vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

I have a 2011  VRS estate brought from new. Have added oil regularly from new it has been fully serviced and done 25k by now.

Over the last few months I have monitored oil consumption.

In 1937 miles I have added 2lts of oil an average of 1.03 per 1k.

Could you please advise me on how I should proceed given that the car is out of manufacturers warranty.

Thanks

Dolgoch

Skoda Oil Consumption.xls

Has it had anything done since you bought it other than Services?

Did it get Software Updates if Serviced at a Skoda Dealer, and did it use any oil that had you getting a Breather Valve / Pipe Modification?

You will need to speak with Skoda UK Customer Services even though you have no Manufacturers Warranty,

but that might get you no place, but worth speaking with a Customer Services Manager @ Milton Keynes since you have had it since new.

Maybe the 'Oil Spray Jet' Update will be worth doing but you might be paying it all yourself.

Try for some goodwill from Skoda but that is asking a lot if you have not raised the issue before now.

Good luck with it.

• Like 1

The consensus seems to be that they have a smaller nozzle, and therefore less oil is squirted. The obvious question is why did VAG go from the smaller to the larger in the first place, and I can only assume it was to help with cooling. I notice mine runs a couple of degrees warmer now than before in comparable situations. Like a lot of "fixes" with these probably under-engineered motors, you do something that improves one aspect at the expense of another.

• Like 1

The consensus seems to be that they have a smaller nozzle, and therefore less oil is squirted. The obvious question is why did VAG go from the smaller to the larger in the first place, and I can only assume it was to help with cooling. I notice mine runs a couple of degrees warmer now than before in comparable situations. Like a lot of "fixes" with these probably under-engineered motors, you do something that improves one aspect at the expense of another.

Thank you :-)

I think that the 'Replacement' Oil Spray Jets (Squirters) make no difference without the 'Software Update', so Engine Management re management.

Like Morecambe and Wise or Fish and Chips, they go together.

• Like 1

I think that the 'Replacement' Oil Spray Jets (Squirters) make no difference without the 'Software Update', so Engine Management re management.

Like Morecambe and Wise or Fish and Chips, they go together.

Correct. And it does make a difference. Didnt drop for me in a 1000 miles however i have since had a service with free oil, new filters and some forte oil additive to run through the system. Plus i have fitted some decent DENSO spark plugs which have made a noticeable improvement.

• Like 1

Correct. And it does make a difference. Didnt drop for me in a 1000 miles however i have since had a service with free oil, new filters and some forte oil additive to run through the system. Plus i have fitted some decent DENSO spark plugs which have made a noticeable improvement.

Did whoever fitted the Oil Spray Jets not update the software at the same time then? Sounds incredibly incompetent, I do hope they didn't do the subsequent service :no:

Does anyone know the software version the update is after oil jet replacement and how I can find out please? I'm guessing I would have to ask the dealer and take their word for it that they actually did it at the time or is it on the vehicle log with Skoda that they or any dealer could tell me?

Ask Skoda UK Customer Services in writing and ask for a reply in writing as to what was done under Warranty when they paid the Dealership 

to fit the new Oil Spray Jets, and if this was to include applying the latest Software Update.

(You got that already from the Dealership did you not ?, so just ask them, and be sure next time the car is Serviced by them that they are checking if there is a Software Update and it is applied.)

Ask Skoda UK Customer Services in writing and ask for a reply in writing as to what was done under Warranty when they paid the Dealership 

to fit the new Oil Spray Jets, and if this was to include applying the latest Software Update.

(You got that already from the Dealership did you not ?, so just ask them, and be sure next time the car is Serviced by them that they are checking if there is a Software Update and it is applied.)

On my paperwork it shows the parts fitted as you know, but there is nothing on there stating a software update was done. As you know, me and my local don't really get along so I wondered if it would show up on the Skoda CS system which version I'm on? Do you know if the software update mandatory or optional with the oil jet job please? I'm a little concerned if it hasn't been done I'm running some sort of risk now.

I know that a Software Update if available should be done.

What i have never understood is why your engine which was a replacement CTHE for a early CTHE needed a Breather Update and Software Update, then got Replacement Oil Spray Jets fitted to the Replacement Engine.

(Skoda were telling Early CTHE owners that there were no Software Updates while some cars were getting them done.)

If your Replacement Engine that now has Replaced Oil Spray Jets is still using too much oil, 

it is time Skoda UK  got you a new Engine which has the Latest Spray Jets, and ECU fitted to your car.

