Michelin Cross Climate tyres

awfabia

I'd like to see some independent, controlled comparison tests first, to see if the results back up the Cross Climate hype.

Ideally comparing a range of all-seasons, plus a top-end summer and a top-end winter tyre for benchmarks.

Looks like we finally have such a review:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Is-there-a-true-all-season-tyre-We-find-out.htm

• Like 1

Isn't the Crossclimate just Michelin's version of the all-season tyre?

What marks it out as different compared with all-season tyres we've seen previously from Michelin's competitors?

I'm not criticising Michelin, just trying to cut through the marketing fluff to determine if there is anything we haven't seen before...

I've had a set of the Cross Climates for about the last 1,000 miles, so mainly on dry roads but a few days of unseasonal torrential downpour. So far I've been very impressed with them, particularly where you find yourself driving with two wheels on pretty much dry road and the other two in deep puddles at the side of the road - my feeling is the car holds a much better line than with the tyres that it came shod with (Continentals). Once I've done a couple more brim-to-brim fills I'll also have an idea as to whether they are any more or less fuel efficient than the Continentals and post the results. Living on the South Coast a set of full winter tyres was never going to make sense for me but assuming they give a reasonable life these could be ideal for me. 

• Like 1

I've had a set of the Cross Climates for about the last 1,000 miles, so mainly on dry roads but a few days of unseasonal torrential downpour. So far I've been very impressed with them, particularly where you find yourself driving with two wheels on pretty much dry road and the other two in deep puddles at the side of the road - my feeling is the car holds a much better line than with the tyres that it came shod with (Continentals). Once I've done a couple more brim-to-brim fills I'll also have an idea as to whether they are any more or less fuel efficient than the Continentals and post the results. Living on the South Coast a set of full winter tyres was never going to make sense for me but assuming they give a reasonable life these could be ideal for me. 

Do you get much road noise from them? How do they compare to the Conti's in that respect?

Isn't the Crossclimate just Michelin's version of the all-season tyre?

What marks it out as different compared with all-season tyres we've seen previously from Michelin's competitors?

I'm not criticising Michelin, just trying to cut through the marketing fluff to determine if there is anything we haven't seen before...

Removed my comments as non-applicable.

Edited by Huskoda

They did very poorly as a winter tyre in that test. With the tread pattern they have, I'm not at all surprised. I'd personally not bother with their marketing stunt and get something better at the job its required to do.

We haven't really seen it before, as its a summer tyre which does the bare minimum to just get the three peaks logo approval.

I did not read it like that at all unless you're driving abroad in mountainous regions in the winter.

It's really pushed me to getting them when my Michelin Energy's have worn down.

Do you get much road noise from them? How do they compare to the Conti's in that respect?

These things are pretty subjective but yes, I think they actually are quieter than the Contis. They certainly are no noisier.

They did very poorly as a winter tyre in that test. With the tread pattern they have, I'm not at all surprised. I'd personally not bother with their marketing stunt and get something better at the job its required to do.

We haven't really seen it before, as its a summer tyre which does the bare minimum to just get the three peaks logo approval.

Funny but I read it as they did reasonably well.

My yeti had Pirelli Zero Rosso tyres fitted from purchase.

Just covered 37000+ miles, tread down to 4mm & 3.5mm.

Purchased 4 Michelin CrossClimtes yesterday, fitted by dealer.

Drove 50 miles home. And out today.

The tyres feel a bit softer and are quieter than the old ones, driving over usual noisy & bumpy roads.

Will have to do a few tank fill ups to see if mpg is better.

I fitted a set of 4 Michelin CCs on my 140 2.0 TDI DSG Yeti a couple of months ago, so have had no chance to test them in severe weather yet. They seem to run smoothly and, suprprisingly, seem to lead to about 10% lower fuel consumption (was typically 35-40 MPG and is now 40-45 MPG on a ful lto full basis). So, very happy so far.

OGB - are your Michelin CCs the same size as the original tyres?

Did you watch the video ?

I thought they did pretty well up the snow slope - infinitely better than the summer tyres, about the same as the other all-season, and not massively behind the winter.

• Like 1

I was thinking they'd be ideal for the new Superb we've ordered (TDI 150 4x4) - but they don't sell them in any 18" sizes :(

I emailed Michelin when the CC's first became available, to be told 18's are due out next year

Did you watch the video ?

I thought they did pretty well up the snow slope - infinitely better than the summer tyres, about the same as the other all-season, and not massively behind the winter.

Hmm. No, I couldn't at the time and I mixed it up with the other group review cross posted in another section. It does actually look better in this test than the other :)

OGB - are your Michelin CCs the same size as the original tyres?

Yes they are the same size as the originals, though a slightly lower speed rating, which was OK'd by my insurance company.

I've since driven almost 4,000 miles on them and they seem fine and continue to show better fuel consumption than the original tyres - though this may be due to the warm weather.

I've just filled up for the second time since fitting the Cross Climate tyre to my Yeti. I agree with OldGreyBeard that they do appear to give better mpg and my fuel/mileage records seem to back this up. I've posted a more detailed review of my experience so far (albeit only 1,000 miles or so) in the tyres section with  data supporting this opinion. 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/347570-a-game-changer-for-the-uk-climate   (post 36)

• Like 1

Yes they are the same size as the originals, though a slightly lower speed rating, which was OK'd by my insurance company.

I've since driven almost 4,000 miles on them and they seem fine and continue to show better fuel consumption than the original tyres - though this may be due to the warm weather.

Thanks - with the earlier talk of 'non standard' size tyres, I just wondered what you had as it would affect MPG results etc if different to the norm.

Quick question - they don't make these in exactly the same spec as the tyres that are, AFAIK, type approved for the 17" Spitzburg wheels, i.e. 225/50 R17 94W

They do make a 225/50 R17 98V. Would these be acceptable as the load rating is higher but the speed rating lower.

My Yeti handbook is next to useless on what is the minimum spec for tyres for a 170 4x4 Yeti.

Can you guys clarify this issue please?

Thanks.

I couldn't work out what the minimum spec was only what tyres were factory fitted and, as these Cross Climates were below the fitted tyres, I wanted to double check.