Beavo's SE Fabia, AKA 'Beast'

stevobeavo

Any pics of the head they fitted?

As these cracks are in all PD heads I've seen,just varying in the depth they travel up to the injector seat.

So how many cylinders have the cracks gone upto the injector seats?

If none have made it to the seats they will not have caused any issues at all :)

No pictures of the new head but it was a very low mileage one with no cracks at all.

I know it's at common fault on these and as youll know once at crack starts it will keep going. All 4 cylinders had cracks with 1 gone to the injector seat and one not far from breaching it.

Car had a nice gentle run yesterday, 105 laps round brands hatch :) with the brisky squad, great bunch of guys and a great day out even though we had 7/8 red flags and one very poorly looking focus RS!! No one was hurt luckily.

Was raining in the morning up until 11 or so, so was quite slippery but the car just under steered so no real moments, only a fiesta going off in front of me on paddock hill bend making me stand on the brakes lol.

The cheap tyre held up remarkably well, when we had a dry line I could generate quite a bit of grip from it. And after a session the rubber was ridiculously soft haha. Cooked my rear pads again, had them stinking a few times so I'll throw a replacement set on soon.

A couple random photos

30952108086_e33a523c77_o.jpg

30987273565_80a279a742_o.jpg

30870942862_8cce13816c_o.jpg

30870929752_3aba19c12f_o.jpg

30952105696_de1da4f443_o.jpg

Happy I survived the first session lol

30899100971_2b27c2a30c_o.jpg

• Like 2

Ye likewise. Was hoping to go out as pass3nger in yours but wasn't up for it after sitting as passenger and getting thrown about .

Was a good day. Hopefully see you at some more in the future

I made my mates wife feel quite sick lol. Plus one of your mates was really holding me up lol.

I'm hoping to do snetterton or brands again early next year with some mates, more than welcome to join us

I made my mates wife feel quite sick lol. Plus one of your mates was really holding me up lol.

I'm hoping to do snetterton or brands again early next year with some mates, more than welcome to join us

Lol yeah i saw a whole trail behind him while i was watching.

Was thinking oh gosh everyone's gonna think its me. was only few laps so wasn't too bad

Come to Bedford next friday? ;) Myself, Hyphons and Philip with the beige fabia are booked in :D

And I'm hoping too. Will find out tomorrow from work

Lol yeah i saw a whole trail behind him while i was watching.

Was thinking oh gosh everyone's gonna think its me. was only few laps so wasn't too bad

And I'm hoping too. Will find out tomorrow from work

Did you book on? :devil:

We have garages and everything!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

So bit of a update.

After the track day I started getting a tap from the engine again. Took the rocker cover off and was greated by this

20161117_08101320161117_07593620161117_08083820161117_081730

Wear on all the cam lobes

Phoned Ali up and he advised not too drive it, and I'd have to get it recovered back to him so he could investigate the cause of this and of course replace the camshaft under warranty.  After 3 week ofthe car being dumped at work I final arranged it to be recovered to Unit18

IMG_20161206_101700287

Had to remove the front bumper to get it on the truck

IMG_20161206_102323567

Sitting out side Unit18 at the start of December 

IMG_20161206_125433776

Cars actually still up there as it was put on the back burner. Not really sure what caused the cam to go again, oil pressure is fine and oil temperature never went more than 110 degrees. Looking like it could be a bad cast of the cam but I'm getting a new oil pump fitted anyway.

Should be getting the car back hopefully next weekend. Been using there lupo as a courtesy car.

2017-01-26_07-05-43

1.0l automatic, on coilovers....It's the most fun I've ever had in a car. It's very very slow but It will 4 wheel drift on any corner if you carry enough speed. 

Edited by stevobeavo
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Finally picked Beast up this Saturday. It's been fitted with a brand new cam kit, a different make this time. The oil pump and pick up has been replaced, Unit 18 found the pick up to be partly blocked with out sump gasket which coupled with a worn out pump took the top end out. Oil pressure was good when cold but not when warm.

Picked the car up and it sounded so quiet and smooth. Got home and the tapping/ticking had returned!!! Tooked the rocker cover off and took photos of the cam and emailed them over as I phoned up unit 18 and spoke to Ali. He assured me nothing was wrong with cam and oil pressure but was unsure what the noise was. He wants me to phone him next week with a update and will have to go from there. 

Random pictures of unit 18....It's like a adult playground. 

S1 on air ride thats being overhauled and uprated.

IMG_20170211_091241443IMG_20170211_091250681

Unmolested R32 and under the M3 a DB9 in hiding

IMG_20170211_091419857

And a sad sight, Ali's track car being broken for parts, engines already gone :(

IMG_20170211_091314513

Custom made diffuser

IMG_20170211_091451338

Anyway back to my car. Brought it into the workshop to change the air filter. The filter came out nice and easy but going back on the strut brace gets in the way and I was risking tearing the filter to get the air box lid back on.

So a 30 second job turns into a 15 minute job and ends up like this.

IMG_20170214_081006530

New vs old 

IMG_20170214_081011500IMG_20170214_081021458

I also measured up the sliding pins on my Taroxs as I want to replace them when I change the pads. 

And talking of pads, I'm very limited to pad choice, it's either the expensive Tarox or EBC yellow which I currently have. After some research I've discovered the pad shape is the same as a Mercedes G-Wagon!!! So ordered a set of Brembo pads free of charge through work :)

Forgot how big they are :o

IMG_20170215_172305320

I believe I just need to grind this little tab down for them to fit properly

IMG_20170215_172347748

I'm hoping these will give me a lot more bite from normal driving as the yellow stuff arent that great until there's a fair amount of heat in them. 

Also hoping to change the colour of my calipers in the next month the or so too. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got hold of a set of brembo HC discs though work, for the grand price of nothing :) . Would have only had to pay £24 a disc or anyway. 

2017-03-11_12-37-37

Next I'll be buying some DS2500 and hopefully refresh my caliper colour this week. 

Then It will be tyres and book a track day up.

• Like 2

Common issue that cracking with **** EBC pads :(

On the Greenstuff in the rear of my cosworth the lining actually fell off the metal backing plate totally!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, coskev said:

Common issue that cracking with **** EBC pads :(

On the Greenstuff in the rear of my cosworth the lining actually fell off the metal backing plate totally!

Happened to me too. The pad material fell out and bounced down the road. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to give my front brakes a freshen up with a change of colour. The purple was nice but it was chipped and had a lot of brake dust embedded in the paint. Plus they just didn't stand out :(

So of course they had to be yellow!!!. Being lazy i only took them off the carriers and not off completely.

Rubbed down, primed and sprayed.

Letting them dry 

IMG_20170322_201425114

And back on the car

IMG_20170322_205424324

With the wheels on. I highlighted tarox in black which i think was a mistake, didn't realise how shakey my hands are lol

IMG_20170323_084816999IMG_20170323_134326542

IMG_20170323_085023366

I'll be doing the rears in a few weeks to match, but overall I'm pretty happy with how they came out

Edited by stevobeavo
  • Like 3