Mirrorlink - update from Skoda UK 29/5/2015

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm new to the forum and have just taken a pre registered Fabia mkIII on HP with a Skoda dealer. Firstly, How do I know which week the car was built? Secondly, If I have issues with mirrorlink what should I do?

Wish I read this thread last night before signing this afternoon!

Welcome to the forum . First thing I would do is ask dealer build week of the car if it has got smart link or mirrorlink if it's the latter don't buy it . Don't get me wrong it's a great car but mine has cost me a lot of money trying to make it work when it won't with iPhone and will only work with about 3 android phones. Or get dealer to fit kenwood unit if you want sat nav .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you haven't signed anything you are still In the driving seat .If he has the car ask to try your phone in it , tell him you have read this thread on here if he seems avasive don't buy it . Hope this helps you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi I'm new to the forum and have just taken a pre registered Fabia mkIII on HP with a Skoda dealer. Firstly, How do I know which week the car was built? Secondly, If I have issues with mirrorlink what should I do?

Wish I read this thread last night before signing this afternoon!

If you have the VIN number, then download the Skoda Service App to your phone and enter the VIN. You'll then get the build date.

The Mirrorlink issue relates to pre week 22 (2015 MY) cars which were built up to 25th May this year.

I should add that although ours is a 2016MY car, I've not yet managed to get Android Auto to work properly, but will have a more prolonged attempt when daughter returns from Uni for Christmas.

If anyone has cracked how to set up Android Auto and can use Google Maps on the move, please post details.

• Like 1

I have a 2015 Fabia with Mirrorlink. I was unable to get Mirrorlink to work with my phones. I am now glad that it would not work because The Kenwood Navigation system has now been supplied and fitted,free of any charge. This Kenwood navigation is excellent.  If your car has any mirrorlink or similar problems ask your dealer to supply and fit the Kenwood equipment...providing they do this, you will not be disappointed.  Many Fabia owners have taken this option.

Jlwah thank you for your info.

I'll tell you what I've learned about 'android auto'. Firstly the car needs to have the 'smartlink' system for it to work. Your mobile device needs to be running android 5.0 lollipop or higher. To find that out go into your phones settings and tap 'about phone'. It'll tell you in there what version your running. You then need to install the android auto app onto your phone. Connect your phone via the USB port in the car. Be sure that the infotainment system recognises your USB cable is connected. Once connected go into infotainment menu choose smartlink then choose android auto. Accept the conditions of use. You must have your 3g data connection switched on to use Google maps.

So, in brief;

Smartlink - check.

Android version 5.0 lollipop - check.

USB cable that works - check.

3G data connection on - check.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Moondog
  • Like 1

If you have the VIN number, then download the Skoda Service App to your phone and enter the VIN. You'll then get the build date.

The Mirrorlink issue relates to pre week 22 (2015 MY) cars which were built up to 25th May this year.

I should add that although ours is a 2016MY car, I've not yet managed to get Android Auto to work properly, but will have a more prolonged attempt when daughter returns from Uni for Christmas.

If anyone has cracked how to set up Android Auto and can use Google Maps on the move, please post details.

Hi,

I have a pre-week 22 Fabia III. Although the MirrorLink is available in the Bolero menu, it won't recognize my iPhone 6 when I plug it in (it says something like "USB not recognized").

So the final verdict is that there is no way to activate MirrorLink on these pre-week 22 Fabias and the only solution is to have Bolero replaced with Kenwood?

If so, would I still have to pay a portion of the costs if the dealer were to replace it?

The Kenwood is a plug & play Sat Nav module, it doesn't actually replace the Bolero.

If you take the issue up with Skoda CS you should be able to get the Kenwood fitted FOC.

Oh, I see. Do they have orders that they should fit it if a customer demands it, or is it a matter of luck and their good will that they'd do it?

Edited by jon15

Oh, I see. Do they have orders that they should fit it if a customer demands it, or is it a matter of luck and their good will that they'd do it?

Very much the later i'm afraid.

Prepare for a battle, as you will need your supplying dealer and Skoda UK to go halves each on the cost of the Kenwood.

Good luck!

