What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

2 minutes ago, Chunk11 said:

Gyp not sure if it is my phone but none of the photos have loaded 

Might be worth refreshing as it's taken me about 7 attempts to get them to display

12 minutes ago, Gyp said:

Might be worth refreshing as it's taken me about 7 attempts to get them to display

All working now Gyp some great bikes I especially love the exhaust on the triumph and like the ramp you have in your garage.

1 hour ago, Chunk11 said:

Nice looking bikes there I am equally impressed with the summer house is this where the bikes live? A friend of mine had a GS for a couple of years and went everywhere on it he now has an Africa Twin.

No the bikes live in the garage behind that roller shutter door.   Thanks for the compliment about the cabin.  It's one of these... https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/log-cabins    I bought it second hand from Facebook Marketplace.  It was erected in a garden in Edinburgh.  A friend of mine who is very good at this kind of thing, dismantled it.  We then loaded it into the biggest van we could rent and I drove across the Forth Bridge with rather too much of it hanging out of the rear doors which were tied together.  He then reconstructed it in our garden and it now has electricity and a wood burning stove.  Following that I bought another small shed in Dundee which we dismantled and brought home in my trailer.  My good friend attached it to the side of the cabin and fitted it out as a toilet and shower room.  There's still more to do....

IMG_4497.jpeg

IMG_4495.jpeg

Edited by Schtum
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1

9 hours ago, Chunk11 said:

All working now Gyp some great bikes I especially love the exhaust on the triumph and like the ramp you have in your garage.

The ramp would be far more useful if it hadn't had an R65 sat on it for over 5 years!

On 16/03/2021 at 22:02, Schtum said:

No the bikes live in the garage behind that roller shutter door.   Thanks for the compliment about the cabin.  It's one of these... https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/log-cabins    I bought it second hand from Facebook Marketplace.  It was erected in a garden in Edinburgh.  A friend of mine who is very good at this kind of thing, dismantled it.  We then loaded it into the biggest van we could rent and I drove across the Forth Bridge with rather too much of it hanging out of the rear doors which were tied together.  He then reconstructed it in our garden and it now has electricity and a wood burning stove.  Following that I bought another small shed in Dundee which we dismantled and brought home in my trailer.  My good friend attached it to the side of the cabin and fitted it out as a toilet and shower room.  There's still more to do....

IMG_4497.jpeg

IMG_4495.jpeg

Interesting juxtaposition of "Summer house" and "blanket of snow" :)

What keyrings/key protectors are people using?

I've previously had the Yamaha one which covers the other keys so they don’t scratch the paint work.

It appears that Kawasaki don’t do one similar.

I will have 4 keys on my key ring including the motorbike key and don’t want 3 flapping around scratching the tank.

59C163D5-AC14-4718-A1D5-4D024408CCFE.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2021 at 15:34, Chunk11 said:

What keyrings/key protectors are people using?

I've previously had the Yamaha one which covers the other keys so they don’t scratch the paint work.

It appears that Kawasaki don’t do one similar.

I will have 4 keys on my key ring including the motorbike key and don’t want 3 flapping around scratching the tank.

59C163D5-AC14-4718-A1D5-4D024408CCFE.png

It doesn't look like we have key protectors...

Did the Versys not work out? I note that it's still for sale.

5 hours ago, Gyp said:

It doesn't look like we have key protectors...

Did the Versys not work out? I note that it's still for sale.

Don't worry Gyp everything went to plan on Saturday....

Turned up at Preston Motorcycles and was initially taken back by how many motorbikes they had in their showroom rows and rows of  bikes up to 4 deep in places! A very large variety and a lot of high spec expensive bikes. The staff were very friendly and helpful with my bike all ready including all the paperwork with the fresh service and MOT they had done for me.

A couple of bits to sign and happy to let me check the bike over for as long as I wanted and that was it away I went! Just under a 50 mile ride home and considering my last bike was a GSXR 600 the Versys was lovely to ride. Yes it doesn't have a great deal of power but the seating position is great and very comfy and was just a lovely ride home. A good basic no frills bike that you can just ride for hours (again coming from sports bikes after 30 mins I started having back,wrist, leg aches!)

