Morecambe

Lancs

LA3 3BN

01524 844666

Services: New, Used, Repair

Edited by DGW
Entry updated.

Originally posted by Paul - Tue Oct 5, 2004

Bought my vRS estate from them in Feb 2004, a good PX price, had it 2 weeks & I noticed a slight rattle, took car back & they fixed it no problem.

When it came round to service time, booked it in, asked if if I could borrow a MK2 Octavia whilst it was in for a day, not a problem, the New Octavia TDI140 had just arrived & been PDIed not even polished & they let ME loose in it.

On top of that because I had recomended them to 2 people who had bought cars from them, they gave me £50.00 off the price of the service, not all dealers would even thank you for recomending them never mind give you a discount on you service.

As with all dealers they are their to sell cars & make a few quid, but they'll do their best to be fair & give you a good deal.

I will buy from them again (if the deals right)

• 1 year later...

I had a bad experience with this dealer today.I booked my car in for a service a couple of weeks ago and arranged a courtesy car.

I told them I was going to drop my car in first thing today and they told me that somebody would be there from 8.30am.I arrived at 8.50am and booked my car in with with the service guy only to be told that the courtesy car I was supposed to be using was still out and I would have to wait until it was returned.I waited about an hour but the car still had not arrived back and I had an important doctors appointment which I was going to be late for.I explained this to the service guy but he just shrugged his shoulders despite there being other demonstrator cars around that they could have lent me instead.

In the end I had to take my car away and drive home(a 70 mile round trip),so I was not best pleased to say the least.The people at the dealership could not care less.

Its a shame because I really like my Skoda and being nearly 3 years old is up for replacement soon with another however David Ian Skoda will NOT be supplying it!!

I must admit I'm very surprised to read this as I've had nothing short of excellent service in nearly ten years of using David Ian. I agree you should take it up with them rather than just walking away. Put your dissatisfaction in writing if you don't want to do it in person.

I must admit I'm very surprised to read this as I've had nothing short of excellent service in nearly ten years of using David Ian. I agree you should take it up with them rather than just walking away. Put your dissatisfaction in writing if you don't want to do it in person.

Thanks for the feedback.I have written to dealers in the past when I have had poor service(not just cars)and there has never been a satisfactory outcome.I think in this instance the best thing is to mark it down as a bad experience and not give them the chance to get a penny of my hard earned money.I have now booked the car in at another dealer who I have had good dealings with in the past and I should have used in the first place.

• 3 months later...

Just bought second Skoda in 2 months from this garage .Can`t fault them on anything,got the car i wanted ,when i wanted at a price i could afford.

Thanks to both Davd and Ian.

• 1 year later...

I've always had excellent service from them. Never experienced a problem picking up a loan car. Courteous staff, fair prices. I'll be buying from them again.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

We paid our deposit and ordered a Roomster early in March, the salesman suggested a delivery lead-time of 3 months (ie June).

Here we are in late October and we have yet to receive ANY communication whatsoever from this dealer.

I didn't have particularly high expectations for customer care but, blimey, do they care at all?

Edited by PHD_Skoda

• 1 year later...

Went to David Ian Skoda on a Saturday recently for two things.

A rear wiper for my hatchback Octavia, despite a sign saying that it was open 'till 1pm on the door, the parts department was closed. Reason being that the computers were being inspected. A bit annoying, and the salesman didn't believe me when I don't them the rear wiper was a Skoda part only and that the EuroCarParts across the road would have the wiper I needed (they don't). Annoyed, but bad timing I guess.

The second thing I wanted looking at was some rust on the boot lid (10 year corrosion warranted). I was told that they didn't do bodyshop stuff and that I would have to visit a Skoda approved bodyshop. Fair play, just mentioning it to give people a heads up.

About 18 months ago I rang up about 10 Skoda dealers just on the off chance they had a Yeti in stock in the right spec' which I was after.None of them did but all the dealers I spoke to were polite and helpful except the Morecambe showroom,seemed most put out by the fact I was based in Liverpool and was ringing up asking about buying a car off them.

Edited by leckman

• 5 months later...

Went across from Isle of Man to have 1st service on my Yeti this week. Already had it booked in, and use of a Courtesy car (Citigo),have got to say this was one pleasant experience.Tony the service manager is first class and very obliging.Seems a long way to come for a service but wanted the Skoda badge on the service history, will defo use them again.Also bought two Skoda accessories from them ( Winter wheels and Wheel-arch kit) which where both good on price.All in all Top marks to David Ian Ltd.

• 1 month later...

I have used this garage for a fair few years now, always as helpful as possible even going that extra mile when my mk1 broke down late at night, they came out and opened the gates so the aa van could tow it into the yard so it was safe and not on the industrial estate.

Last year i bought an octavia mk2 and traded in my vwt4 which I got a brilliant deal on off David. absolutely amazing car. now i have just ordered the mk3 version which will be here in 2 weeks. They have even sorted up my private registration plate for me which is usually a pain in the backside.

Always great with customers can't fault the garage and staff one bit.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

emailed this dealer regarding a car for sale (last weekend ) that i was keen to see/test drive/ and possibly buy . never got direct answers to questions, arranged to go and see car and asked about service history and if camchain had ever been replaced? (as was early 2010 tsi ) they did nothing to help me regarding checking history etc for me (it was a 120 mile drive away so did not want to make a 240 mile round trip for nothing)..on the night before i was due to go got a phone call to say car had sold (although it is still for sale on skoda uk,autotrader,and motors uk.) .took my Business elsewhere and tell everyone else to do same....i think they might have been spooked by me asking if chain had ever been replaced .well i am a buyer and wanted to know!!!. but there you go ..! bad experience for me am afraid . 

