vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

I’ve only ever used OEM recommended oil from new (Castrol Edge I think). Pricey, but never had any problems- apart from it being burnt off!!

Consumption update;

Had final testing beginning of November & was using more than spec. Engine replacement at Skoda UK expense & all seems well so far. In truth, the oil spray bar mod seemed to have calmed the problem dramatically, but by then I had convinced myself the defect had been there from new & wanted the engine replaced. 10 days before the end of 5 year warranty!

• Confused 1

^^^

You had the main problem, the biggy,  top prize,

your engine needed replaced and yet you used 'The Recommended Long Life Oil'. Castrol 5w 30 FS LL.

You got a Short Life Engine with using long Life Oil..

No it uses more petrol only because your car is not off the road waiting for a new engine because you used the 'Recommended long life oil'.

Seriously, i am suggesting you use 5w 40 FS VW 502 00 because it works, the Oil temp shows a couple of degrees lower and it uses no more petrol.

No point going 0w 30 or sticking to 5w 30 unless you want to, maybe stay variable length servicing etc, then just do it. Time will tell.

Some engines are giving better economy on 0w 5 instead of 5w 30,  manufacturers change to it sometimes.

Toyota changed back in 2011/12 when i had an Iq.   They were not performing good efficiency MPG wise, but then those engines were not made of Chocolate, 

the engines had changed though from Euro 4 to 5, and customers were complaining about poor economy.

1.0 VVT 3 Cylinder engines.

Edited by AwaoffSki

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2017 at 17:55, AwaoffSki said:

Welcome.

Get what they say is Borderline in writing. 

0.5 litres in 1,000 km (621 miles) is not acceptable, and neither is 0.3 litres in 1,000km.

Have you got the Oil Consumption report showing the weight of oil in and used during the test.  If not get it.

You started the action while in Warranty and it is not yet resolved, so not 'End of Case'.

On 10/20/2017 at 23:23, AwaoffSki said:

The official test should have test results and weights and measures.

Something like this, but without the obvious error.  This member had a new engine fitted once Skoda reviewed the errors that were shown by this invoice and correct testing carried out.

455a4eee-ff43-4186-9c92-b94363e633a0_zps11333bb7 (2).jpg

then you can buy a Skoda Warranty, maybe about £275 for 12 months,  but first you maybe need a New Engine, 

so best get the 'Test Results'. 

1 litre Engine oil, 857 gram, so see the Oil in and then weight, and oil out weight, and the calculations.

Extended Warranty from ŠKODA Insurance – putting ŠKODA into your insurance..mhtml

Hi and thanks for your many helpful posts on this topic Awaoffski .

I have had a consumption test done on mine that say is 'normal' but obviously not in the real world.

Can you tell me where the error appears in the above invoice?  They have not given me any written documentation about the test and say I would have to pay for this paperwork (dealership policy - queried with Skoda UK who couldn't do anything).  

Maybe if I pay for the paperwork it would be worthwhile if it reveals another error as above?

Thanks for any help you may give :)

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/444674-oil-consumption/?page=2 

No need to pay for the paperwork.  If someone does an Oil Consumption test they need to do a report and show the result.

Error.

1 litre of engine oil does not weigh 1,000 grams, not at 0*oC or even at 90*oC.

It weighs 857 grams.  so if the Technician fits a New Oil filter and 3.6 litres or even 3.9 litres of oil, runs it to operating temp, 

drains or sucks out the oil and weighs it it is not 3,600 Grams. or something odd has happened.

Same when after 300 km,. or 1,000 km,  Engine Oil does not weigh 1,000 grams a litre.

No DATA Protection on a Test Result.

If the technician did the job no need to be shy, unless their maths is suspect, or they never followed the test procedures.

This was the old system. 

Better than the rubbish Skoda went over too.

Even putting in the correct oil, sealing the Filler & the Dipstick and driving for 2 tank full of petrol or untill the Low Oil / Oil Pressure Warning comes on, recovering the car, then dropping and checking the oil is a better set up.

Any Dealership saying 'No issues' can surely allow that.,...

post-86161-0-54740300-1365682049.jpg

post-86161-0-49942900-1365682152.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice.

I agree there should be no need to pay but they've flatly refused without payment!  Maybe its because I got the oil consumption test done free under extended warranty they feel the need to get some cash out of me?

I will see what they come back with as a potential next step but I thank you again for your final suggestion....

