vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

It has been common that oil could be as low as 1.5 litres less than 3.6 litres in the engine before the yellow low oil light or a message shows on maxidot or that a red oil can light or low oil pressure message shows. Some are even 2 litres low before a warning of any kind,  so more than half the oil that there should be in the engine, so nobody should trust to the oil level sensors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from test driving a 14 plate estate CTHE with 34k miles as always fancied one of these and yeti now sold after 30,000 miles of happy motoring.

Obviously my main concern is oil consumption.

Having nosed about on here a bit it I have formed the (highly subjective) view that the CAVE engines have been much more problematic and the CTHE much better (albeit not faultless). Does anyone have any comments on this, or any hard data about failure rates?

After the test drive I spoke to the service manager who acknowledged that about 60% CAVE's sold by this dealership came back for oil consumption related work or engine swaps.  He also said of the 20 or so CTHE engines cars they maintain, none have demonstrated any problems to date......but then they would say that wouldn't they.

So are CTHE much better than CAVE or is it just that they haven't been around for long enough to fail yet?

thanks

They would say that wouldn't they but it is my understanding that VW introduced the CTHE engine in order to overcome the high oil consumption problems that the CAVE engine suffered from. The fact that they have subsequently abandoned it for the next generation Fabia Mk. III would tend to suggest that they weren't entirely successful.

It is a nice car but with a very harsh ride on imperfect roads.

CTHE been around since October 2012 so near 5 years. The CAVE engines now over 7 years in Fabias, and in Seat Ibiza before that.

There are CAVE engine cars that have had 2 or 3 replacement engines.

Less than 1,000 Mk2 Fabia vRS with a CTHE in the UK compared to 1,800 CAVE engine ones.

Early CTHE had issues still early on, and more are having issues now, and they might be slightly different as in Timing Chains, but still some with Spark Plug short lives, oil consumption and the water pumps will likely need replacing just as they do with a CAVE, ie when that time comes.

There are even CTHE engines that had Breather Mods & even New Oil Spray Jets fitted to try and resolve Oil Consumption, 

odd as the Breather Mods were being done to CAVE engines before CTHE were on sale.

The DQ200 DSG Service Campaign was done on cars with a box built from 2010-2013, 34F5, Synthetic Oil changed to mineral oil, & a software update.

and now some built 2013-2014 ones need '34H5' doing. These should have Mineral Oil considering a World Wide Recall began in 2012.

Thanks for the advice, I decided not to purchase the VRS in the end, too worried about various issues with the engine and box.

Maybe someday they will do a 1.8tfsi VRS fabia, now that would be fun!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lozb said:

Thanks for the advice, I decided not to purchase the VRS in the end, too worried about various issues with the engine and box.

Maybe someday they will do a 1.8tfsi VRS fabia, now that would be fun!

Or the 2.0tfsi that the upcoming Polo GTi is getting...

Sadly, Skoda seems to have called it a day in the compact and nippy market. How much of that is down to VAG internal politics I don't know. 

• Like 1

Well, it's a while since I last posted but today I picked my Furby up after having its engine replaced-ish. It's had what's often refered to as a short unit, I'm not sure what to make of it really. If the consumption has been sorted then great but I'm slightly concerned over the longevity of the the bits that have been unbolted from the old engine onto the new one.

The question is, should I be concerned or will it be fine? When I took it in and the work due to be carried out explained I had decided it was time for the car to go but the difficulty finding a replacement and the joy of being back in it today make want to keep it.

So, opinions please, what would you do?

?

Who did a 'Short Unit' just the Block and not a Base Engine, Block & Head?  

Has this been done under some Warranty?

So what parts are replaced, is it new consumables, 

so not just, oil, filter, plugs, coolant but maybe 2 belts?  

EDIT, 

Read your post , 24 month Approved, so was this a Skoda Warranty?

& read your May post, Rainsworth & Breathers & Squirters.

So you must have a Base Engine as supplied by VW.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

10 minutes ago, GenePoolReject said:

Well, it's a while since I last posted but today I picked my Furby up after having its engine replaced-ish. It's had what's often refered to as a short unit, I'm not sure what to make of it really. If the consumption has been sorted then great but I'm slightly concerned over the longevity of the the bits that have been unbolted from the old engine onto the new one.

The question is, should I be concerned or will it be fine? When I took it in and the work due to be carried out explained I had decided it was time for the car to go but the difficulty finding a replacement and the joy of being back in it today make want to keep it.

So, opinions please, what would you do?

keep it if it blows up it blows up thats what ive told myself now

9 minutes ago, thomasaspin said:

keep it if it blows up it blows up thats what ive told myself now

All well and good until it does and then it's either a huge repair bill or find a replacement whilst off loading a non functioning car, the kind of situation I would like to avoid. I am well aware I could swap the car and still end up in something unreliable.

1 minute ago, GenePoolReject said:

All well and good until it does and then it's either a huge repair bill or find a replacement whilst off loading a non functioning car, the kind of situation I would like to avoid. I am well aware I could swap the car and still end up in something unreliable.

buy warranty on it every year if your scared of it breaking

GenePoolReject,

Could you please post it in the Engines replaced thread i will bump it.

there are some having to fight with Skoda UK at the moment & it is good if the Solicitors, Motoring Journalists or SKODA / VW staff that say the problem is overblown see the numbers easily, because they seem to be deaf, dumb and blind with no ability to count.