I have ridden it to work for the last two days and put another 65 miles on it so around  110 miles so far. It already has heated grips but I think a better touring screen and some handguards are in order if I am going to keep commuting.

I already feel at home on the bike and don't find the 68bhp a problem it is still more than enough to complete overtakes with ease and as the saying goes you just use all of the power all of the time.

I have joined a Versys 650 group on facebook and whilst I think the bike only needs the couple of additions mentioned above there is always talk of more modifications on the group of booster plugs, rear tail tidy and hugger combo, Crash bars, Navigation bars/Phone mounts....etc so no doubt I will get sucked into all that not that my arm will need much twisting :-)

With the weather being so great yesterday and today I have seen a lot of bikers on my commute which is always good to see so I can give the old head nod to them although not all seem to do it. Have you been out on yours Gyp? What about others hopefully people have managed an extended lockdown trip out to get some **cough **cough** bread and milk?!

Oh and re the bike still being listed for sale I can only assume with the large amount of stock and how busy they are they must have forgotten to take the listing down maybe.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chunk11 said:

Without going onto google Steve what’s the difference? 

(Sorry, couldn't resist - but when I did google it appears to be actually only 34, but a change from 3-valve to 4-valve heads and an extra 10bhp)

The main reasons I changed are Fuel injection and ABS. The 700 is just the more modern version.

And I broke it already... suspect it's plug caps, so not the end of the world, but it had a ride on a recovery truck. 

Edited by StevesTruck
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Been absent for a bit and sadly this part of the forum seems to have gone into hibernation too 😴 

I was bike shopping for a good few months leaning towards a new / ex demo GSX S1000, also a great priced Katana at a Suzuki dealers tempting me (but too far removed from the GSX S1000 in spec tbh. Then randomly picked up a wee 2013 ER-6F bit of a garage find with 845 miles on it and never been MOT'd, but had been in use the last 2 years very occasionally (under weird MOT exemption rules that pre-dated COVID in NI). Hired a van and got up to see it a few weeks ago and took it home, ordered bits n bobs booked the next MOT at my local test centre, 5 months wait, but checked constantly for cancellation slots nationwide and travelled for one within the week it was on the road all. Service stuff didn't arrive until 45 minutes after I got back from MOT and a new exhaust system too so did those bits there and then. Not entirely sure what I've bought it for, other than it was a steal and pretty much a new bike. Be a good long termer / commuting hack / poor weather warrior. Nice enough sound from it with the new exhaust on, fun enough for what it is and by far the least powerful bike I've ever owned, quite surprised at how nippy it is. 

Bits it had:

• R&G crash bungs
  • Yoshi rear bobbins
  • HyperPro progressive rear spring (not fitted the way round I'd have done it, may ditch it tbh)
  • DATA Tag
  • Additional front lowering saddle

Bits I've added:

• Tail tidy
  • New flat aluminium MOT plate
  • Oxford LED sweeping indicators
  • GR Moto titanium exhaust with carbon tip (mid priced but pretty bang tidy quality for price) 
  • Genuine tank knee pads
  • Genuine rim decals (never bothered with them on any of my old bikes, didn't realise until it was too late, but will do as is now)
  • Have 3 flamin screens for it, dark tint DB (too dark on black nose, so ordered the light tint DB and they sent a light tint standard screen... ongoing nightmare
  • General service
  • Bike and chain it's first ever proper clean

When I took it out with new exhaust on CCTV caught the sound a bit, can hear it right at end of clip when I am some distance away on the main road, think baffles will need to stay in lol

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

new slimer, thats why you bought it :D

Not my first Candy Lime Green Kawasaki, won't be the last either. Have an offer in on a house at moment, but just got bumped with a massively higher offer... If I don't get something shortly, I might get something else to join it in the shed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, not today, but I took it out of the shed and went for a ride on it finally. Baffles back in, nearly didn't as neighbour's said it was shaking their walls and didn't want them to think I listened to their nagging.  Mileage as it arrived back home and is still on sat in the shed. 

IMG_20220515_153212-03.jpeg

IMG_20220515_164857-01.jpeg

Edited by FUBAR