The Warranty Underwriter pays them.   They are not doing anything for free.  Warranty is an Insurance Policy.

So since you have an Extended Warranty ask them for the Copy or the report that shows there is no Excessive Oil use.

Ask the Dealer Principal in Writing for the Official Oil Consumption Report.

OK I will do exactly that.  I get the impression from reading the many comments on this topic that I'm going to struggle to get anything done.  

I can't find anyone mentioning a successful outcome from this shoddy hush hush job from Skoda.  

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced 

100's have had new engines, more than 20% of CAVE engines were replaced in the UK and there were 1,800 First Registered in the UK.

Some replacement engines were replaced. 

There was Rebuilds in 2011, then Short Engines, then the Breather Mods, Software Updates, Breather Mod 2 in Australia, 

New Oil Spray Jets and a Software Update, and even CTHE engines replaced. Several early CTHE, one member had a CAVE that needed a new engine, then got a new CTHE that did as well.

Skoda knows all that, no matter if Call Handlers are seemingly all new, never heard such a thing,

& VW, Audi & SEAT know, they has the same failures. Same engines.

So you have a Warranty.  So do not let them take the Pith.  an Official Oil Consumption Test needs doing as per the TPI.

Edited by AwaoffSki

I had my engine replaced in November (2 weeks before the extended warranty ran out) & had only done 18k. I started getting issues in March & Skoda tried to string me along for ages. I had the spray bar mod done which improved it, but I wasn’t taking the chance & “made sure” it failed the consumption test, which they made me do 3 times. Make sure you “lose” at least 300ml & they will have to agree it’s burning oil. I went directly to Skoda UK, quoted my warranty number, told them they had knowingly sold me a car which was not fit for purpose & that they would be in breach of my warranty contract- I had full Skoda history & only ever had any work done at that dealership.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent tips - thanks guys!

(BTW I'm not getting e-mails informing of these replies - am i doing something wrong?)

In my case I didn't buy the car directly from SKODA dealership.  It was from another dealer.  The car has 1 previous owner who'd bought an extended warranty which transferred to me!  Full Skoda service history obviously.

I don't know much about the 'spray bar mod' - maybe thats something I could suggest they do.

Do you mean the Oil Spray Jets (Squirters).   

No need for you to suggest anything, the Qualified Technicians or Warranty Manager need to review the engines condition, have the Oil Consumption Test Results, 

have had a borescope down the plug holes etc and look at what is required.

If the is trying Breather Mod, new Squirters, Software Update then they need to do that, and if a replacement engine then that is what it needs to get.

I bumped the Oil Spray Jets (squirters) thread for you.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 2

On 29/03/2018 at 22:35, Paul5000 said:

OK I will do exactly that.  I get the impression from reading the many comments on this topic that I'm going to struggle to get anything done.  

I can't find anyone mentioning a successful outcome from this shoddy hush hush job from Skoda.  

In terms of successful outcomes, we got an engine replaced at 26,000 miles under warranty just 3 months into ownership, Many others have had similar success. From my reading of the few posts on this page you have a Skoda Extended Warranty so are not in the worst possible scenario just yet.

Have you raised a case with Skoda UK or is everything at dealership level right now? Apologies if I've missed this.

Push hard on the oil consumption test results not being acceptable, argue your case that in your time of ownership the figures were much worse over general driving than those produced by the test, which most likely the dealer will have got wrong in terms of calculation ie wrong weight for oil at the outset.

It will be a battle there's no point disguising it otherwise. But if the engine fails are you willing to pay the £4k or so to replace? It's a battle worth having to have the car the way it should have been leaving the factory.

Ours has done 40,000 miles on new engine and hasn't used a drop of oil which is brilliant.

The dsg however, well that's another story...

• Like 2

Hi Sittingbull and thanks for your input. The current situation is:

I have raised a case with SKODA UK at the outset of all this.  The consumption test has come back as normal which I've said is ridiculous and reported back to Skoda UK.   Skoda UK have now passed me on to a 'Case Manager' and I'm currently waiting for Skoda UK to liase with the dealership to see if they can suggest anything else for me.  I'm expecting another consumption test to see if the results duplicate but will have to see what they come back with next week.

The dealership have refused to give me any paperwork pertaining to the oil consumption test without me paying some kind of diagnostic fee' which also seems ridiculous.  Awaoffski has sensibly advised I should demand this in writing from the dealership which I will do.