Very much the later i'm afraid.

Prepare for a battle, as you will need your supplying dealer and Skoda UK to go halves each on the cost of the Kenwood.

Good luck!

Ah, then I guess I won't bother going to great lengths about it, as I can already imagine they won't be willing to do it. I'm not from UK, though, either...

Btw, how much does it cost otherwise?

Ah, then I guess I won't bother going to great lengths about it, as I can already imagine they won't be willing to do it. I'm not from UK, though, either...

Btw, how much does it cost otherwise?

£599 in the UK fitted.

Hi guys

Have just bought a 1.2 SEL Fabia which i am very pleased  with apart from the fact i cannot get my smartphone (a moto e) to link up with the cars info system. On reading the posts about this it appears i am not alone. The car was built in March 2015 so looks like i will be contacting Skoda CS and my dealer to try and get the Kenwood system bolted on as one of the main reasons for purchase was to be able to use a sat nav app.

Will try and keep you updated on progress.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know how to contact Kate from skoda who seems to know all about this? I'm sick of being passed off.

Dad bought car for mum specifically as it had sat nav capability with his phone, he is now seriously ill and cannot keep negotiating as he has put up with it for over a year.

Mum got lost on the way to hospital to visit him, really needs sat nav working in some capacity.

The Kenwood unit sounds like a fix to me.

Edited by was8v

On 9 May 2017 at 10:49, was8v said:

Does anyone know how to contact Kate from skoda who seems to know all about this? I'm sick of being passed off.

Dad bought car for mum specifically as it had sat nav capability with his phone, he is now seriously ill and cannot keep negotiating as he has put up with it for over a year.

Mum got lost on the way to hospital to visit him, really needs sat nav working in some capacity.

The Kenwood unit sounds like a fix to me.

Call 01144503302, just reopened my case and yet again been palmed off. I was originally offered a Garmin satnav way back in October 2015 but rejected it to try and get the Kenwood module installed but was told I'd have to pay.

Just had a voicemail today informing me that they won't give me the Garmin now even as a gesture of goodwill as my phone is not on the Skoda compatibility list so good luck.

• 3 months later...

After a long long battle of being palmed off - 2 years - I took up the mantle in May as you see above.

I had an Xperia Z3 Compact at the time of purchase of the car and that never worked.

The dealer took the car in and couldn't get the unit to connect to any phone in their possession on the list. Still they / Skoda wouldn't fix it even though the car is in warranty!

I was offered tom tom units etc but no way are they close to what was purchased.

However after writing a letter before action to formally reject the car, the Fabia III has just had a kenwood garmin nav unit fitted FOC by the dealer.

Keep going! Don't let them palm you off, they know all about this problem but will pretend otherwise.

Unfortunately my dad didn't live long enough to see this battle won :(

After 4x new Skodas bought in the family, we are never ever going to buy another due to this experience! A component in warranty did not work, and they just flatly refused to fix it for so long.

Edited by was8v

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my Fabia 1.2 SEL in April 2015 a lot on the basis of the reviews in Autoexpress and its car of the year award and the fact that I had had a Skoda Estate 1.9 TDI for 10 years. The infotainment system was updateable and a mapping system run from an android phone and you got a mirror image of your home page on the screen.

I had a test drive of the car and liked it. I was also told I could only use an Android phone with Mirrorlink so I went ahead and bought it.

The phone I had was fairly old so mirrorlink could not run on it I then discovered there were very few phones that worked with it and since I don't use my phone very much I did not want a contract only a PAYG phone to discover that the phone and mapping app would set me back about £500

Reading the info on Briskoda from other members we were effectively lied to by Skoda. Yes updates were on there way just be patient and yes there would be a fix for iPhone owners then about 2 months after I bought the car they brought out the 2016 version which worked with iPhones and Android and no the old system could not be updated so I gave up nagging Skoda and in the end accepting a Garmin Satnav. It certainly took the gloss of buying a new Skoda

But there was a sort of happy ending I changed my old phone for a PAYG Samsung Galaxy S4 mini GT-i9195 for about £120 and found by chance Mirrorlink worked with it so bought the Sygic mapping system which does work.