Mitchell Skoda - Chester

DGW

just posted on Google+ Not impressed. to be honest. Sales guys are great though... I'll choose alternative places to look after service them. Head tech guy had a right attitude problem too. 

"Spent £46.5k on 3 cars from Mitchell over the past 10 years. The first was a brand new Mazda 6, which had to go back several times because of rear seat belt faults. the headlights misted up, and they charged us £396 for the 1st service! Some years later I bought a TT which was pretty much faultless. In Dec 2014 though, I bought a Octavia Vrs. 2 days after I bought it I noticed stitching on the steering wheel was missing. Long story short, I ended up fixing it myself. The clutch made a clicking noise, which was repaired under warranty, but they broke something and only told me when I returned to collect it. The clutch went again, the air con would appear not to have been re-gassed (it's currently 30c and blowing out hot air) the rear screen wash doesn't work, and there is a fault with the fan running after ignition has been turned off. However, after trying to get these investigated with it's 1st service, they tell me it could be down to 'poor maintenance' and have threatened me with an £80 'investigation charge'. Perhaps obviously I won't use them again."

Won't ever return for a new car or service. 

Oh and I had to fork out for a new gear lever, because the one in this was worn out. 

Edited by Egg1000

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of weeks back I spent a Saturday afternoon changing the wheels front to back, to even out the tyre wear, then realised I'd managed to lose the locking wheel nut key after I'd put everything away.

My own stupid fault.

I called in at Mitchells on the Monday morning to see what they could do, expecting a bill of maybe fifty quid or more...

After one of the service guys, Steve, had identified the locking nut pattern, he provided a replacement key FOC, completely refusing payment.

Five star service.

Steve, sorry I didn't get your surname.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Got mine 2 days ago from Mitchell's Skoda, dealt with Ben, top lad. Answered my first email to him whilst he was on holiday in Switzerland. Took 10 days for the car to arrive, big bunch of flowers for the Mrs.

Answers all questions regardless of time of day or even if it's his day off. Give him a shout.

Just don't forget the insurance next time if you're reading this ;)

Bought my second Yeti and once again Dave Alexander, Neil and other members of the team in Skoda were all very helpful. I was a bit of a pain as i needed the car ASAP, they found the spec i wanted in stock and the car was mine in just over a week.

Unfortunately the car has developed a problem with the SCR (AdBlue) but the service department couldn't be more helpful and gave me a curtesy car while it is dealt with. Will update as to how the problem is resolved, hopefully won't take long. 

Would recommend to anyone looking for a great dealership. 

Edited by DarrellGB

Bought my new 2012 Octavia vRS from Mitchells last week - been there before to have a look around but never really got into negotiations about any of them until a few weeks back.

Dealt with Dave Alexander who was brilliant throughout the transaction. Asked them to transfer my private plate across to the new Octy which took a bit longer than i wanted, but that was down to the DVLA and not Skoda. Daves a great chap and gave me a great price on trade in of my Fabia vRS - he battled to get a good price for me which im thrilled about.

Great experience, will deal with again should i get rid of the Octy and decide on another Skoda

Big thumbs up :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Paul

My original review back in 2012.

On Wednesday I traded in said Octy for a new MK3 Octavia vRS 230.

Without telling a long winded story..... I asked to deal with Dave again, and he delivered again. Great guy and will do anything for you. Also dealt with Neil Gregory a few times and he was also very helpful and knew what he was talking about. Should be picking the car up next week. Cannot wait!!

If I want another Skoda after this one, or if anybody asks me where I go, I will always recommend here and point them to Dave. I have 3-4 Skoda garages which are closer to where I live, however I recommend this one due to the level of service, and the size of stock they hold compared to other dealers.

Paul

• Like 1

There's been some updates here, so thought I'd add more based on recent experience.

My vRS (late 2013) developed a small rattle, I couldn't trace it so finally I decided to call Mitchel's up. Karl (their master tech) picked up my car from home, drove it to the dealership (15 miles away), identified the problem, fixed it and returned the car to my home. Cherry on the cake, car washed inside and out.