I do really like the car other than this issue so ideally a new engine or at least looking at it to assess any damage is what I would like.

As for paying the 4k to replace - no chance.  I'd probably keep for another year or so before part-exchanging in if all this fails...

• Like 2

If a Dealership carries out a test.

Why would they not say?

How they did it.

What the results were.

What the tolerances are.            Are they trying to hide something?

Especially if they say within tolerances, because they are not 0.5 litres of oil used in 1,000 km / 621 miles.

If they were then the test should last at least 1,000 km, or even 2,000 km. because putting 1 litre of oil in every time you have used 3 or 4 tanks of fuel is excessive oil use.

So the Warranty Provider has to reveal the test results if they are saying "Oil Use Within Tolerances'' & they are going to take no actions.

They paid for the test and the person with the Warranty Policy is their customer.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 2

PS

Remember and tell SKODA UK & the Dealer Principal about Data Protection.  Your Data Protection rights.

If they hold on their computers any information about you they need to tell you and show it if you ask.

Your Name, Address, contact numbers, car registration, VIN number etc is on the Worksheet and Invoice and Test results.

So just ask formally for what information they have on computer on 'You' and Your vehicle.  

Skoda Secret Service need to get with the times.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Paul5000 said:

Hi Sittingbull and thanks for your input. The current situation is:

I have raised a case with SKODA UK at the outset of all this.  The consumption test has come back as normal which I've said is ridiculous and reported back to Skoda UK.   Skoda UK have now passed me on to a 'Case Manager' and I'm currently waiting for Skoda UK to liase with the dealership to see if they can suggest anything else for me.  I'm expecting another consumption test to see if the results duplicate but will have to see what they come back with next week.

The dealership have refused to give me any paperwork pertaining to the oil consumption test without me paying some kind of diagnostic fee' which also seems ridiculous.  Awaoffski has sensibly advised I should demand this in writing from the dealership which I will do.

I do really like the car other than this issue so ideally a new engine or at least looking at it to assess any damage is what I would like.

As for paying the 4k to replace - no chance.  I'd probably keep for another year or so before part-exchanging in if all this fails...

Paul5000, can I ask out of interest what the real time oil usage is for you using it on a week to week month to month basis over a period of time doing normal everyday driving? From memory ours was using something like a litre of oil every 600 or so miles, we had an oil consumption test done and the then service manager suggested it was within tolerances as per the owners handbook. Once it was pointed out the figures provided within the handbook were generic to the whole range of mk2 Fabia and not specific to the twincharger 1.4tsi 132kw engine his attitude changed somewhat.

At the time we didn't get sight of the test data, but were told what the usage was. Between the dealer and SUK they decided to go straight for a replacement engine. As it happens, Parks also got the weights wrong at the time I can remember that because the service manager explained the process to me, and managed to get the weights wrong in doing so. Regardless of their ineptitude (which we are currently paying for with the transmission) we did get the outcome we wanted.

In terms of SUK, keep the Case manager on a tight lash so to speak. At the end of the day you're a relatively new owner who's bought a car protected by their warranty cover, and want it to be fit for purpose and certainly free from any known issues that may well kill your car and ownership stone dead. If the dealership are liaising with SUK due to the presence of case number and warranty cover, ask Skoda UK to step in and get the test date to you, it's your problem they're analysing and your car they're working on, and it directly affects whether or not you will be willing to keep the car long term or not.

And Awaoffski is spot on, use whatever pieces of legislation are available to you in order to beat them over the head including Consumer Rights Act 2015 and Trading Standards if need be. 

• Like 2

And the handbook is 'may use 0.5 litres in 1,000km'   not 1 lite in 1,000km (621 miles) as many in dealerships seem to get wrong.

The acceptable usage is not '0.5 litre in 1,000km'    *Not with tolerances!*

Because a Mk2 vRS can not be fitted with a tow bar, and you are not towing over Alpine Mountain Passes in High Summer, 

or such.

Just driving in the UK driving for Social, Domestic / Pleasure, commuting etc in temps no lower than -15*c and no higher than 32*oC 

using UK Pump Fuels. 

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 2

Sittingbull - Before they did the O.C test they topped oil up to the perfect level and got me to drive normally and see when the oil light came back on.  The light came back on after 630 miles!  I think the oil tank holds 3.6 litres?   They agreed that this seemed high and hence agreed to the O.C test.  So as I've pointed out the 2 results are not even close.  

