Mirrorlink - update from Skoda UK 29/5/2015

1st post

The one good thing about the Sygic Nav app (the only one that works) is that it has a heads-up plug-in option. I'd like to see car manufacturers obliged by law to provide heads-up displays as standard... at the very least, but sat navs really should be banned, at least in their current form. Any inventors out there fancy a challenge?

Sorry.

And.. Hi!!

Eddy

Have been thinking about getting Copilot and looking at the in app purchases one of which is a heads up display unit for about £30 looks like a good idea especially after receiving a phone call from Skoda UK after being told that I am basically stuck with the pre week 22 unit as the new units being fitted can only be installed while the vehicle is being built Joe

No rejection is not an option for me as I need the car too much and I think rejection would be very hard to prove after the advice I have been given . I rejected a new caravan a few years back and it just got stressfull and involved more cost .will keep on having ago at them and see what happens.

Having just picked up my new Fabia today I can safely say the Car is great but what a let down with Mirrorlink all I got was please connect a usb device and that was that. No update from dealer either. Just as well the cars is great or I would really be hacked off with this Farce.

Glad you like your new motor Mick.

Mirrorlink has taken the shine off it for me, I just can't believe Skoda's attitude.

We will just have to see what happens.

Enjoy!

Thanks Kev

Had my call from Skoda customer services all very nice how is the car ? By the way we are going to nothing about mirror link . Not even any updates.

I'm off to lie down in a dark room .

• Like 1

After looking for other solutions i might move to a padded cell it does not matter what phone you look at they all have issues.The best solution i have found is that my iPhone 6 plus fits across the  centre console and i can see the map on my phone, and the voice bluetooth over.

I tried everything with customer service this morning they have an answer for everything that you can throw at them.As for compensation forget it its not their  problem its the phone manufactures and mirror-link.

Watchdog have not picked on it yet so i hope Autoexpress can help.

If you bought and paid for something that you were offered and did not receive ask the seller for the cost of this back,

start with the Dealership that sold the car, and they can go to the Manufacturer that they sell for as a Franchised Dealer to get their money back.

No need for Auto Express or Watchdog just use the UK Sale of Goods act and the Law of the 4 countries if you are in the UK.

Give them notice in writing of being mis-sold, and ask to be refunded,

and do copies and send to Skoda UK, & Editors at Auto Express, Autocar, Car, Evo, Top Gear, VW Driver, Audi Driver, Which, Watchdog etc.

• Like 2

If you bought and paid for something that you were offered and did not receive ask the seller for the cost of this back,

start with the Dealership that sold the car, and they can go to the Manufacturer that they sell for as a Franchised Dealer to get their money back.

No need for Auto Express or Watchdog just use the UK Sale of Goods act and the Law of the 4 countries if you are in the UK.

Give them notice in writing of being mis-sold, and ask to be refunded,

and do copies and send to Skoda UK, & Editors at Auto Express, Autocar, Car, Evo, Top Gear, VW Driver, Audi Driver, Which, Watchdog etc.

I have done exactly all of those things, but with nothing in writing it is very hard to prove.

My dealership has a complaint in writing from me, which has been forwarded to both Skoda UK  (who I have also complained to previously and got nowhere) and Auto Express.

The dealerships have been told by Skoda that no compensation will be granted, and the dealerships don't want to go against that advice.

Constant pressure is being applied from all angles trust me!

Edited by kevrs16

It's not just the cost now, but could make the car less desirable affecting residuals once it becomes common knowledge to get added to buyers guides (honest John etc)

Already used that angle with Skoda UK, and they just don't care.

Charming Skoda.

Do you mean you used it with Skoda UK Customer Services, & Customer Services Managers?

Use it with Skoda UK where they have to then check with their Legal Advisers as to how they will stand in a court in England / Wales 

or Scotland.

The Companies opinion counts for nothing if Trading Standards Legal Department differ in their opinion on if the UK law is on your side.

The Volkswagen Group are not known for holding their hands up and accepting they mis-sold to anyone until 

they are at the position that a Court might have a case which then leaves them open to having to settle with many that they mis-sold to.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I even requested a meeting with someone from Skoda or Skoda UK at the head office in Milton Keynes which was denied.

