Anyone tried a MK70 -> MK60EC1 ABS swap (Now done)

langers2k

I'm looking to fit PLA2 (park assist) but it looks to need a MK60 module rather than the MK70 (1K0907379AK) I have currently. Just curious if anyone here has tried swapping from MK70 to MK60?

I've looked through some part and wiring diagrams which suggest I'll need:

- ABS module (1K0907379 AE, AJ, AP, AT, BC, BE, BG, BJ, BL for XDA+HHC)

- brackets to hold it

- connector (47 pin rather than 26 pin)

The wiring looks pretty similar, and it might require different speed sensors (needed for PLA2 as well I think). The biggest difference is an additional 20A feed which shouldn't be hard to resolve. Then on to coding which I understand is VCP or VAS (online) for the ABS units.

Any feedback on the reliability of the MK60 units would be great too, there are lots of reports of them failing - is this limited to the earlier ones or is it a design fault that would effect all the part numbers above? The bonus here is that I can get a second hand unit refurbished prior to fitting if it's likely to be an issue.

I'm also happy to be wrong about the MK60 requirement for PLA2 as that would also greatly simplify things.

you should have pmd me about it.

BJ is what I fitted to mine (also I know a guy local to me that has a pump and bracket for sale)

You will require speed sensors if you want PLA2

Coding I probably could do with  my vag commander (done a couple of others that upgraded to MK60EC1)

Mk60EC1 doesn't have any issue, Mk60 was the one with issues.

If you need looms I can help with that

I thought you might be able to help Ed.

I think they have also swapped threads so I'd either need to replace brake lines or grab some M10/M12 adaptors that are compatible with the ABS system.

As for the loom, if you know of something the stock connector from the MK70 will plug into then yes, otherwise it'll be a rewire in situ while the pump is swapped over.

• 1 month later...

Just to update, this is very doable.

The MK70 and MK60EC1 share the same brakes lines so it's only wiring and coding to contend with. For the wiring I created an adaptor from the correct MK60EC1 plug to a connector chopped off an old MK70. The only extra wire that needed to be run was from this adaptor to fuse 4 in the engine bay. Other people seem to chop the old plug off and solder a new connector on but I wanted to avoid soldering that many wires in the engine bay, even more so as many share colours.

Optional step is to replace the ASR button for an ESP button, this is about a 30 second job so I did it for completion.

Did the coding with VCDS as I'd looked up the coding for various other cars and came up with 113B401C092680FE881302E8901D0182350800 for mine. This contains a lot of information including model (Octavia), spec (Elegance and below, L&K, vRS appear to be the options), brake disc size, 5 digits of the VIN (all with different numbers added to them), engine, rhd/lhd and then any features that are enabled such as TPMS, XDS, HHC and two stage ESP defeat. Took a little while to do all the basic settings for the sensors but there are now no error codes!

• 4 weeks later...

langers2k, very nice to hear that you sorted it. I'm planning to swap mine too. My present module is 1K0 907 379 AF and it seems that it has same holes for brake lines as MK60EC1 has (luckily). What about plastic cover near the pump? Seems that one for MK70 is smaller. Have you changed it?

There is no plastic cover on the RHD car.

LHD and RHD car's have the pump in different locations so this plastic cover maybe specific to LHD, I know the part diagrams mentioned a heat shield on LHD that isn't on the RHD so it could be this?

They have different part numbers for the MK70 (1K1614321C) and MK60EC1 (1K1614321B), it certainly looks plastic in pictures.

I'd say yes to swapping it as you may find the original doesn't fit the new brackets for the MK60EC1 or that your pump doesn't get enough protection from engine heat.

langers2k, you guessed it right, mine is LHD. I have BLS engine and ABS pump is just right next to the DPF, so heat insulation is necessary i guess. Do you know if pins for 26p and 47p housings are the same? If so, it would be nice to extract them and just put to new housing. Thanks.