Absolutely superb service :)

By the way, the rattle was traced to an under-tray near the rear of the vehicle, an easy fix.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I've been to Mitchell's Skoda a few times over the last year. First time was taking my Dad to pick up his new car where I was amazed at how friendly everyone was. Nothing was too much trouble. My Dad had been joking about getting sandwiches when he got the car........ nope that wasn't a joke! There was a tray of assorted sandwiches, crisps and a selection of drinks available too! My Mum got a big bouquet of flowers too which I thought was a lovely touch. 

I visited again to have a nose at Skoda models a while ago and several salesmen knew my Dad by name which was nice, made you feel really valued. 

Fast forward to a week ago and I went up to have a look at a car we'd seen advertised on their website, there was no pictures as it had only just come in. 

We spoke to Harry Hughes who was lovely and went off to find the car we were asking about. He brought it straight round for us to have a look over and apologised it hadn't been cleaned yet as it was new in. He was there if we wanted to ask anything but left us to look over the car at our leisure then offered me a test drive which I took. Again he was relaxed about everything. Not pushy in the slightest. 

Got back and asked for a valuation on my car as a P/X, he didn't rip the car apart like certain selling car sites. Had a laugh and joke with Harry who didn't make you feel like he was rushing off or that you were boring him. 

Signed all the paperwork and arranged collection. 

Collection day came and we arrived a bit early. There was bacon sandwiches for us ( it was before 10am!) 

I got a big bouquet of flowers too and got to drive him out of the 'launching dock' 

Dad introduced me to several of the people there, the guy in servicing was so helpful and welcoming ( may have been Carl? There was too many names and my shiny car was distracting!) 

Mark Mitchell even stopped to chat on the way to a meeting, keeping several people waiting in his office! 

He complimented me on my hair ( it's a rather bright purple!) and on my necklace too and shook my hand and thanked me for buying my car from them. 

All in all absolutely no complaints from me, exceedingly lovely people who make you feel welcome and valued weather you're spending £9,000 on a car or £30,000+! 

I'm taking my car there for all his services and wouldn't even think to go anywhere else even though it's 18 miles away.

Fiona 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fiona6427 said:

I've been to Mitchell's Skoda a few times over the last year. First time was taking my Dad to pick up his new car where I was amazed at how friendly everyone was. Nothing was too much trouble. My Dad had been joking about getting sandwiches when he got the car........ nope that wasn't a joke! There was a tray of assorted sandwiches, crisps and a selection of drinks available too! My Mum got a big bouquet of flowers too which I thought was a lovely touch. 

I visited again to have a nose at Skoda models a while ago and several salesmen knew my Dad by name which was nice, made you feel really valued. 

Fast forward to a week ago and I went up to have a look at a car we'd seen advertised on their website, there was no pictures as it had only just come in. 

We spoke to Harry Hughes who was lovely and went off to find the car we were asking about. He brought it straight round for us to have a look over and apologised it hadn't been cleaned yet as it was new in. He was there if we wanted to ask anything but left us to look over the car at our leisure then offered me a test drive which I took. Again he was relaxed about everything. Not pushy in the slightest. 

Got back and asked for a valuation on my car as a P/X, he didn't rip the car apart like certain selling car sites. Had a laugh and joke with Harry who didn't make you feel like he was rushing off or that you were boring him. 

Signed all the paperwork and arranged collection. 

Collection day came and we arrived a bit early. There was bacon sandwiches for us ( it was before 10am!) 

I got a big bouquet of flowers too and got to drive him out of the 'launching dock' 

Dad introduced me to several of the people there, the guy in servicing was so helpful and welcoming ( may have been Carl? There was too many names and my shiny car was distracting!) 

Mark Mitchell even stopped to chat on the way to a meeting, keeping several people waiting in his office! 

He complimented me on my hair ( it's a rather bright purple!) and on my necklace too and shook my hand and thanked me for buying my car from them. 

All in all absolutely no complaints from me, exceedingly lovely people who make you feel welcome and valued weather you're spending £9,000 on a car or £30,000+! 

