Yellow Peril II, this time its personal

Leeboy

I'm pleased to finally report oil leak is solved!!  This week saw me in Yorkshire and no real chance to test the car beforehand so after a round trip of 580 miles, we are oil free around the side of the cylinder head at last :clap: :bow::muscle:

DSC_0962_zps5ymtt4zz_edit_1501266162240_

Car drove as expected despite my reservation about removing cam shafts which I haven't done before on one of these engines.  And satisfying to know that the tool and gasket cost less than £25 off ebay saving me probably at least 2 and a half hours labour at a garage!

Now need to think what I can fix next!

• Like 4

Sounds like a job well done and glad you got a result mate. Just to clarify you replaced the cam cover gasket and the one under the tensioner assembly. Is that all needs doing? 

Any tips or points of note removing and replacing the cam shaft/caps or fairly straightforward??

Did you have a 'practise run' on the other engine first

9 hours ago, huwants2no said:

Sounds like a job well done and glad you got a result mate. Just to clarify you replaced the cam cover gasket and the one under the tensioner assembly. Is that all needs doing? 

Any tips or points of note removing and replacing the cam shaft/caps or fairly straightforward??

Did you have a 'practise run' on the other engine first

As it happens,  I reused the cam cover gasket I already had as it hadn't done that much service but if your's is original I would,  and yeah, new chain tensioner gasket.  Taking out the front inlet cam had me thinking that I will probably need a new camshaft seal at the timing belt end, but I'd started the job without a replacement.  As it turns out, it's fine.  

You'll need some sealant for the end cap at the timing belt end as this one covers both cams and forms that end of the cylinder head to which the cam cover bolts down over.

I followed Haynes manual instructions on unbolting the caps.  Turn engine around to TDC and it was something like start with 3 and 5, then 2 and 4 and the end caps.  They are all numbered so just work methodically and in TDC, the cam followers are fairly evenly spread.

I didn't practice as I could be bothered to drag the old engine out of the corner of the garage!  Give it a go and don't rush! 

• Like 1