Poor radio reception

I've had my Roomster for just over a year.  I think the car is great, except for the radio.  It was never 100% crystal clear but in the last month or so reception has become terrible.  Sometimes it's okay but most of the time it's so crackly I can't make anything out.  If I drive other cars in the same area the reception is perfect.

I've read elsewhere that it could be the radio antenna, or the base of the aerial, or even the radio unit (Dance).  Is there a dummies guide out there with steps on what to test to work out what's wrong, and how to fix it?  I've never had any radio problems with any other cars I've had.  What's the flaw in the Skoda systems?

I have a 2008 Roomster (aerial at the back) and the Dance radio unit.

I can't even work out how to remove the antenna!

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

DG

• 1 month later...

Sorry don't know about aerial but I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the charger for the dash cam. It's got to be worth checking there's no chargers plugged such as phone chargers.

• 1 month later...

Bad radio reception is usually down to aerial problems, either a bad earth connection which then means that the outer coax is not acting as an interferance shield, or a breakdown in the coax cable causing a short circuit between inner signal and out earth shield making the whole car act as an aerial. Best way to check is to remove the radio and take out the aerial cable, using a multimeter make sure there is not a connection between the inner signal and out earth. If there is the chances are you need to run a new aerial cable from back to front, infact replace the whole aerial completely.

Hope this helps.