I'm taking my car there for all his services and wouldn't even think to go anywhere else even though it's 18 miles away.

Fiona 

Hi, Can vouch for all the above -- its the way it has always been for us .  I ate ALL  the bacon sandwiches ( came with two little pots of sauce as well ! ) as Daughter No1 is diet aware !

Dad ( Aka david 1220 )

• Like 1

Purchased My 3' Skoda from Mitchells (a Citigo),the usual no hassle, no high pressure sales techniques, every went smoothly and My car was registered on the 31' March just in time to beat the rise in VED.Dave Alexander was a delight to deal with, a very helpful guy.The only criticism-not one text, email or phone call to keep Me up to date on the build/delivery progress of My order.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped in on Monday, and they were as good as ever.

The best, most consistent dealer in the North West in my view. And I've been using them since 2005.

• Like 1

I've been dealing with Mitchell's for about 3 years now, having "binned" my local dealership for atrocious after sales service. Mitchell's are a  110 mile round trip for me, but worth every mile, minute and traffic jam to experience the superb service I have received. I bought my current Octavia from them, no fuss, no pressure and totally ethical in their dealings with me. On collection, the car was in immaculate condition ( as it should be, I know, but my old dealership....), & Dawn , our sales lady throughout the ordering process, continued her excellent service to my wife & I, explaining all I needed to know, even connecting my phone ! The icing on the cake was presenting my wife with a lovely bouquet of flowers - it was smiles all round ! 

Since then I've asked "Parts" to get me two items, both delivered free of charge and promptly too - I couldn't ask , or expect, better service from any car dealership, Mitchell's will continue to have my business, they really are a credit to Skoda UK.

John Webster

Very positive experience at Mitchell's today getting my Octavia vRS it's first service, even though it wasn't purchased from them. Thank you Karl in service dept and the tech called Lee, appreciate your help to sort a couple of issues.

Also Emma for making the booking and ordering parts in specially, in case they were need for a warranty job, to save waiting, or a return booking. (They weren't on this occasion.)

Well worth the hour's drive to get there, I drove right past another Skoda main dealer on the way, half an hour closer, but where I had a rubbish experience previously...:hi:

Even got bacon butties at 9.30am!

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry @Wardy not been online for a while !

I could certainly try and arrange something if the interest is there. What do you think? (PM me to save spam on here lol)

Edited by RockyVRS

• 1 month later...

Just bought my third new Skoda (Yeti SE L Drive) and once again it was absolutely superb service from start to finish.

Always deal with Dave Alexander/Richard Macklin and although Dave wasn't available at first, brokered a great deal with another salesman (Andy) who, after a test drive handed me over to Dave.

Big bunch of flowers for SWMBO at delivery.

Even thought I have a Skoda dealer in Warrington. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Recommend them to anyone.

Edited by ChipUK
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sadly this is a negative post about Mitchell’s which has disappointed me. 

I had a letter inviting me to book my Octavia in to have his emissions sorted as a free recall thing. I dutifully phoned up and the woman said it was very simple, just took half an hour to plug it into the computer and reset some things. Great. So I booked in for 9:30am on 22nd Sept. I arrived 7 minutes early and booked him in with a bloke named Craig. He asked if I was going to wait or come back for him, to which I replied it’s only half an hour, I’ll wait..... no says he it’s an hour, ahhh shoot thinks I, as I had a parcel arriving between 11&12, ah ok do it but I said I was in a rush to be home by 11am ( with a 25 min drive home ) Craig promised to take him straight through. He then asked if I wanted a complimentary wash and hoover to which I declined and reiterated that I was tight on time not to mention the fact I was doing a day drive to London the next day so he’d get rotten on the motorway anyway. 

I went upstairs to enjoy an hours peace....... 

