Colchester

Essex

CO4 9HR

01206 844421

Services: New, Used, Repair

Edited by DGW
Details updated

• 1 year later...

Having spent much of the last 8 months as a pretty permanent fixture of the sevice dept at Underwoods while they tried to sort out numerous electrical probs with my 5 year old Fabia, i cant fault them! The staff are great, friendly and give fab service in my humble opinion.

When i finally admitted defeat and looked for a new car, they gave me a great deal for my old car and i was the proud owner of my lovely new Fabia within a few days!

They may not be big in dealership terms, but size isnt everything!

I'd definitely recommend them!

:):):):):):):)

• 5 months later...

Bought my Octavia Ambiente here in June.

They were the only place local (to Chelmsford) we could get a test drive. Everything went smoothly, car arrived earlier than original estimate (as they found a swap). Everyone courteous, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Haven't needed the service department yet (I'm pleased to say).

• 1 year later...

Having bought my new Fabia Estate from them just one week ago, I can honestly say this dealership went the extra mile to make me a happy customer. Test drives were available in different models and they were prepared to spend the time with my wife and I to show us how good the car is. There was never any pressure for us to buy, just a keenest to show us the cars and let us experience Skoda.

I have purchased many new cars over the years. The service here was very very good, better than at some dealerships we have experienced. And...our new car arrived earlier than expected thanks to the efforts of Sean on the sales team. They also took in my old Fiat Punto as a part ex...no problem even though it was quite old.

• 8 months later...

Went here today as I had a suspected coolant leak. The car is under the used warranty and has had other work done with no questions by Hayes in Clacton with no questions asked.

However as soon as I took it into Underwoods I was told I was subject to a £41.40 diagnostic charge to look at the car. 4 hours later I collected the car and was presented with the invoice stating I needed a new Aux Drive belt and a new brake switch and that they couldn't find a problem with the coolant system apart from a corroded pipe which would cost £152 to replace however this wasnt causing the leak.

Now i'm not an expert but I do know that the coolant system is a sealed circuit and that the coolant has to of gone somewhere yet they seem unable to find any leaks.

I then spent 25mins to wait for a rear wiper blade.

Quite unimpressed with the experience to be honest and will definitely not be returning

• 1 year later...

Never had a good experience with Underwoods.

The dealership sells all makes of cars and so aren’t very clued up on anything Skoda related.

Went there to see if they would part exchange my VRS for a new one, but their ‘sales manager’ was so full of himself that they never bothered to let me know the price or follow up at all. He pretty much said that he had hit his sales targets for the month and so wasn’t really interested in any further business. Needless to say I didn’t buy from them after that.

The dealership in Basildon still stands empty; the dealership in Copford lost it’s franchise. Unfortunately there aren’t many dealers in Essex or the surrounding so Underwoods continue to keep the franchise...

• 1 year later...

When we first arrived to purchase a new Yeti we stated very clearly that we wanted the option of the spare wheel in the back because we had other experiences of flat tyres in the middle of nowhere and made this very clear.

When the order went through this was missed out in spite of an email and a letter posted to Underwood’s by first class mail stating that we wanted the spare wheel added at all costs.

Much later on we were told that they had not received the letter or the email. Over the last fifty years we have never had a letter go astray in the UK. Total denial of this information when Underwood’s contacted us a couple of months later to check on details.. Luckily this was added in time for the production line.

In spite of informing Underwood’s of Insurance with Aviva a week before collection we were not told that the company policy was to have only insurance from Skoda on the day when we phoned up to collect the car? We had all the information at hand i.e. policy number names etc. They would have to see an original copy? Well they are all printed out on an inkjet printer as we have at home. No difference to a scanned one or the so called original one. Car insured by two company’s at the same time?

No offer of a cup of tea or coffee when we arrived in spite of driving from Norwich to Colchester to pick up a new vehicle. A female member of the staff was really helpful when it came to showing us the new car and pointing out its features. The new showroom was excellent and very tidy but a little more practical common sense would leave the customer feeling good and leaving an 8 out of 10.

FlyingBrick

• 2 years later...

Dealership was fine, clean and tidy and the staff helpful.

Test drives arranged at my convenience and all questions dealt with.

Now the bad bit!

PX of my existing car agreed and a discount on a new Yeti agreed, suddenly 0% finance turns up an no discount and PX price under the microscope. No move on anything even though I was ready to sign the dotted line.

No sale!!! All down to the sales manager!

Bought elsewhere.....need I say more?

• 4 weeks later...

Have used Underwoods for Five years, bought Two cars and had servicing done regularly and they have been excellent throughout. Sales team and service dept both spot on. As a returning customer I was offered a good part exchange on my old car and my new car arrived with spare wheel and mats added at no charge.

• 2 years later...

I feel i have to leave some feedback for the dealer (and Skoda) - NEGATIVE FEEDBACK !!

I have been a loyal Skoda customer for the last 16 years and have had my cars serviced at Skoda dealerships (paying a premium over local garages who would have also used genuine parts from TPS)

My vRS spoiler started to have the lacquer blister. Apparently this is a very common problem for skoda (that said I have never had any other spoiler do this from other makes)

I took this into Underwoods (only local Skoda dealership so not much choice!) and was told we dont have anyone to deal with warranty issues...?? Really no one?

