1.4 TSI and Spark Plugs

Going to get around to changing my plugs this weekend, cars just over 2.5 years old and only has 13k on it but since i've been seeing lots of premature plug failures i want to put something new in to monitor,

I was thinking of getting some NGK BKR7EIX

But i'm unsure what gap to use?

Can i suggest you maybe consider getting 'Denso Plugs'. SKJ20CR-A8#4   3371

When you remove the plugs if changing them, can you keep them in order so that we can see which if any are showing 

signs of overheating.

Check with Skoda UK CS or a Dealership to see if there is a ECU Update for your car.

If there is, let the Dealer Remove the Spark Plugs and check their condition since it is only on 

13,000 miles and the Service Schedule on the Plugs is 40,000 miles.

If they are showing premature failure Skoda can pay for their replacement.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

The DENSO i gave the code for are good and long lasting in a Twincharger, & often the others are not.

• Like 2

The DENSO i gave the code for are good and long lasting in a Twincharger, & often the others are not.

I gave these a go when I last changed my plugs. Can't remember the mileage I changed them at. Did it just before I had the car mapped. Seem ok. Cars due a service in a few thousand miles so I'll check them before that and see how they are.

So ive managed after swearing a bit to get the plugs out of my car

Heres a picture of the plugs left to right as you look in the engine bay

l4BOD7H.jpg

close up of the left 2

4HTeZtK.jpg

and close up of the right 2

1xPtL0X.jpg

I dont think these look too bad to be fair, but im going to stick in some new ones later

Also what is this hose ive circled as ive managed to split it slightly when removing a coil pack?

qLpDnbU.jpg

Not sure what the pipe is. But I feel for you. I had to do the same job last night. With no spark plug socket thay had the rubber bit in. So it also involved swearing and finally a set of very long nose pliers. That left hand side is ridiculous. Had a very good look round mine for the first time last night. Never realised how tight everything is under the engine.

Anyway thats of topic, cant help to put new plugs in.

• Like 1

yeah i've kept the plugs and put the new ones in since i had them and getting them out is a pain in the back side, as for the pipe i've put some heat resistant glue on it took it for a spin nothing fired up on the dash so im going to assume its okay,

I did have to top up with oil again i'm using about half a litre every 1000 miles but since the plugs looked okay i dont think its burning excessively for it to be an issue, i just used up the free can of oil i got with my last monte so ill see what the thicker oil i bought does when its ready for another top up.

all in all im feeling pretty happy with the car :)

ah right, thought the car would need to be burning more than the 0.5l per 1000km before they did anything? i might have to go down the route of asking for it to be fixed before the warranty runs out in sept.

ah right, thought the car would need to be burning more than the 0.5l per 1000km before they did anything? i might have to go down the route of asking for it to be fixed before the warranty runs out in sept.

It would. Thgrinch is wrong.

vxh26,

you will be going on the line of 'May use 0.5 litres 1000 km'   0.5 litres 621 miles / 1 litre 1,242 miles.

Actually many are deemed to be 'Using Excessive Oil' without consuming 1 litre in 1,242 miles, 

and action being taken.

Th3Grinch has actually had 2 vRS and a replacement engine while you have read some stuff online.

Which do yopu think might know more about the subject and Oil Consumption Tests.?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just had my spark plugs replaced during its routine major service interval. have kept the plugs to see what they looked like after 26300mi.

Background: owned from new, ITG Maxogen & TMC box fitted at after 24months @ 9700mi, used on setting 7 there after. Only Tesco Momentum 99 ron used throught its life.

Uses around 750ml of oil per 1000-1200mi.

Photo shows condition of the plugs from cylinder 1 (far left) to 4.

Having deno plugs fitted on monday along with some ebc yellowstuff pads and new discs :)

th_978637824_IMG_3363_122_466lo.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Milliners.... Who mapped your car? What figures you get, if you had on dyno? also what gap on plugs mate?

Sorry for the late reply. AwesomeGTI mapped the car with an APR stage 1, think 212bhp came out and can't remember torque figures. And don't know what gap, think they just went straight in.

Often the Price. Not much between them.

(I paid as much as £65 for 4 plugs at a Local Motor Factor)

I use the SKJ20CR~A8, (3371)

IRIDIUM LONG LIFE

These check as correct for the Engines, & Audi Dealership workshops were fitting these.

As listed for the Audi A1 1.4 TFSI 185 ps / 132 kw * CAVG Twincharger engine*

http://sparkplugs.co.uk/denso-spark-plug-skj20cr-a8

SKJ20CR~A8 @£9.53 Each

VK20 @ £12.64 each

EDIT.  No idea if this is an error on prices, and they mixed them up.  Bargain though.

Others use the VK20 (5604)

IRIDIUM TOUGH 

because that is what Euro Car Parts have that shows as the plugs for the engines.

http://eurocarparts.com

£13.49 each

Edited by goneoffSKi

I'm currently running what ever the vw dealer put in when I had my most recent misfire mishap while away on holiday.

I've got a box in the boot containing my coil pack puller, plug spanner and a set of NGK SIZFR6B8EG's ready for the next incident....

• Like 1