1.4 TSI and Spark Plugs

Why wait for an incident which could be costly.?

Best whip the plugs out and change them and lets see what the one in Cylinder 3 looks like.

I'm definitely not waiting for something to happen, I am more than happy to routinely change them every 10k, but im ready and waiting just incase something happens before hand as the BKR7EIX's I had in previously didnt even make it to 5k

• Like 1

Did he say they were the preferred ones to go with if you are running stage 1 and 99 Ron in a twincharger and looking for the best performance?

Well, I gave him the details of my car and he basically said that obviously he doesn't know everything about everything but reckoned they were more than capable for the job. Not saying your recommendation of the others is wrong, and there was no advantage for him to recommend one over the other. I was just curious to know what the difference between the two was, and ended up having a chat about the car. I used the Denso SKJ20-CR ones previously which I believe were fine and I'll have a look at the condition when I take them out, but will give the others a go.

• Like 1

It will be good to see how they are when they come out, 

and to hear if there is any difference as you put the new ones in.

Be sure to compare side by side the length of them.  (oo ar missus!)

• Like 1

That is OK,

that is the plugs they use, and the fact they have sh!te systems can not be helped.

Why not buy your own plugs and ask an Independent to fit them for maybe £30.

Not that much of a saving, but you might get to watch it being done, and next time do it yourself.

The only real benefit of a Skoda Dealership doing it is, 

other Members had comeback when the Plugs went bad prematurely, or when the Workshop co_cked up,

and they have a few times.

I just changed mine myself. I did scream and bit at getting the coils out but was easy sailing after. Wouldn't take me long now I've done it. I'm going to change my plugs every 10k. One my jets and breather mid has been done and i'm happy it's not burning oil I'm going to look at a remap

• Like 1

That's exactly what I'm thinking George. I trust my local independent 100% but yea thinking if skoda do it and something balls up then might get some protection

£96!! are you mad?

Buy the NGK spark plugs and bring it up to me I just done mine the other weekend.  Do it for £15.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bump for 'Wakey'.

re Factory fit Spark plugs failing prematurely with a CTHE engine and in some cases getting no place near the 

Volkswagen / Skoda 40,000 mile Service Schedule / Guidelines time to replace them.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Changing my plugs this weekend.

Is the general consensus still good on the denso vk20? Or should I be looking at the ngk 6 or 7's?

Running a bluespark box so going to gap at 0.6 which I think is correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by aholloway21

Some use the DENSO VK20,  i never have, i use the SKJ20CR~A8 (3371)

There are ones that are the latest after these,  DENSO (PKJ) not bought those yet but others have.

Never heard anyone having issues with the DENSO,  unlike with the NGK.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Read in another post, gap on awayoffski's denso plugs - runs best at 0.6mm gap, bag factory started out at 0.9, then changed to 0.8, but still having misfires, tech guy helped out and told him to use 0.6mm gap and it will run better, if I re - find post I will link it here. Hope this helps.

update:

here is is the other thread posting: 

Edited by thetraindriver01
Link added

Bluespark and others said run a Tuning Box or a Remap with 0.6mm. 

I never have, i have 0.7mm when running stage 1. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...