensive and said it was nothing they had done. I aked him to go and check the car, we went out and sure enough he agreed it was misfiring. He then drove the car into the workshop. returning within 10 minutes saying the car was fine and it had not had any kind of misfire. I asked him to write on the jobsheet that the car had a misfire when I collected it. He point blank refused saying the job sheet was in the office and it was a mess in there.

I found dealing with him impossible and he constantly tried to stop me speaking by raising his voice and talking over me all the time saying it had never had a misfire. Within 10 days of the repair being done once again the car failed to start with the same warning lights flashing. On telephoning the service supervisor he said they had used Skoda parts and they were guranteed for a year so I could take the car to any skoda dealer for repair and that is exactly what I intend to do. I would advise anyone thinking about using this company to avoid them like the plague. They in reality are not bothered about the customer and the sooner that Skoda stop using them the better. Skoda's are not bad little cars but using SEDGEFIELD MOTOR COMPANY as part of their business must surely be a mistake as Skoda seem to project a modern forward thinking image whilst SEDGEFIELD MOTOR COMPANY are a company locked into a 1970's way of treating customers with disdain and rudeness. To cut a long story short STAY WELL AWAY FROM SEDGEFIELD MOTOR COMPANY THEY ARE RUBBISH.

• 1 month later...

We just bought our Octy from them. On the test-drive it was noted by Cliff that the spanner was showing and flashing on start-up and that he'd get it serviced. I also pointed out that the dial which lets cold air into the glove-box was snapped off. Picked the car up 3 weeks later (so plenty of time to sort it all out) and Cliff was away on his hols. No service done, glove-box dial thing still broken. The oil was near the minimum and coolant was 1" under min. A bloke who I think might be the sales manager came to look. After fiddling with the ignition and dash for 30 seconds the spanner disappeared, but of course, he denied resetting the service menus. they did put 1/2 a litre of oil in and some free water. Their valetor had missed the dead bird embedded in the radiator too. Cliff was supposed to phone me today to discuss booking it into my local Skoda dealers for a service, but no call came. I will call him on monday, and if I am not happy then the car goes back and I'll have my little black Furby back. If they've sold it then the Octy is going through their showroom window.

• 2 weeks later...

Further update :- Cliff has tried his best to arrange for me to have my service done locally, but his manager wants nothing of it so I now face a 180 mile 'round trip to have the work done by a company who are reluctant to do the work in the first place. Will it be done properly ? Well, I will inspect and mark the relevant parts of the service before it goes in and check after. If they try it on then I will return the car to them and proceed with legal action to recover my purchase moneys and other related costs.

On my experience with this company, avoid them, and I recommend Cliff gets a job somewhere where his professionalism matches the rest of the company.

I second that, Cliff is a cracker.. Cliff sold me my Fabia VRS. He used to work at a ford dealer in St. Helens Auckland.. only left them when the owner sold up and closed the dealership.

I've had a couple of warranty jobs done by them and tbh I wasnt convinced.

Rich