Yellow Peril II, this time its personal

Leeboy

Yes one of those two for sure... I'll go for the blocked pick up, will strip down out going engine out of interest and report back. Still at least all the oil was still in the engine this time unlike a trip to Mallory Park several years back :)

Engine and gearbox ready to build up once I remove existing block and box

IMAG0553_zpstxwn72oa.jpg

IMAG0552_zpsnf47aapy.jpg

IMAG0551_zpsz4m8itpc.jpg

So, advice please.  This engine has been in my garage (dry stored with fluids drained, all holes blocked up to stop dust and spiders entering.  The crank rotates freely and was originally brought from Flybikeslee (is he still around these parts?) In August 2012 and had about 80K miles on it.  The belt and tensioner was changed not long before I purchased it and the belt looks in good condition.  So should I precautionary change it again, or be happy that its good for a couple of years of further use.  If the belt tensioner is new, can I save money and just get a belt?  What do we reckon ?

Edited by Leeboy

If it were me, I would replace and then at least you know it's good for a few years and probably easier when the engine Is out.

Progress made this afternoon:

IMAG0577_zpsnev48jxj.jpg

And ready for lift off

IMAG0579_zpsl3hds3kh.jpg

I've missed playing with these engines. Still a few bits of wiring to separate around the back of the engine, a couple of coolant pipes, power steering to separate at the pump, then release the drive shafts at the box and down pipe, and it'll be ready to drop the engine and box complete. This will then enable me to get the flywheel and clutch out of the existing car, which should already be a SMF.

Getting there...

Not sure how I managed to duplicate this post, trying to do it on a phone probably has something to do with it. Mods may delete one copy to tidy up.

LEE - JUST EDIT THIS ONE WITH YOUR NEXT UPDATE - Jason. :)

Good to See you back Lee mate.

Remember working on your old yellow one with Clive......

Not really been away but have been playing with this instead for the last couple of years:

2014-10-01_10-51-31_zpswptkmogb.jpg

• Like 3

The Kleen Freaks sticker is on the bottom left of the boot lid right?

I've seen that car a few dozen times on the M27 in the mornings - always looked pretty tidy. Given the previous owner a thumbs up and a wave in the past but he never seemed that bothered. Oil light or not if his driving on the motorway is anything to go by it's been driven around pretty conservatively!

Glad it's gone to a good home - yellow is stunning :)

I started rather late in the day this afternoon and removing the engine on part gravel driveway and uneven paving is not easy on one's tod. Still after a while wrestling and finding one last bit was still connected to the car (lower intercooler feed pipe bracket to underside of offfside wheel arch got forgot).

IMAG0591_zpsyjyd85p5.jpg

Not going anywhere soon

IMAG0592_zpsgi0qyb82.jpg

Knackered engine anyone?

IMAG0593_zpsgicqf0ye.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Not much progress until this weekend just gone and a couple of evenings this week. I've started stripping down the knackered engine and building up the one that's been sitting in the garage for a couple of years.

First, sensible to look at oil pick up and pump to assure me it's going to be good for a while. So off with the sump and the oil pick up pipe. While outwardly the strainer looked fine...

IMAG0680_zpsbqjq2rbh.jpg

But shine light down the pipe and its apparent that there is plenty of crud:

IMAG0684_zpseklofmad.jpg,

So I soaked it overnight in white spirit overnight, then washed thoroughly in water. After drying, it was clear that the blockages in the strainer were still there were comprised of carbon deposits. Being a cheapskate, I used a pin to clean out the particles to leave a clean and free of blockages strainer.

Meanwhile, had a look inside the block, seems clean and gunk free. End float on the bearing shells all seemed consistent

IMAG0687_zpsinb6ziad.jpg

Replaced the windage tray and pick up, ready for sump:

IMAG0692_zpsk2karcvy.jpg

Sump was reused but cleaned first. Few bits of debris in the bottom, like bits of oil dip stick funnel but no metal

IMAG0691_zpsftbwwsbs.jpg

Then gasket compound applied before bolting the pan back on

IMAG0694_zpsemjtlfdt.jpg

Next I moved onto the timing belt. Decided to change it while the block is out of the car, especially as I now realise that the crank pulley fits over the crank bolt and is not clamped in place by it and therefore undo the four cap bolts and wiggle off the pulley once a bit of WD40 has helped it come free. With timing belt covers then out the way I lined the cam up to TDC for what it's worth. I then dabbed on some paint to mark up the out going belt:

IMAG0707_zpsveoniswi.jpg

Then transferred these onto the new belt so I knew it was lining up exactly as it came off. Getting the belt tensioner roller guide back in was a little tricky once the belt was under tension, but a blunt instrument deformed the belt enough to get the roller guide back in. Place. Then rotate the engine over a few times by the crank pulley and belt tension seemed good.

Crank pulley and cover back on:

IMAG0709_zpsbpqd6zu0.jpg

I went with just replacing the belt because hydraulic tensioner looked pretty new and having removed the thermostat, I could see quality brass impellers on the water pump which rotated freely with the timing belt off

IMAG0695_zps60cbzoam.jpg

So then time to clean up the block and see what paint is on the shelf in the garage

IMAG0697_zpsi0r1r8sc.jpg

Came up with some Hammerite, aubergine :)

IMAG0706_zpsuxyydc2g.jpg

IMAG0705_zpshzmk8btq.jpg

Oil filter and crank case breather assembly on next that has been given a coat of light grey Hammerite

IMAG0710_zpsqsrf3tce.jpg

I've used the same grey on the cylinder head as it had been sprayed black (badly) previously over oil and grime so a degrease first then paint this evening.

IMAG0728_zpszrbdijaq.jpg

I've also swapped the flywheel and clutch assembly across from the out going engine. Unfortunately it's a dual mass jobbie, but hardly any wear on it. Haven't the money to upgrade at this stage so that'll be a job for another time.

IMAG0729_zpsf7djynf4.jpg

I'm going to use the opportunity of building up the,block now to simply evap, breather, vacuum and SAI bits according to Bowders excellent guide here

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/221667-how-to-evap-and-vac-breather-lines-simplification/

I can start thinking about exciting bits now like adding the manifold and turbo. Watch this space...

• Like 2

Awesome work.

Am i right in thinking that the old yellow one also had a large front grill? If that's the case then i definitely remember seeing it around the L.O.T.S/Fareham area a few years ago. I remeber thinking it looked the busines, and now i have a yellow mk1 octy myself! lol

Awesome work.

Am i right in thinking that the old yellow one also had a large front grill? If that's the case then i definitely remember seeing it around the L.O.T.S/Fareham area a few years ago. I remeber thinking it looked the busines, and now i have a yellow mk1 octy myself! lol

Most probably that was me. Lived in Gosport at time and yes one of the first to have a cut out bumper.... Don't know where the car is now, when I sold it for peanuts it still had very clean paint work and a spotless interior. And yes yellow is best :D

Done a little more this evening in that I've put all the auxiliary bits back on and refitted the belt and tensioner. Belt looked five, no cracking of the VVVV bits.

IMAG0733_zpsuwky61ih.jpg

IMAG0734_zpss00ez5yb.jpg

Also I removed the crankcase breather pipe off the out going engine and if anyone needs a reason to get their spanners out, this is reason enough to see if yours needs a clean out.

IMAG0731_zpsafeg9fth.jpg

IMAG0732_zpsjnyi0llr.jpg

So after cleaning out the tube it because apparent that the plastic had become brittle so time for a new one. Febi part, £11 inc delivery on eBay...

• Like 1