vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

The Skoda extended warranty covers 'sudden' and 'unexpected' failure - not sure who that plays out when you 'only' have excessive oil usage at the moment i.e. the engine hasn't actually failed - however, FSSH is in your favour and the car isn't yet five years old (unless it's a January 2012...) - I'd get it into a Skoda dealer a.s.a.p. and take it from there. The warranty is definitely worth having - without it you're totally at the mercy of Skoda's 'goodwill'.

Just noticed that in post #246 that it is not a CAVE.

Sadly early CTHE had issues & there is a member here that had a CAVE that got a new engine and then bought a CTHE and it needed a replacement engine 

and then that used Oil & needed new Oil Spray Jets.

There were issues early CTHE with Software which was changed later.

The whole VW Group 1.4TSI Twincharger fiasco from 2009-2015 & still ongoing is just pathetic on the part of the VW Group.

• Like 2

The Skoda extended warranty covers 'sudden' and 'unexpected' failure - not sure how that plays out when you 'only' have excessive oil usage at the moment i.e. the engine hasn't actually failed - however, FSSH is in your favour and the car isn't yet five years old (unless it's a January 2012...) - I'd get it into a Skoda dealer a.s.a.p. and take it from there. The warranty is definitely worth having - without it you're totally at the mercy of Skoda's 'goodwill'.

:blush:

I must have a limited edit time now my 'Freedom' has expired.

Edited by Brian69

• 4 months later...

I just thought I would add to this thread as a few weeks ago I reported my high oil consumption to my local dealer (rainworth Skoda)

It has undergone the consumption test and late last week it was confirmed my car exceeded tolerance and they were speaking to Skoda uk as to the next step. Roll on this afternoon and a call to book the car in on the 30th. They are doing the crank case oil breather mod, oil spray jets and ecu update.

Im happy they are going to do both, best chance of a fix by the looks of it. Hopefully this will be the end of my issues and no more oil all over the back of the car!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GenePoolReject said:

I just thought I would add to this thread as a few weeks ago I reported my high oil consumption to my local dealer (rainworth Skoda)

It has undergone the consumption test and late last week it was confirmed my car exceeded tolerance and they were speaking to Skoda uk as to the next step. Roll on this afternoon and a call to book the car in on the 30th. They are doing the crank case oil breather mod, oil spray jets and ecu update.

Im happy they are going to do both, best chance of a fix by the looks of it. Hopefully this will be the end of my issues and no more oil all over the back of the car!!

i would be pushing for a new engine mate, think of how gummed up your valves will be 

Edited by thomasaspin

The thing is if it is a Warranty Fix you pretty much have to go with that being done the same as you had before then getting a new engine.

19 hours ago, GenePoolReject said:

Good to hear. At your next oil change it might be worth puting some oil additives in just to clean through the system and invest in some decent oil. Been using Liqui Moly 5w30 Top Tec 4200 and hasn't used a drop in the last 1000 miles, however there are many other great oils out there as well which Awayoffski can recommend.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ Very true.

But then Xeon5 had a Oil user VW Polo GTI that was running the 5 w 30 FS Long Life Oil that VW Recommended vw504 00.

He needed a Warranty Company to deal with paying for the work on his engine, 

like many others needed the VW Group / Skoda Manufacturers Warranty to rebuild or replace CAVE & CTHE engines or give supposed 'Goodwill'.

The 

VW 502 00 5w 40 fs is the recommended spec for fixed servicing and might just save all kinds of grief and expense because 'Long Life Oil' does Twinchargers no favours even if changed at 9,400 mile / 372 day fixed service intervals.

Yes only anecdotal evidence,  

but then hard evidence is available because the VW Group know just how many engine failures there were with 1.4 TSI / TFSI Twincharger Euro 5 Emission engines 2009-2017.

Not that they a going to publish that, and how many had Full Main Dealer Servicing from the Factory Build until the engine failing Oil Consumption tests and requiring Warranty Work, Engine Rebuild, Replacement or Oil Spray Jet replacement. 

Even how many replacement engines then failed.

Im sticking to recommended oil while I'm under warranty, I don't want them to have any reason to not pay out since after today's work if it continues to use oil it will require a new engine.

On the bright side I've got lovely 110ps 1.2tsi Fabia courtesy car that I'm enjoying far more than expected!

12 hours ago, pearce_jj said:

Be very careful deviating from manufacturer spec for oil, it can be disastrous in some cases (I know from experience, a £4K experience that is).

