Benfield Motors - Newcastle upon Tyne..

DGW

Ordered a car via Carwow last September and drove down to Newcastle to pick it up two days ago. The price was excellent, well worth the 500 mile round trip to pick it up. Buying and pick up process was very painless and I was even sent videos every so often, including of the car coming off the transporter. The salesman, Kevin Fawcett, was good to deal with and it was good not to have any excessive upselling.

Pleased with car and experience.

Edited by bryanc

• 3 months later...

Now trading as Lookers,i had the misfortune of using them for some work needed under warranty,booked in by the call centre,told them i needed a new drivers seat belt,as it was locking on extending & a new rear light cluster to replace the misted up one,they had my car from 8.45 am to 4.30 pm, when i called to pick it up,they had only done a health check & confirmed the faults that i had it booked in for,had to return the following monday to get the work done,i find their attitude a little casual & unprofessional unlike their VW counterparts just along Scotswood rd,who are extremely helpful & professional

• 2 months later...

I first bought from Benfield in 1974 (Opel Manta) and since then have bought 4 VWs and an Audi from them.

In Feb 2011 I bought a Skoda Octavia Elegance estate 2.0 deisel, with uprated suspension and 17" wheels. It was pre - registered (23 /12/2010) and had recorded 9 miles.

Previous experience with this company had been very good, competitive prices, good part ex etc.

When I bought the Octavia I also bought into their service plan which was pay fixed amount monthly for x no of months, approx £350 in total which covered the first three years servicing. Not a bad deal on the face of it.

Near the end of the fourth year (I still have the car now - pristine virtually) my wife complained that the cabin airflow was poor so I removed the cabin air filter to find not only was it choked badly, it had the manufacturing date on it which was OCT 2010, I may be a cynic, but that is one big coincidence bearing in mind the car was first registered 2 months later.

So, out of curiosity I removed the engine air filter - same rubbish accumulated, same manufacturing date.

As a service was due I decided to do it myself and drained the oil, removed the oil filter to find that also badly contaminated but unfortunately could not decipher any of the inscriptions. The oil filter housing cap appeared untouched by any tool so I have assume that that was not changed either. I do know that the oil was changed as I always checked the level the day after service and altho already black, I could tell it had been refilled with new.

After carrying out the service, I could tell a week later that the oil was new so you can draw your own conclusions.

When I complained to the general manager, he was adamant it was not their policay to fiddle services, but three different mechanics signed the book and none of them changed anything so again, draw your own conclusions.

I was offered a free MOT in compensation - big deal and so much for main dealer servicing.

They will not be getting any business from me again.