Rattle and vibration problems in my new fabia

Hi,

New to this forum and hope someone can advise. I bought a new Skoda Fabia (14) in January. I have only ever owned fabias, this is my third. Have always been a big fan but I am beginning to hate this new one. There has been a problem with ratlling / vibratiions around the dashboard from the very early days of driving it. The problem is the noise seems to move around - initially thought it was the windows, then the air vents. It's as if nothing fits properly. Have had it back into dealer twice who say they cannot hear the problem. Recently I am sure the noise is coming from somewhere around the windscreen wipers mechanism as the noise on central area of dashboard. This rattle in particular is pretty much constant. I am fed up applying Blu Tak to different parts of the dashboard. It is a brand new car!!! Driving me to distraction. Just wondered if anyone has had similar experience?

Thanks

Edited by JenGlasgow

Hi,

New to this forum and hope someone can advise. I bought a new Skoda Fabia (14) in January. I have only ever owned fabias, this is my third. Have always been a big fan but I am beginning to hate this new one. There has been a problem with ratlling / vibratiions around the dashboard from the very early days of driving it. The problem is the noise seems to move around - initially thought it was the windows, then the air vents. It's as if nothing fits properly. Have had it back into dealer twice who say they cannot hear the problem. Recently I am sure the noise is coming from somewhere around the windscreen wipers mechanism as the noise on central area of dashboard. This rattle in particular is pretty much constant. I am fed up applying Blu Tak to different parts of the dashboard. It is a brand new car!!! Driving me to distraction. Just wondered if anyone has had similar experience?

Thanks

I had a nightmare with the plastics around the instrument cluster. I removed and applied fabric tape to where it was plastic on plastic and now the noise has gone :). My glovebox does rattle but like R1chard said not really noticeable.
  • Like 1

I had a nightmare with the plastics around the instrument cluster. I removed and applied fabric tape to where it was plastic on plastic and now the noise has gone :). My glovebox does rattle but like R1chard said not really noticeable.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this noise is really noticable and sadly I am not confident about removing anything to try to apply quick fixes.

The top half of my glovebox rattles ever so slightly but I tend not to notice it now, there's going to be rattles with any car tbh

Thanks Richard. Unfortunately I notice mine all the time.

Welcome to the forum. I have had noticed in Fabias that would drive anyone made. Creaks, rattles and all sorts. Emptied the car, polished the dash and front plastics, tapped and banged and put in wedges. Then at last found something WD40 does well. Open the bonnet and have a spray. Around the bulkhead area and bonnet hinges. Maybe a placebo effect but funnily had worked a few times now on different cars that were near going to get driven over a cliff.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Welcome to the forum. I have had noticed in Fabias that would drive anyone made. Creaks, rattles and all sorts. Emptied the car, polished the dash and front plastics, tapped and banged and put in wedges. Then at last found something WD40 does well. Open the bonnet and have a spray. Around the bulkhead area and bonnet hinges. Maybe a placebo effect but funnily had worked a few times now on different cars that were near going to get driven over a cliff.

I am laughing as I have tried everything that you mention above and have almost been at the point of just getting out of the car, abandoning it, and walking home :)

Sadly I have also tried WD40 but only on and around the wiper mechanisms. Will try other areas now to see if this makes any difference. Surely a new car should not bring so much grief!!

• Like 1

The top Glove Box cover can be a cause and try sticking a duster there and closing the lid and see if there was a squeak from there.

The Door Hinge area and the rubber there can also be an issue, 

and the seal at the top of the door to the roof. 

they all add up a bit to the annoying noises.

Try Tesco Bumper & Tyre Renovator on them, or any rubber treatment.  Simoniz Back to Black Gel is good.

There have been some cars that are found to have a few small cross head screws kicking about inside the dash.

There must have been someone working on the Production Line that was careless when fitting what ever.

• Like 1

The glass (plastic?) over the dials can be loose - I've got a small bit of fabric wedged between that and the plastic surround to stop that particular rattle.

Thanks so much for your advice. I just keep thinking that this should not be happening with a brand new car. Never experienced such problems with previous two fabias.

