Fuse/License Plate Lights issue

Hi Guys,

I fitted some LED lights for my rear number plate on an Octavia vRS II, checked they worked after install and all fine.

My neighbor then informed me they were not on later on in the evening, so checked all the fuses in my internal fuse (wasn't sure which one they were connected to) and found the 15a fuse that sits in its own older above the fuse box had gone.

Now the fuse keeps popping as soon as I put a new one in. I have tried doing it with the old bulbs fitted, and with no bulbs fitted, even tried a 20a in there just to see if it would blow, and it did.

I can't find anything else that isn't functioning correctly, so does this fuse just look after the License Plate lights? (15a seems quite high in my uneducated opinion)

I can't see any reason for a shorting connection either.

Anyone come across this before?

Thanks in advance

I do not believe the rear number plate lights are fused. Even if they were then it won't be a 15A fuse.

There are only eight 15A fuse functions on the Octavia:

1) Horn

2) Valve for fuel dosing

3) Control unit for automatic gearbox

4) Radio

5) Lambda probe, NOX sensor & fuel pump relay

6) Rear window wiper

7) Wipe wash pump for windscreen

8) Towing device.

There is a diagram on the backside of the end panel / fuse box cover which will tell you what the fuse that keeps blowing is responsible for.

Be warned it has been known to cause more confusion than it solves!

2.jpg

From another thread helpfully written / created by FUBAR...

"As the fuse box layout in my manual is utterly incorrect by sequence and allocations I have rearranged the original fuse layout card in a rather pikey fashion (MS Paint cut and past each one, took forever). Assumption is card supplied refers to LHD cars not RHD so all lines are back to front. Numbers are irrelevant as they do not correspond with the owners manual regardless of which order but symbols to locations are correct for my car now.

The following is correct for my 2011 Octavia II FL CR TDi anyway (yet I have some extra unlisted fuses in car): I am printing it out to keep in car.

Before:

Fuses%25203.png

After (This now corresponds to my fuse box as I look at it holding card upright):

Fuses%25204.png

Edited by silver1011
  • Thanks 1

I do not believe the rear number plate lights are fused. Even if they were then it won't be a 15A fuse.

There are only eight 15A fuse functions on the Octavia:

1) Horn

2) Valve for fuel dosing

3) Control unit for automatic gearbox

4) Radio

5) Lambda probe, NOX sensor & fuel pump relay

6) Rear window wiper

7) Wipe wash pump for windscreen

8) Towing device.

There is a diagram on the backside of the end panel / fuse box cover which will tell you what the fuse that keeps blowing is responsible for.

Be warned it has been known to cause more confusion than it solves!

2.jpg

From another thread helpfully written / created by FUBAR...

"As the fuse box layout in my manual is utterly incorrect by sequence and allocations I have rearranged the original fuse layout card in a rather pikey fashion (MS Paint cut and past each one, took forever). Assumption is card supplied refers to LHD cars not RHD so all lines are back to front. Numbers are irrelevant as they do not correspond with the owners manual regardless of which order but symbols to locations are correct for my car now.

The following is correct for my 2011 Octavia II FL CR TDi anyway (yet I have some extra unlisted fuses in car): I am printing it out to keep in car.

Before:

Fuses%25203.png

After (This now corresponds to my fuse box as I look at it holding card upright):

Fuses%25204.png

Thanks Briskodian,

I thought 15a was a bit high to be in line with the lights. I picked up some new standard bulbs, put them in and they have done the trick. I may have put the LED ones in backwards, I have heard before that can burn them out.

However, this still leaves me with the mystery of what this solo 15a fuse is that keeps going. In the picture you posted of the fuse box, this fuse sits in the gap just up and to the left of the fuse box, behind the light control, and is a box with 2 blue wires coming from the back. Sorry cant get to my car to take an image at the moment.

The car has had an aftermarket towbar fitted, I am starting to think it may be something to do with that? Certainly seems aftermarket to my rookie eyes.

My car had a mystery blue wire / connector coming from the fusebox, it turned out to be a feed for the aftermarket hands-free phone kit...

IMG_6678_zpsu86oyuvs.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just replaced my LED number plate bulbs with standard ones but on refitting, I touched the contact on the bodywork and shorted this out! must have blown a fuse but not sure which one!

Can anyone help?

• 3 years later...
On 20/05/2016 at 07:45, VRS_Dan said:

Just replaced my LED number plate bulbs with standard ones but on refitting, I touched the contact on the bodywork and shorted this out! must have blown a fuse but not sure which one!

Can anyone help?

SNAP ! ... Did you ever find out what had blown?