Stereo issue , a case of bad balance

pege63

Hi,

One month old Elegance.

Stereo OK-ish with extra speaker pack but found it weird that I had to set balance of the sound to be HIGHER on the right (ie drivers) side and not the usual higher to the left, initially put this down to being a poorly designed system and direction of the speakers in the doors.  MP3 music (ripped to highest setting is NOT good IMO, very tinny and clarity is lacking).

Anyway just been on a 500 mile trip and had the SD card properly loaded with MP3 music and had the odd situation (ie intermittent) where suddenly to sound on the right hand side increased in volume. I put it down to the MP3 file being dodgy but it happened a few times so I checked the balance and could adjust the sound to the left (as in any other car system) ie IMO being normal. It then reverted back after a 5-10 minute period so I had to go back to the 'backward' setting again . Initialy thought it to be the MP3 but followed it up by testing the radio and same weird thing here. Looks like I have a wiring issue or the right amplifier section is not working as it should ie the output level go up and down.   

Has anyone else had this issue with their units?

I have also seen some posts re the PID being a bit daft, mine had the odd blink during this trip but I have now decided that the sat nav is useless (ie interface is no good, too cumbersome) and will use my Sygic on the phone instead. As a info/MP3 player and phone module its about bearable (btw, why only 4 quick dial memories?).

First, try removing the dock assembly and re fitting. I find the connection get a bit flaky every few days, remove, gentle wipe, refit and it works again. Not sure if it affects the radio, possibly not.

I've not had any issues with the head unit or speakers, and I think the sat nav works fine. Maybe you have a duff one? There have been reports of the PIDs having to be exchanged.

Thanks. I think the PID is OK, although its sluggish and Sat Nav has a poor interface, the touch screen is not any good at all compared to a normal phone ie being too sluggish, compare it to Sygic Nav on my iphone (or an adroid based phone) and you know what I mean. Speaker connection issue is quite possible as I have the problem with the Radio too and its intermittent, only other issue is the right amp being duff on the main unit. Will bring it in to have it checked, will report when I know whats up. Car otherwise brilliant!

• Like 1

funnily i thought this too, the left side is louder than the right. but the balance is neutral. I will check my connectors.

I tried sygic at the same time as the pid and it tried to take me too far off what I know is a better route, and it kept forgetting the direction of travel and had the map spinning in circles - which I appreciate is more the phones satellite pickup than the software. but the rout planning was poor.

Of course the phone screen and power is better so its more responsive, but generally im more than happy with the garmin satnav. the pid has its "features" but not having had an in built before, its better than i expected; aka  i like the ability to have a micro sim and mileage stats readout.

You could try changing the balance through the stereo itself, You can change it so it is louder in one side than the other depending on personal preference if that is any help

You could try changing the balance through the stereo itself, You can change it so it is louder in one side than the other depending on personal preference if that is any help

Adjusting balance 'the opposite way' to any normal car stereo is obviously not an issue but its not right and I have had a short period when it worked ok, it affects radio and PID so is in the AMP itself or a wiring issue. Had it at the dealer on Wed's, no fault codes shown up so they will discuss wityh SKoda and get back to me. BTW, the mechanic (tecnician???) agreed with me that its not correct. Will keep u posted.