22 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

GenePoolReject,

Could you please post it in the Engines replaced thread i will bump it.

there are some having to fight with Skoda UK at the moment & it is good if the Solicitors, Motoring Journalists or SKODA / VW staff that say the problem is overblown see the numbers easily, because they seem to be deaf, dumb and blind with no ability to count.

done

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have a 62 plate (November) that has always been castrol thirsty but never a heavy drinker.... until may (19k driven hard miles). Dealer did a consumption test which came out at 700ml which they agreed was excessive so did the breather & spray bar mod. It’s out of warranty in a month & after reading all the bad stuff I think it’s a band aid rather than a fix. For the consumption test afterwards, I made sure it had used at least 100ml. Their reply- “borderline, let’s do the test again”. This time I made sure it was at least 110ml & now they’ve said it’s fine. I have a CHTE (or is it CTHE? definitely not a CAVE though) engine. Should I be concerned or happy? I’m worried that it won’t last. I’ve taken legal advice which suggests the fault was from build, but if I demand a repair will they do a rebuild or give me a new one? I love this car, but can’t afford this repair once the warranty expires. Any thoughts??

cheers

Rhys

Welcome.

Get what they say is Borderline in writing. 

0.5 litres in 1,000 km (621 miles) is not acceptable, and neither is 0.3 litres in 1,000km.

Have you got the Oil Consumption report showing the weight of oil in and used during the test.  If not get it.

You started the action while in Warranty and it is not yet resolved, so not 'End of Case'.

then you can buy a Skoda Warranty, maybe about £275 for 12 months,  but first you maybe need a New Engine, 

so best get the 'Test Results'. 

1 litre Engine oil, 857 gram, so see the Oil in and then weight, and oil out weight, and the calculations.

Extended Warranty from ŠKODA Insurance – putting ŠKODA into your insurance..mhtml

How many miles has your car done, surely not just 19,000 in five years?  If you have done less than 4,000 miles per year, it may be that most of your usage has been short journeys which don't allow the engine to get up to normal operating temperature and is when your engine will suffer most. Added to this, thrashing

any cold engine (driven hard miles) is not going to result in a long life.

Incidentally, there is no such thing as "marginal", it is either inside or outside spec. - ½ litre in 1,000 Km

May use 0.5 litres in 1,000 km is not 'the spec' though, 'May be as much as'   ('Can be as much as after running in' *Renault*)

which is why others had engines replaced when they used 0.3 litres in 1,000 km.

A figure published for, 3,4,5,6,8,12 cylinder petrol or diesel engines from 44kw up and for years now.

As to the test that had the vehicle do what ever distance the test was, which seldom was 621 miles or 1,242 miles.

So the test not really fit for purpose.  One where the testing results were very questionable especially where dealerships employees seemed to have difficulty carrying out accurate tests, or even doing basic maths.

So as to marginal, there is such a thing, and also VW Group have done plenty warrant replacement of twincharger engines in the UK & Rest of World 

regardless of 'May use 0.5 litres in 1,000km and the oil used being less than that.

Are UK conditions, weather roads, NSL's what might have engines using oil. Or is it manufacturing failings.

Engines that over 1/3 of in the UK have had Warranty work carried out on, in the first 1,800.

Breather Mods, Software Updates, rebuilds, replaced engines, failed replaced engines, 

and then the 'Updated Engines' still failing, and not just Oil use, Water Pump premature failure, but now timing chains.

oil.png

2dAokHdE.jpg

w960_1625-245.png

Now at 21k miles, but yes, not many miles. It has always been driven hard, but not from cold.

Got the results today- no official print outs or anything like that. Some results scribbled on a notepad! Not very professional!

Been told those get added to the job card (which is still open) & will be formally added once the whole process is complete & Skoda UK will be invoiced.

I asked what happens now as I still have concerns- if the mod has stopped the consumption, all well & good, but surely oil burning in the combustion chamber has caused damage to the valves & turbo (if not more parts)? After all, it should only be petrol & air in that mix?!

The official test should have test results and weights and measures.

Something like this, but without the obvious error.  This member had a new engine fitted once Skoda reviewed the errors that were shown by this invoice and correct testing carried out.

455a4eee-ff43-4186-9c92-b94363e633a0_zps11333bb7 (2).jpg

• 4 weeks later...

How much oil is there between top and bottom of hatched area on dipstick... I’ve had to stick half a litre in a couple of times in the last few months. Will check mileage on this next 1/2 litre. It’s a 2013 CTHE and brought it with a 5 yr from new manufacturer warrantee on so just checking if it’s worth getting it in to skoda.. they have said at last service that if I’m concerned to bring it in but I’ll have to pay if it’s not using more than manufacturer recommendation 

Top of the Crosshatch to the bottom orange ball still with oil on it when oil / engine cold is over about 1.5 litres.

As to crosshatch bottom to top best check yourself and then you will know the answer because it is not 1 litre on the 3.6 litre capacity engine.

About .75 litres maybe.

• 1 month later...

Silly. Do no harm, and do no good. IMO.

the 40 bit of 5W 40 Full Synthetic is good for your Twincharger, only 3.6 litres of oil, hot engine, lovely VW502 00 does a good job.

Heats up and cools down quick enough.

0w -30, 5w 30 maybe give a miss, 

you are in the UK are you not, and it is winter.