They refuse the mis-selling angle, and just direct you to Motor codes to complain (which I did, and who were useless)

They say that as long as Mirrorlink works, then all is fine - completely missing the point.

It's not just the cost now, but could make the car less desirable affecting residuals once it becomes common knowledge to get added to buyers guides (honest John etc)

I raised that point when Skoda UK rang me their bright suggestion was there would be more phones available in the future that would work with Mirrorlink. If they don't support the system which companies are going to make compatible phones. Breath Hold and Don't spring to mind Joe

so

I raised that point when Skoda UK rang me their bright suggestion was there would be more phones available in the future that would work with Mirrorlink. If they don't support the system which companies are going to make compatible phones. Breath Hold and Don't spring to mind Joe

So skoda include a techology in the car which doesn't support the vast majority of current phones (and that tech is one of the selling points of the car),

And Skoda's answer is wait until the tech provider catches up and you will need to buy a new phone from a list of unknown size and unknown list of supported app (chosen by skoda)?

Not exactly helpful.

When I was looking at the fabia 3 due to my personal phone being windows based it would never be supported on mirrorlink, as it only works with android.

so I was able to look at the car on basic tech with no fancy gizmo's at which point to me it seemed over priced for the spec and with mirror link out of the equation no unique selling points for me

I doubt it will affect the residuals to much unless skoda do nothing, and it will depend on how many people decide it is a must have tech and avoid early models and if skoda provide an update to the early models

Edited by bluecar1

I was advised that I could pursue Skoda under The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations which give you new rights to redress if you've been the victim of misleading actions or aggressive selling . In which you could wind the contract back in the first 90 days and get a refund or compensation .

We need more people to complain to Skoda then they might to listen, but until then keep on at them through the media.

I've also contacted What Car?, who were a big part of the reason why I bought the Fabia through their reviews and Car of the Year accolade. However, I was thinking that because What Car? And AutoExpressUk spoke so highly of the car, and even had sponsored advertising campaigns for Skoda, their hands may be tied when it comes to progressing complaints against a client who must have paid a handsome some for the advertising... Just a thought...

In any event, I take delivery this afternoon of my SEL Hatch 90 TSI in Race Blue with Prestiges, and I'm doing everything I can to be super excited and not pi#$ed the fu@# off with this Mirrorlink fiasco!!! Let's see if my LG G4 works on it... Or it might just be a Bluetooth streamed sound for Google Maps on the phone's screen with a Kenu Airframe solution for me.

Edited by Dilz
  • Like 2

Enjoy the new car Dilz I got mine on Monday and it's great you won't be disappointed with the Fabia . I love mine already and that's one reason why rejection is not an option for me

• Like 4

Hmmm... Just recieved a call from my dealer saying that couldn't switch on the "auto lock when setting off" feature on the car due to it having the push button to start?!

Has anybody else been able to switch on a feature to have the doors lock automatically when setting off in their SEL cars in the UK?

Hmmm... Just recieved a call from my dealer saying that couldn't switch on the "auto lock when setting off" feature on the car due to it having the push button to start?!

Has anybody else been able to switch on a feature to have the doors lock automatically when setting off in their SEL cars in the UK?

That's rubbish, I have auto locking on my SEL - They need educating.

Maybe it's a setting on the Bolero system?

I'm not sure to be honest, I had my dealer add auto lock and alarm beeps before I picked the car up. I thought it was via the VCDS system, but i'm not 100% on that.

Yeah that's exactly what I asked for. Auto lock and alarm beeps. But the chap sounded like he didn't have a clue!

After the VCDS tweaks, you can now see the two setting for Automatic Locking and Acoustic Signal under the Bolero, Car Settings, Opening and Closing... Right?

Yeah that's exactly what I asked for. Auto lock and alarm beeps. But the chap sounded like he didn't have a clue!

After the VCDS tweaks, you can now see the two setting for Automatic Locking and Acoustic Signal under the Bolero, Car Settings, Opening and Closing... Right?

I will have to have a look!