If your Replacement Engine that now has Replaced Oil Spray Jets is still using too much oil, 

Oil use is fine at the moment since having the work done, just rang alarm bells reading above about software updates and concerned mine might not have the software to match the work that was done, probably worrying over nothing!

EDIT: If my dealer had actually bothered to look into the work before carrying it out, they may have realised that mine didn't need the breather part doing, we'll never know now though

Edited by MilgeS

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on mine since I had the oil jets and software update done in Nov 15.  I've covered 2540 miles since then and had to put in just over a litre of oil yesterday, using much less than before but still using it.  My PCP is up in August so I think I'll be getting rid of it now, our other Skoda Fabia is about 10 years old now so the Mrs wants to upgrade that so looks like buying 2 cars this year :)

• Like 3

Just an update on mine since I had the oil jets and software update done in Nov 15.  I've covered 2540 miles since then and had to put in just over a litre of oil yesterday, using much less than before but still using it.  My PCP is up in August so I think I'll be getting rid of it now, our other Skoda Fabia is about 10 years old now so the Mrs wants to upgrade that so looks like buying 2 cars this year :)

I wonder whether some damage has already been done to the cylinder bores that cannot be reversed by changing the oil jets or whether an oil consumption figure of ¼ litre per 1,000 kilometres is deemed normal for this particular engine?

Still, good to hear that the work has helped :)

Hi,

I am new to the forum but having read a little of this thread see that there is a lot of good knowledge and experience here!

I have previously owned a 1.9tdi VRS and loved it.  So much that I am looking to purchase a MkII VRS in the next week or so.  I have read about the oil issues and it does cause me some concern.

The vehicle I am looking at was registered Sept 2014 and has full manufacturer warranty having covered just over 12k miles.  My question is a simple one.  As it is one of the later registered models will it have had the modification fitted already??  If not is it worth me having it done as soon as I buy the vehicle?

Any advice would be appreciated

Chris 

Being the last built CTHE engines it should be fine.

It will not have the Oil Spray Jets that are being fitted as 'a fix', but then it should not need them.

You have a Manufacturers Warranty until September 2017 at least if the first owner never extended it to 5 years,

and then you can by a Skoda Extended Warranty when the Original Expires.

• Like 2

Being the last built CTHE engines it should be fine.

It will not have the Oil Spray Jets that are being fitted as 'a fix', but then it should not need them.

You have a Manufacturers Warranty until September 2017 at least if the first owner never extended it to 5 years,

and then you can by a Skoda Extended Warranty when the Original Expires.

As mentioned above you should be fine so don't let it put you off as their great cars (even though i have the Polo equivalent).

My advice is just to monitor it regularly and raise it as an issue you as soon as you you notice any serious drops. 

• Like 1

Car went in for oil consumption test today, & then shortly after I got a telephone call from the dealer to say the test had to be aborted because of  "modifications to the car". The modifications in question are replacement stainless steel exhaust system with resonator box removed & an ITG Maxogen air induction kit. I was told (in no uncertain terms) by Simpsons of Preston that unless I could present the car in a standard unmodified state they would not be able to continue with the test.

Obviously I can bolt the standard air filter back on, but the exhaust system poses a problem - I no longer have the standard exhaust. I can't imagine that either of the mods could possibly have any bearing on oil consumption, but Simpson's were resolute with their decision.

So what can I do chaps? Is their decision based on SUK policy or are they just being picky?

Any suggestions?

This will be the same people that had an issue previously i take it on not wanting to look at a problem that had nothing to do with looking at the car because of the Exhaust or the Spark Plugs fitted.

Maybe they are right as far as the Manufacturers Warranty and Skoda UK who your agreement and their T&C's are with.

So ask Skoda UK, they pay the bills on the Manufacturers Warranty work..

They have before on engines in cars with Aftermarket Exhausts and Air Intake Systems, 

but then maybe they never knew.

As to the Oil Consumption issue, 

they pretty much do know the Cylinder Wear, Piston Ring issues, the Engine Management, Oil Spray Jets issue etc.

But they are the Bill Payers.

You maybe need to play their game to their rules.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

• 1 month later...

My car (vRS CAVE Engine) is using 1 litre of oil every 400 miles...   I tried emailing alisdair.stewart@skoda.co.uk but got an invalid email address.........   My car has only done 27K..

Not sure what to do..   :-(

I'm sure he has left. Have you phoned Skoda customer services to get your case logged? Any form of warranty on the car?

1L every 400 miles is grim - hope you can get this rectified - sounds like a new engine job.