• 6 months later...

Fantastic customer service from the chaps at Vantage Skoda Morcambe.

Got a fair part exchange price, a decent deal on the vRS and even made up some new private plates for me at no extra cost. Having picked the vRS up, I was told to follow the chap to the local garage who kindly put half a tank in for me. This aside I was given the 12 month Skoda warranty and 12 month roadside assistance for free also.

I was also called yesterday to make sure I was happy with the vehicle. Fantastic customer service and would have no problems going back for anything.

• 4 months later...

A visit to Vantage Skoda Morcambe yesterday for the vRS' 10,000 mile service.

The staff were brilliant as ever, and even managed to find me a car to take out whilst it was being serviced. They were very well priced and to be honest, despite it not being my closest Skoda dealership, I will continue to go back as I've only ever had good experiences there.

Do we think we should change the thread name from DAVID IAN LTD to VANTAGE SKODA MORCAMBE?

• 5 months later...

A bit late in the day as I bought a Citigo off Vantage Morecambe last July (2016).

It was purchased via Carwow.com and the easiest car buy I've ever done.

The salesman, Paul Hankinson was a delight to deal with and even delivered it to the IoM ferry a few miles down the road at Heysham.

I was a bit worried as the ferry has a tight 2 hr turnaround for the return trip, but Paul was prompt and dealt with my concerns.

I've got to give Vantage full marks from my experience.

The car has been faultless too for the past 15k miles, so a 'pat on the back' all round for Skoda.

Edited by Snaefell

• 1 year later...

Thread still needs the title updating to Vantage Skoda Morecambe!

Anyway, I've used this dealership 3 times in the past year for my Oil, DSG and Brake fluid services and I've been happy with the service I've received each time. I make a 64 mile round trip to this dealer, because the local Preston dealership was arrogant, made stuff up, and charged the maximum they could try and get away with every time.

The service staff at Vantage Morecambe are always pleasant to deal with, and there's never any issue or arguments over the prices published on the Skoda Site. Nor on any of the 3 occasions have they tried the usual tricks of other dealers around work that doesn't need doing (brakes, Aircon etc.).

If only they were closer to home and stocked the Soft drinks fridge more regularly. Last 2 visits now and the fridge has been empty! Not a fan of coffee. Aside from that, a solid 4.5/5 from me.

• 1 month later...
On 05/11/2018 at 16:20, ahenners said:

Thread still needs the title updating to Vantage Skoda Morecambe!

Anyway, I've used this dealership 3 times in the past year for my Oil, DSG and Brake fluid services and I've been happy with the service I've received each time. I make a 64 mile round trip to this dealer, because the local Preston dealership was arrogant, made stuff up, and charged the maximum they could try and get away with every time.

The service staff at Vantage Morecambe are always pleasant to deal with, and there's never any issue or arguments over the prices published on the Skoda Site. Nor on any of the 3 occasions have they tried the usual tricks of other dealers around work that doesn't need doing (brakes, Aircon etc.).

If only they were closer to home and stocked the Soft drinks fridge more regularly. Last 2 visits now and the fridge has been empty! Not a fan of coffee. Aside from that, a solid 4.5/5 from me.

The local Preston dealership are rip off merchants.

They told my father he needed new wiper blades on his Yeti when he had a brake fluid change.

The sales woman was very embarrassed when I said she must have the wrong car as the blades had just been renewed at Halfords.

They also replaced spark plugs on the first service.

I may make a formal complaint.

It's a pity as they are just up the road from our family who own 3 Skodas.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

My third Fabia bought from this location. Very unhappy with Vantage. (David Ian were much nicer to deal with.)

Purchase of our third Fabia went very well. The problems came when we tried to claim on the warranty.

Vantage charged us £114 for a "Vehicle Health Check" which then had a negative impact on our warranty claim. They say we need a new steering rack for £1000 and the repair will not be covered by the warranty because the car has been "kerbed"  (Whatever that means. They took photos of a wheel rim scuffed by the kerb while parking.)

Just whose side are Vantage on? Certainly not the customer.
This attitude was exposed in an article in "The Guardian"(20 April 2022) 'Skoda’s refusal to honour warranty staggers legal experts.'
A pity since  we were very loyal Skoda customers.

5 hours ago, DavidF1 said:

My third Fabia bought from this location. Very unhappy with Vantage.

Purchase of our third Fabia went very well. The problems came when we tried to claim on the warranty.

Vantage charged us £114 for a "Vehicle Health Check" which then had a negative impact on our warranty claim. They say we need a new steering rack for £1000 and the repair will not be covered by the warranty because the car has been "kerbed"  (Whatever that means. They took photos of a wheel rim scuffed by the kerb while parking.)

Kerbing a rim is when the rim is marked/scuffed/scratched/dented with it has come into contact with a kerb stone, usually when attempting a parallel park...although it can be caused by hitting a kerb when driving at speed.

Usually not serious, just a scuff/scratch on the outer face of the rim.

If the steering racks on Skodas can't cope with that everyday event, then the cars aren't fit for purpose. However, moderate kerbing is unlikely to cause any harm to the steering rack. Probably best to get a second opinion.

If there was much truth in "kerbing will easily damage your steering rack", then independent repair garages would be well aware of the problem as they would get an enormous amount of work in fitting new steering racks because kerbing is a very common everyday event.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

@DavidF1 Welcome to the forum.

Was there an issue that required you to have a Health Check and was that a diagnosis for a fault you reported that they were doing?

Who is the Warranty with and has any claim been made to the Warranty Provider?

Do you need a Steering Rack.  It is not £1,000 to supply and fit to a Mk3 Fabia.  So what is all that about?