I looked at my watch once I’d finished my book and my coffee to find I’d lost almost 2 hours...... 

hurridely rang my friend to see if she could wait for my parcel, no answer so had to go on chat to sort out a later delivery as needed the parcel that day. ( it cost me a lot of begging and the promise of a big box of chocolates to the driver but it got re arranged!) 

anyway almost 3 hours later my car was ready...... they’d not done anything about the sticky key ( it doesn’t flick out when opened, has to be poked out and was like that when bought ) 

I was also was a little fobbed off when I’d mentioned he was occasionally, when in park, revving high and when put into R or D he’d sort of clunk as if I’d stalled ( he’s a DSG so can’t stall!) Craig sort of said it was fine just the exhaust clearing itself, probably. My own Dad has since told me in more detail what it could be ( the sensor ) as he had it with his old Octavia...... think my Dad could get a job at Skoda as he seems to know more than some of their staff. 

As I walked over to him I noticed his wheels were cleaner than when I’d brought him in..... 

yes he’d been complimentary washed and hoovered which I’d expressively refused, much as it’s a kind offer! 

Sadly not as happy with the level of service from Mitchell’s as I once was....... and now no longer looking forward to his MOT as no doubt that’ll take far longer than I’m used to with my old car and I can kiss goodbye to half of a day too! 

But I do get free coffee *rolls eyes*

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Fiona6427

Sorry to see you have had a bad experience. I have been using Mitchells for years, I have always been impressed with their service compared to other garages, so much so I travel over an hour to Mitchells, even though I have a Skoda garage about 15 minutes away. Madness but seriously they have always been so good to me!!
Have you mentioned this Craig or anybody else. Even if you drop Mitchells an email saying you were disappointed?

I am there on Monday for a service if you would like me to mention anything on your behalf?

It’s the first bad experience I’ve had too, though I’ve only had this car 6 months my Dad has been dealing with them since 2004. 

I think his name could have been Chris rather than Craig. 

Ah it’s ok, no need to mention it, I could ring them but don’t want to appear I’m being picky. 

It just irritated me rather a lot that was all. 

@Fiona6427 I'm not a serial complainer, but if something isn't right - I'd mention it.
If they put it right somehow, it will give you the trust to use them again. If they do nothing about it, then you have every right to be annoyed and not give them your service in the future :) 

I will continue to use Mitchells, however If I have experiences like yours in the future, I will go to the garage 15 minutes down the road from me instead.

Yes you’re very right, infact I've spent over an hour on the phone today sorting out O2 after they lied to me to get me to take out 2 new contracts with themselves. Contracts now cancelled, complaints put in to their customer service department on the phone and the area manager who was covering for the shop manager ( but actually was a better person to complain to!) that advisor will wish he’d never lied to me!

I think I’ll phone Mitchell’s tomorrow. 

Thanks. 

Hope you don’t have any issues on Monday! 

• Like 1

Do not want to mess up the Dealer Review section, 

so sadly you have had 'The Fix',  i hope that does not cause issues.

?

So they explained your 24 month peace of mind warranty from VW Group,?

be aware, no ill affect should become your engines hardware, if it does, then pay nothing, VW are footing the bill.

But on your DSG,

since you mention the MOT upcoming i take it your car is 2014 or older.

So Service campaign '34F7' on 2009-2013 or so,  (sticker in boot if done.) synthetic changed for mineral and software update.

*World wide recall, excluded Europe, not in the world, so just a Service Campaign needed....*

or '34H5'  software update 2013-2015 on some DQ200's,  

Have either been done, or were you aware of them?

Started late 2016 and being carried out where the Registered Keeper / Owner might get told, usually when vehicle is at Main Dealers.

Important, being done due to DSG 7 speed twin dry clutch leaks, cracks, gubbed Mechatronic control units.

(Skoda (VW) Sercret Service Campaigns, need to know basis only, least publicity the better, for VW, loose lips cost lives.

Safety Critical issues, no wucking furries at Skoda Dealerships.)

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Best have the Service Desk Receptionist check, or the Workshop Manager or Master Tech if your DSG needs '34H5',  but they should have already done so, 

or ask Skoda UK.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

Sadly the Skoda VIN checker does not show if '34H5' is outstanding,  it does show '34F7' though, or should.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions