Yellow Peril II, this time its personal

Leeboy

Def going for those mounts eventually to aid drag times. Are the 550cc the same as bams or are they bigger? I wanna go standard ko4 to get mine around 280bhp and wanna make sure everythings right for r tech

Not to worry quick google search came up with 383ish for bams.

Yeah that's about right. I had some 380 cc or thereabouts in to start with but changed these under R Tech's advice as they reckoned they would struggle to supply enough fuel at the top end of the rev range and you don't want it going lean otherwise things get hot....

Edited by Leeboy
  • Like 1

Oooooooo looking good i have a soft spot for a yellow one (mines black lol) you wouldn't happen to remenber the part number for the pedal rubbers would you? the clutch pedal as my metal plate has fell off looked on etka but im not sure i have the right number

Foamy widgety thing top right of engine bay :thumbup:

Spent 10 mins last night trying to see what had changed, couldn't spot it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back from R Tech today and all I can say is MENTAL!

Made 300 / 300 on stock rods and it goes like stink.

DSC_0068_zpspl6zasyx.jpg

A new fuel pump went in while at R Tech and a set of 550 cc injectors and mapping was set to limit top power. Hardware probably capable of 350 bhp / ft lb respectively but not on stock rods, so more in the tank still.

Thinking back to yellow peril number one with its 2.0 l stroke and IHI turbo, this one is a bit more laggy when revs are below 2K but f**k me, one past 2, 2.5K it goes and unlike the old one which would run out of puff at 5K this one keeps shoving you forward all the way to 7K on account of the much better intercooler set up I reckon. The original yellow peril made 325 bhp and 375 ft lb of torque.

It's superb and happy to trundle in traffic without being difficult. Vibratech engine mounts do put a noticeable amount more vibration through the cabin but must certainly help in controlling torque steer as it in no way feels unruly through the steering wheel on what is at the moment old stock suspension with 130k miles under its belt.

One happy camper :)

great results  :clap:

• 1 month later...

Yellow Peril thread has dropped down to page two of Octavia projects so best give a little update.

Although I have installed a coil pack loom cover to protect from exhaust manifold heat, it still gets hot.

DSC_0169_zps5zoo36ls.jpg

So at no cost whatsoever, I've made a heat shield from a bit of spare stainless steel sheet and installed like so:

DSC_0170_zpse05loldb.jpg

A little bit acme but looks OK with a bit of metal polish over it.

I've also purchased a second hand fuel filler cap off ebay that doesn't have a retaining strap that is about to part company as the out going one was.

Also changed the rear bumper for one that doesn't have a ding in it. Gave me a chance to clean behind the bumper too including sunroof drains.

I also cleaned out the petrol filler drain tube that was blocked with crud!

DSC_0149_zpsbf2am1xd.jpg

Some new items from Skoda have been ordered too, more on that when they arrive and are installed.

Edited by Leeboy
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Next on the list is a tidy up of the engine bay. I found a cheap inlet manifold on eBay to clean up to do a straight swap over. And as for the rocker cover, I spannered one off the old knackered engine which is sat in the corner of the garage waiting to be stripped of any thing useful.

Both bits got a thorough degreasing before being wire brushed.

I've sprayed both with high

temperature red wrinkle finish paint so don't expect it to look as shiney as the photo suggests.

IMAG1400_zpspc4g3brs.jpg

IMAG1401_zpsq5josgl0.jpg

Will see how they look in the morning. Apparently the paint is really slow drying. Will report back on whether it looks any good!

• Like 1

Next on the list is a tidy up of the engine bay. I found a cheap inlet manifold on eBay to clean up to do a straight swap over. And as for the rocker cover, I spannered one off the old knackered engine which is sat in the corner of the garage waiting to be stripped of any thing useful.

Both bits got a thorough degreasing before being wire brushed.

I've sprayed both with high

temperature red wrinkle finish paint so don't expect it to look as shiney as the photo suggests.

IMAG1400_zpspc4g3brs.jpg

IMAG1401_zpsq5josgl0.jpg

Will see how they look in the morning. Apparently the paint is really slow drying. Will report back on whether it looks any good!

If you have a heat gun, give it a quick blast with that, did mine the same colour, heat gun and in the airing cupboard for a week, will get round to fitting it one day.

Was actually going to bake it in the oven. Can says 200 degrees for an hour to cure! Guess that will be Fahrenheit as it's an USA product but will check can again!

• Like 1

Previously I posted that some more goodies had been ordered. So fitted an item in under half an hour this evening.

The boot floor carpet had a few stains as well as a sagging base over the spare wheel well.

IMAG1403_zps5e1v9cub.jpg

So this item was ordered...

IMAG1404_zpsrzpsrz95.jpg

And duly fitted which necessitated the removal of the strengthening braces as well as the rear seat uprights.

In with the new...

IMAG1405_zpsadyzhkk0.jpg

Now I need to fix the side pocket storage thingybob and get hold of a cargo net.

The plastic boot trim across and either side of the lip need replacing to as they are pretty battered but shouldn't be too expensive.

• Like 1

Fancied doing a spot of baking last week...

DSC_0206_zpsgkuutrbr.jpg

And then proceeded to fit the cam cover. So first off with the old.

DSC_0028_zpsecfuiqhu.jpg

With new gasket installed and chance to inspect cam lobes for anything iffy looking.

DSC_0207_zps8yseu9m0.jpg

Then bolt down the refurbished cover done out in crinkle finish red together with 2.0 TSI coil packs and spacer.

DSC_0208_zpspildx2bx.jpg

Heat shield I made previously does a great job at minimising heat exposure of the coil pack wiring loom too.

Inlet manifold is next to be fitted but waiting on delivery of a dual oil pressure and temp gauge which will need access to the oil filter housing so inlet manifold will need to come off then in any case. That will also give me a chance to sort the oil leak that is coming from between the oil filter take off and oil cooler pack. That job will be the next update.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Time for an update here, although I actually did the work a few weekends back. Car had a bad oil leak and was ready to have the painted manifold fitted also. I also wanted to install additional gauges in the way of oil temp and pressure and have previously used a combined SPA digital gauge so put one on order last month.

The oil leak seemed to be coming from the oil filter take off probably because when I built up the spare engine I used a cheap pattern part gasket from GSF. I sourced a genuine Skoda part which had rubberised beading on both sides of the metal so looked like it was going to do a better job from the start. I also had a leak from the turbo oil return pipe where it bolts into the sump.

So to get at the oil filter take off meant stripping of the front of the engine so an ideal time to change the manifold too. First off was get the car up on ramps which is quicker than faffing about with axle stands. Just needs the front bumper removed though.

IMAG1436_zpszdp08cny.jpg

I also took the opportunity to tidy up the brackets and paint work of the FMIC.

Once I'd got access to the oil filter take off and having drained the oil, I set about installing the sensor for the oil pressure gauge by removing the 10mm plug in the spare port.

IMAG1437_zpsqw3ws8zw.jpg

The pressure sensor has a 1/8 bsp fitting so a 10mm to 1/8 bsp fitting was screwed in first.

IMAG1438_zpsdl6tgbk0.jpg

Followed by the sensor

IMAG1439_zps8y0n6mfx.jpg

Then it was just a question of spanner the filter take-off off the block, fit the new gasket and put it back together. No need to drain the coolant system as the oil cooler pack can be moved out of the way to access lower bolts. Then fit a new filter, clean up the oil splattered mess underneath the car and job's a good'um.

IMAG1440_zpstjt24gjv.jpg

DSC_0227_zpsqqbrsrpk.jpg

New gasket was fitted to the turbo oil return pipe too. As for oil temp probe, I used an easy solution of fitting a 14mm brass sump plug that is tapped for a 1/8 nsp thread and fitted the oil temp probe down there - didn't take a photo at the time but will get one next I'm under the car. Wiring looms for both have been routed up to the bulkhead ready to be passed to the inside of the car; a job for another weekend.

With that all done, on went the painted manifold and throttle body.

All looks pretty now!

DSC_0232_zpsbe4d7wyt.jpg

DSC_0233_zpsgg9fapke.jpg

DSC_0234_zpsaoebtmtz.jpg

After a few hundred miles over the following two weeks there is unfortunately a bit of an oil leak which I can now pin down to the seal between the block and the sump so that's got to come off next and as I'm not keen on the longevity of sealant particularly if applied in excess, I have bought a sheet of nitrile rubber to make a proper gasket for the sump, cost about £6 off ebay. I will report back on this in due course.

• Like 3