Was told to take the car to a bodty shop to get them to have a look. Not a problem - they viewed vehicle and agreed that the paint was as a result of a defect as no other cause for the blistering. The body shop (who were excellent) took pictures and sent them to Underwoods for action.

8 weeks later I rang Underwoods to be told we have a new manager and nothing has been done and you have to start again.

A call to Skoda Customer Services (who now are next to useless) directed me to their finance department of all places. Finance dept were utterly confused and left me on hold for over 30 minutes so i had to hang up.

2 weeks after that i popped into Underwoods to be told ohhh your paint work has been declined by Skoda (apparently this had been done shortly after my initial visit so who knows why they didnt inform me.

A call to Skoda and inform me the dealerships make the decisions incl good will gestures - so in essence Underwoods said no NOT Skoda.

Also apparently paint only guaranteed for 3 years - so after 3 years be prepared for a new paint job - bet you didn't budget for that when buying a new car!!

All in all - utterly useless. I knew there was a reason i stopped haveing my car serviced by them (that was because they charged me £250 for an alleged service which they hadnt even done years ago)

Its a shame that Hayes are no longer a franchised Skoda dealer as they have always been good.

So moan over:

Underwoods - CRAP

Skoda - You have just lost a loyal customer - sodd your new 7 seater and following your emissions fiasco i think we will go to elsewhere for our 66 plate !

• 9 months later...
On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 00:23, essexskoda said:

I feel i have to leave some feedback for the dealer (and Skoda) - NEGATIVE FEEDBACK !!

I have been a loyal Skoda customer for the last 16 years and have had my cars serviced at Skoda dealerships (paying a premium over local garages who would have also used genuine parts from TPS)

My vRS spoiler started to have the lacquer blister. Apparently this is a very common problem for skoda (that said I have never had any other spoiler do this from other makes)

I took this into Underwoods (only local Skoda dealership so not much choice!) and was told we dont have anyone to deal with warranty issues...?? Really no one?

Was told to take the car to a bodty shop to get them to have a look. Not a problem - they viewed vehicle and agreed that the paint was as a result of a defect as no other cause for the blistering. The body shop (who were excellent) took pictures and sent them to Underwoods for action.

8 weeks later I rang Underwoods to be told we have a new manager and nothing has been done and you have to start again.

A call to Skoda Customer Services (who now are next to useless) directed me to their finance department of all places. Finance dept were utterly confused and left me on hold for over 30 minutes so i had to hang up.

2 weeks after that i popped into Underwoods to be told ohhh your paint work has been declined by Skoda (apparently this had been done shortly after my initial visit so who knows why they didnt inform me.

A call to Skoda and inform me the dealerships make the decisions incl good will gestures - so in essence Underwoods said no NOT Skoda.

Also apparently paint only guaranteed for 3 years - so after 3 years be prepared for a new paint job - bet you didn't budget for that when buying a new car!!

All in all - utterly useless. I knew there was a reason i stopped haveing my car serviced by them (that was because they charged me £250 for an alleged service which they hadnt even done years ago)

Its a shame that Hayes are no longer a franchised Skoda dealer as they have always been good.

So moan over:

Underwoods - CRAP

Skoda - You have just lost a loyal customer - sodd your new 7 seater and following your emissions fiasco i think we will go to elsewhere for our 66 plate !

Hayes are very good and are still official skoda dealers, they changed a water pump out of warranty 4years old 25k mls, did it for half price as goodwill as always been serviced by skoda at underwoods!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I have now had three cars from Underwood's and in the past have had no casue for complaint. My current car is an Octavia 4 which I took delivery of on 25th September 2020. Like may on the Octavia 4 Forum I have had a number of software issues. These are primarily that the speedo cannot be converted to kmh nor can the SatNav. I also paid to have High Beam Assist installed but that doesn't work. I do receive fairly regular calls from Kate Laws at Skoda UK.

There have been a number of e-mails which were copied into the Sales Manager at Underwood's who took my initial order. The latest indicated that I was thinking of rejecting the car. Underwood's have not responded to those e-mails which I find most disappointing. 

• 1 year later...

Despite my previous post I am appalled at the notification I have received today. Apparently from 31st March 2023 Underwoods Colchester will no longer be a Skoda dealer. This is not, apparently, a decision  of Underwoods so it must be a decision of Skoda UK. 

The only problems I had with the dealer were not of their making but rather of Skoda's and the poor it on the initial run of Octavia 4's. After many years of Skoda ownership this may result in me looking for an alternative marque when I next change my car.

• 9 months later...

I had my car serviced by these guys in Colchester without any issues.

They have now closed and advised me to take my vehicle to Clacton on Sea which is a Skoda partner and not a franchise dealership. 

The one in Clacton is Vauxhall. 

That should be warning one.

So in short I had an awful experience with Underwood Clacton and will never be taking my vehicle to them again. Trading Standards have been advised of the issue.

I suggest looking elsewhere for your Skoda servicing.