The fact that in your case they went straight for engine replacement was a good result for you.  My 'case manager' has already stated that a previous customer with a similar problem got no positive result from all this but said that they will 'do their best for me'.

I've already stated to them that I'm not an idiot and that I know there are plenty of other cases of this fault out there (on this fine forum no less!) and that they are risking my future potential custom as a Skoda purchaser.  Our 'dance' will continue after the Easter break....

Whether there are other avenues of compensation such as a Skoda enhanced trade in value of the problem car I doubt so it looks like repair, modification or replacement will be my targets.

• Like 2

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/353149-fabia-mk2-vrs-14tsi-replacement-engines-replaced-how-many 

Rod McLeod the head of Skoda UK who has just taken over in February has been with VW since 1996, 

so he can go check how many Replacement engines have gone into under 3,000 Mk2 Fabia vRS 1.4 TSI's since 2010 in just the UK, 

VW Group imported them, they know the actual failure rate,

and how many were rebuilt before they started replacing them.

Then how many also in the  2009-2015 Polo GTI, Ibiza & A1 185ps. 

The 'Case Manager' is being a plonker and needs to get some Technical Training.  after this is over name them please.

It is the sump that the dip stick goes into.   Official oil capacity according to VW Group is 3.6 litres. 

(I learned to put in 3.9 litres in 1.4 TSI Twinchargers, as many VW Tecks did / do,  some muppets even put in 4.2 litres, because they 'Know best', Never tell them they are wrong. THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS......

How did they know the perfect level unless they dropped the oil, made sure no oil, new filter then 3.6 litres added.

They never knew the perfect level with the Dipstick.

You get much the same reading at 'operating temperature' with 3.6 litres or 4 litres in.   Different stone cold checking 3.6 litres or 4 litres.

The light might only come on at 1.3 litres low on 3.6 litres.

Sometime the Low Oil Pressure light comes on before the Low Oil warning.

Some are 1.5 litres low and no Oil warning light. Open the Bonnet for more than 30 seconds and the lights go out, for around 60 milles sometimes

Edited by AwaoffSki

11 hours ago, Paul5000 said:

Sittingbull - Before they did the O.C test they topped oil up to the perfect level and got me to drive normally and see when the oil light came back on.  The light came back on after 630 miles!  I think the oil tank holds 3.6 litres?   They agreed that this seemed high and hence agreed to the O.C test.  So as I've pointed out the 2 results are not even close.  

The fact that in your case they went straight for engine replacement was a good result for you.  My 'case manager' has already stated that a previous customer with a similar problem got no positive result from all this but said that they will 'do their best for me'.

I've already stated to them that I'm not an idiot and that I know there are plenty of other cases of this fault out there (on this fine forum no less!) and that they are risking my future potential custom as a Skoda purchaser.  Our 'dance' will continue after the Easter break....

Whether there are other avenues of compensation such as a Skoda enhanced trade in value of the problem car I doubt so it looks like repair, modification or replacement will be my targets.

Your consumption levels in real world every day use almost mirrors where we were prior to the engine change, possibly even slightly worse. I think we were a litre every 600 odd miles, you might be 1.2 litres per 600 miles or so as I think it's just over 1 .2 litres from orange ball marker on dipstick to light coming on. There's no consistency between the 2 tests, maybe a reason why they've been reluctant to share the test results with you.

Your case manager is going down the classic straightest of straight bat lines with you, thankfully you've stuck to your guns and let them know you're not going away. You do have the extended warranty so hopefully that comes into play sooner rather than later, this is an issue that is known to them given the number of cars that have been worked on whether breather mods, squirter jets or indeed engine changes. Some with engine changes went on to have another engine change. When you are "dancing" with them, be sure to lead and trod on their toes occasionally.

If the case manager eventually says there's nothing they can do, ask for the case to be escalated to Executive Office level ie make Rod McLeod aware so that he puts one of his team onto it. Hang in there, because one with the engine the way it should be is very much worth the wait.

Good luck and keep us all posted.

For information, ours was changed under warranty in September 2014 at 26,000 miles, with courtesy cars and all tests covered by Skoda UK. I can give our case number privately should you need to refer to it. We never had a Non Disclosure Agreement so I'm doing nothing wrong.

• Like 2