Supermarket or Shell Petrol

bradfordfabia

We have had the car now for 3 weeks and the petrol warning has come on. The dealer filled up the car at my local Shell garage and I want to go they but its cheaper at Morrison's. Should I try Morrison's petrol to see how engine reacts.

We have had the car now for 3 weeks and the petrol warning has come on. The dealer filled up the car at my local Shell garage and I want to go they but its cheaper at Morrison's. Should I try Morrison's petrol to see how engine reacts.

To be honest.. I just use whatever, Sainsbury's normal Unleaded got me 411 miles and Texaco normal unleaded got me pretty much the same, I don't really think it matters what fuel you use.. but more how you drive

the detergents in shell v power are at clean up dosage, one fill in every 4 should be enough to keep an engine clean.  I doubt you would notcie any difference from the igher RON, but the detergents may help over time.

I've had a couple of tankful's of super unleaded in mine now, and I cant notice any difference, and fuel economy wise if anything its dropped, which could be do to a heavier right foot obviously!!

In my Citigo 75 ps I did a `survey` over 3000 miles, first using supermarket /normal unleaded, and then 3000 miles on Shell V Power. Over that time I averaged 2mpg more on V power so not a big gain BUT  it runs much better on Vpower, much more responsive, so you will not get your money back on V Power by a reduction in fuel usage, but long term I think the better fuel will pay dividends, so it`s pay your money etc, etc!

• 2 months later...

Tesco unleaded is the best of the supermarket fuels.

That depends upon where they source it from. In fact, who actually refined your fuel depends upon where in the country you are. The industry runs on exchange deals plus brand-owners additive pack.

I've found that shell fuels are always vastly better than supermarket fuels.

It's been tested and documented at great length by some well respected people.

There tends to be far less issues with cars that don't use supermarket fuel, maybe it's a cleaner product and it produces a more efficient combustion cycle?

Once upon a time the vw group would ask for fuel samples regarding certain component failures and throw the warranty claim out if they found fuel from a certain supermarket where Richard Hammond gets his shopping as it was deemed sub standard.