The top Glove Box cover can be a cause and try sticking a duster there and closing the lid and see if there was a squeak from there.

Try Tesco Bumper & Tyre Renovator on them, or any rubber treatment.  Simoniz Back to Black Gel is good.

There have been some cars that are found to have a few small cross head screws kicking about inside the dash.

There must have been someone working on the Production Line that was careless when fitting what ever.

I wish I could meet that someone working on the production line! Their carelessness is driving me over the edge! :) Thanks for your tips.

• Like 2

Or just talk with the Dealer Principal and ask for the Perk Car he / she Drives that Skoda UK probably own while you borrow 

that under 3 month old demonstrator.

They can drive yours for a day or 2, see what the issue is and correct it before you reject the car.

To be sure that you can, contract Skoda UK Customer Services on Monday, Raise a case for a Warranty Check on the car,

and have them arrange a Courtesy car while yours is correctly checked.

• Like 1

Something else that can be checked when they are giving your car an all over check to resolve all issues until 

it is perfect and they would let Alasdair Stewart drive it.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/358047-drivers-door-creak

Be sure to let the boss of the Skoda UK Brand know how the Skoda Dealer sorted things properly,

After Sales Care must be something he is proud of under his leadership,

and he can report how well they do to his bosses at the Volkswagen Group.

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/alasdair-stewart/27/a4/b4b

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Took your advice and sprayed more WD40 under the bonnet, and even more on windscreen hinges. Sshhhh! Don't want to tempt fate but that particular noise has been absent for the last few days! Hoorahh! Many thanks.

Tried the Simoniz thing yesterday. Might be speaking too soon but I think it may just have helped with the noise at the windows. Many thanks.

This was definitley worth a read. :thumbup: Mine rattles like hell - though it is 8 years old with 104K on the clock. I just put up with it, the roads are so rough and harsh around here anyway I expect it would rattle regardless! I just turn the stereo up, though might try the tips mentioned above :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would chime in, not posted for a while. 

My 2012 Monte Carlo had a rattle from the centre console, no amount of my messing with stuff seemed to solve it so I got the dealership to look at it under warranty.

Turned out to be a cable under the radio hold rattling on the underside of the centre console. They fitted some sticky pads and the rattle has never been back since. That was at its first service about two years ago.

Thanks

Guy

I get a very quiet rattle or buzzing from around the seatbelt sliding hight adjuster bracket. More noticeable when cold. Can be a bit irritating in your right ear'ole!

If I hold the plastic cover, it goes away but I can't seem to stop it doing it naturally. I did think of putting a small, weak spring in the clip part of the bracket, to try damping the noise but not found a suitable one yet. I say a weak one as I don't want a powerful one springing into the side of my head, mid corner somewhere!

I do get some rattling from what seems like the top left dashboard but I think it emanates (OOH, GET HIM) From the glovebox as it seems worse if I don't pack my bits and bobs in there properly. 

Edited by mrgf

• 9 months later...

Old thread but my Fabia MK 3 glove box rattles;sometimes it drives me crazy.

Just wondered if anyone with a 2016 Mk 3 Fabia is having the same problem?

Old thread but my Fabia MK 3 glove box rattles;sometimes it drives me crazy.

Just wondered if anyone with a 2016 Mk 3 Fabia is having the same problem?

Try the mk3 section mate. 

Should get more of a response from there. 

I've various Rattles (in the dash, the pasenger door etc...) on my 13 plate Greenline Estate! have had since new!! they get worse when warm/hot (roll on the Summer!!) I've started to tune them out! But I've also found VERY LOUD MUSIC helps :D

My Glove box doors on the other hand don't rattle at all!!!!

I have two new rattles, Recently the Passenger head restraint has started rattling at certain revs (usually when at 65mph in 5th gear!) and my Sunglasses in the Sunglasses holder rattle at 50mph(ish) 

Edited by Simoneale1973

• 4 months later...

Hello everybody,

I have recently purchased a skoda fabia mk2, its my first car. I absolutely love it apart from one thing, between 1000 and 1500 rpm I get a very loud rattling sound from the dashboard. does anyone have any ideas about what it could be as it is very annoying.