Agreeded, however the oil I used is within manufacture specification (see approvals and recommendations): https://products.liqui-moly.com/top-tec-4200-5w-30-6.html

As long as it meets one of the VW 50X 0X numbers in the handbook then it should be fine. VW recommend Castrol normally as a brand which to these engines is like water down a plug hole :D

Oil is a complex subject these days, my question would be simply why deviate? It just seems that the engine manufacturer, in this case one with a $bn research and development budget, would surely have come to the best conclusion already, especially given the topic of this thread that has given them so much problem.

Are you having a laugh?   The VW Group are the ultimate in 3 Monkeys and now proven to lie and cheat customers and governments.

Go to the Octavia Mk2 section and the Pinned thread on 1.8 & 2.0 tsi Engine Failures.

Go to the post yesterday by rayx in this thread.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/433221-views-on-using-this-oil 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/353149-fabia-mk2-vrs-14tsi-replacement-engines-replaced-how-many 

The 1.4tsi / tfsi 132/136 kw twincharger engines are discontinued. 

The failure rate is high, there were fundamental design and manufacturing faults in materials and components / consumables and revision of parts and software.

Yet 5w 40 FS oil has proved to help reduce failures greatly.

None as blind as those who will not see.

The VW Group never accepted their failings and if they had addressed Servicing & Maintenance and the Service Schedule / Guidelines there may have been less failures in the first 2 years on CAVE engines and the now failing rate of CTHE,

and also the Sister cars with 1.4 TSI Twinchargers.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

Edited by Awayoffski

Hello everyone. Appreciate this has likely been done to death. However... I'll pose the question anyway. Thinking of buying a fabia vrs 61 plate (2011) now I've read all the stuff about oil consumption. And I'm a bit terrified to say the least. Would you recommend purchasing a 2011 using the cave engine or not. High oil consumption aside what other risks or dangers and involved relating to this issue. Would love the vrs but I'm terrified it goes horribly wrong . Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Welcome.

Best buy one that a member here can recommend because they traded it in or are selling it.

Or maybe ask at a Glasgow Tuning place if they know of a good one.

http://ecotune-scotland.co.uk 

Loads of smiles for miles and not much money.

But you need to go read the many many posts like yours in this section, and do your checks then decide if you can afford to place your bet and take your chances.

It can and does go horribly wrong buying a CAVE engine vRS.

But you could be buying one that is all sorted, so that is the lottery.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

Coming up for 5 years now since the CAVE engines were no longer going in new vRS.

Be very careful of 'Independent Warranties' on used Mk2 Fabia vRS.

Also be aware that Modifications or a Remap that the car might have, or has had can void a warranty claim, 

and also check out the Maximum that can be claimed, then there is the cost of Diagnosis and stripping down that can be involved.

Then the 'Independent Warranty Provider' wanting to rebuild a engine with known but never admitted to, Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Material & Component failures.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

Beware of issues with early CTHE 2012-2013 as well.

Then DSG Issues 2013-2015 now starting to become more common.

That is after those 2010-2013 when there was a Service Campaign to change the Oil in the ECU and do a Software Update. '34F7'.

The latest Service Campaign 2013-2015 DSG is '34H5'.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, pearce_jj said:

Or use the known history to get the garage to throw in a decent independent warranty.

Hmmm - I'm generally wary of these (personally wouldn't buy one but that's just my opinion) and to echo George you'd have to tread very carefully with a MKII.

^^^ Brian had one of the first built vRS into the UK, and it was good and a member here still has it.

I still have another of the first built at the same time as Brians.

NathvRS had another of these and it was a Media Car. Sold recently for Spares or Repair.

There are good ones around and some member here have some of the earliest built and going well still.

It is a lottery.

Thanks for the advice guys. My heart really wants one. But must admit my head is starting to say it's too risky. I may visit the dealer which is selling one and see what they say. Is there a big risk of complete engine failure as a result of the oil consumption issue? 

Tell us the dealer, maybe the registration and one of us might know the car.

If at Arnold Clark that is an issue straight off, they all have memory loss there.

I am in Glasgow tomorrow if you want me to look at it, any time after 10.30 am.

Looking at cars anyway.

OK. Will go see it. I will spend time going over it. 

You get the low down from the sales person.

You need to nail them down on the Warranty, then the Servicing that they say was or can be done is questionable.

There have been lemons sold by them in the past, a White one that was in Edinburgh for an example, and an estate they had.

(there was a thread on it at one point.)

So £6,105 @ Evans Halshaw

Ford Dealership,  Cumbernauld Road.

G33 2ET

I am going to Provanmill anyway as it happens.

Edited by Awayoffski

Ask, 

Who was last Registered Keeper of PK61 KZC

Between MOT's on 26th October 2016 and 20th March 2017 it covered over 24,000 miles....

So in 5 Months.

Call Skoda UK Customer Services and ask if this car has its original engine fitted or if it had a replacement engine.

Edited by Awayoffski