Pretty sure they are different crimps, at least that what the part numbers suggested.

Most people seem to cut and solder a used connector but a better solution would be to get the right crimps and redo every connection. Instead, I made an adaptor which works perfectly.

It's a used MK60EC1 connector (7L0 973 047) which had 200mm of cable still attached. I also took an old MK70 ABS unit, removed the rear cover, removed the circuit board and cut it in half to leave just the connector and pins. Each wire is wrapped around the pin and soldered to make a strong connection. Finally I reattached the rear cover and then used an epoxy potting compound to protect the connections from the moisture, vibration, heat and dirt.

I have a picture before I attached the cover and potted it. It's completely plug and play and means there is no need to modify the existing loom at all.

post-121621-0-17429300-1441444152_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for valuable info, now my swap is also done! Old unit was 1K0907379AF. Now i have 1K0 907 379 AJ flashed to BJ. I confirm, that brake line diameters are the same for both units, so i had no need for changing any brake lines. As you said, crimps are very different for 26 and 47pin housings.  I've decided to resolder used crimps obtained from 7L0973047 complete connector. It's very subtle job, soldering so many wires under the hood. My back is hurting me till now :) Complete task took me about 15 hours. Old plastic heat cover fit nicely over the new unit. The biggest problem was with extracting and reattaching pump base. This base was also holder for A/C compressor pipes. Detaching it from A/C wires was very tricky. But, that kind of troubles are only with LHD...

• 1 year later...

Hi langers, I'm part way through retrofitting a MK60EC1 pump in my A3 and stumbled across this thread when looking for some info on it. My car has a MK60 as standard. I've figured out the wiring for the MK60 side and have been making an adapter much the same as yours. The new module I got is 1K0907379BL but I'm concerned about the wiring for it, I have a couple of diagrams but I don't know which one is correct for it! Can you help with that part? So far I've powered the new module up and had it talking to VCDS which is a good start, it's just the few other wires I need help with. Thanks!

Hey @piehole1983, I used elsawin/erwin to compare the wiring of an Octavia with a MK70m and MK60EC1 to fit mine. Assuming there is an 8P A3 with a MK60EC1 as standard that might help.

Otherwise, there are a few people who have switched from MK60 to MK60EC1 ABS in various golf forums, just as an example: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=82155.0 They suggest the ABS pin outs are: http://s812.photobucket.com/user/SI-R32/media/park assist/abs_zps87d3ae2b.jpg.html

Does that match up with the original connections in your A3?

Hey, thanks for the reply. The second link doesn't seem to work at my end :(

I had seen the first link already which tied up to the wiring for the EC1 on elsawin but there are 3 options of pump on the 2012 model of the 8P. That's the bit that stumped me. I couldn't tell if these pumps were a hydraulic servo version or not but going by the first link, they are. I'll re-pin my adapter again and try it.

thanks for your help!!

Edited by piehole1983

Tried it today and all is well with the wiring side of things. Also I've now got a working long code! I'll make the swap at the weekend I think. I'm planning to put the new controller on top of my existing hydraulic unit. We'll see what happens!

Thanks!!

I've had a look at that and there's only one pipe that is an issue which needs to be reduced from M12 to M10. The rest are the same.

As I said, I'll be having a look at taking the MK60EC1 controller and fitting it to the MK60 hydraulic block. They have the same number of solenoids and the same motor connection. It's whether the brake pressure sensors match up or not that will decide if it's possible. Hopefully it is....

Edited by piehole1983

It's two pipes that change, you can see the size of the two inner holes have switched over on this image: http://s253.photobucket.com/user/zrickety/media/20150408_203203_zpszkjbc1ow.jpg.html

In the thread I mentioned earlier, they replaced one brake line (M10-M12) and used one reducer (M12 to M10).

I'd be surprised if the hydraulic units were the same on the MK60 and MK60EC1, let us know how you get on :)