Michelin Cross Climate tyres

awfabia

Is it only the north that's having winter this year?.

Strange though it may seem, yes, although actually it seems to be the middle of the country that is getting the worst of it over recent weeks, where they had almost non-stop rain and are suffering severe flooding - the news reports today were that all the rivers has exceeded historic highest levels. I can't speak for Scotland or the far north of England but along the South Coast although we've had some rain - not unexpected in the winter - temperatures have generally remained unusually high - up to around 15-16 degrees rather than the a-few-degrees-above-zero we would normally be getting. Plus side is it has to be helping keep the heating bills down, down side is I think it's going to be some time before I can try my Cross Climates in snow! Just glad I didn't go down the route of full winters.

(Suprised Gyp's not finding the CCs sure=footed. I've had mine on about 3 months and I'm very pleased with the way they hold the road in the wet).

The 225/50 R17 Cross Climates on the V40 have felt very sure footed to date, in temps ranging between 0 and 20 deg C and conditions of warm and dry to cold and very wet; this being the extent of the crazy weather experienced since the beginning of November when they were fitted.

As a side note we've been out and about today but in the Spaceback and the roads have given its winter Nokian A3's a good work out dealing with deep standing water, in places up to kerb height, this being around Pickering and on the Wolds between Malton and Sledmere. Pleased to say they proved excellent wet weather rubber, considering the temperature was slightly above their winter comfort zone at 11 deg C.

TP

Edited by The Plumber

• 4 weeks later...

(Suprised Gyp's not finding the CCs sure=footed. I've had mine on about 3 months and I'm very pleased with the way they hold the road in the wet).

Thought I'd update that now they've been on a while I'm really happy with them. I'm not sure if it took longer than usual to scrub off the release agent or whatever, but they feel totally sure-footted now and I've got total confidence in them.

Happy bunny

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 27/10/2015 at 17:43, Hirundo said:

Here's our Yeti on 215 65 R16 (Michelin CrossClimate):

DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0124.JPG

(Sorry about the quality...)

Are the 65 profile an OEM size I was under the impression a 60 was max you could go to stick with manufacturers specs on a 215/16 ie 215 60 16.

Sure they would be fine to use plenty rubber between road and wheel rim.

Check out tyre rim calculator this size would increase overall size of wheel and tyre might affect gearing slightly and possibly speedo reading, I am no expert but been researching for my own winter tyre fitments.

I had a look on e tyres and they say plus or minus 2.5% the 65s are 4.41% a 29 mm increase in diameter.

Edited by ywyetinym
  • Like 1

Most likely to have the Speedo reading more accurately, ie correct speed rather than as from the factory and speedo showing your speed as higher than actually travelling at.

Easy enough to check using sat nav when travelling at a constant speed and comparing GPS / Speedo.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

Most likely to have the Speedo reading more accurately, ie correct speed rather than as from the factory and speedo showing your speed as higher than actually travelling at.

Easy enough to check using sat nav when travelling at a constant speed and comparing GPS / Speedo.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

Yes I think your probably correct It seems most car speedos read fast although Its a nice cushion If you ignore that fact and like to stick to the 20s 30s and 40s speed limits not sure how far out they are further up the range.

Just another dilemma  about winter wheels and tyres, on my previous car I bought a set of steel rims and fitted nokian winter tyres from My Tyres.

I believe  they were of German origin they had rusted quiet badly after 4 winters but served their purpose well enough.

The Nokians are a great tyre for the price I have to say.

I am torn between just replacing the summer tyres on my new Yeti with cross climates or Nokians with rim protection, or purchasing a set of rims for winter use 16" rims with taller profile tyres 215 60 16R.

I am now wary of the German steel rims due to the rusting issues and also they are not OEM spec, was considering some aftermarket alloy as the skoda steel rims are roughly £270 for 4 and aftermarket alloys £450 ish for 4 add on the tyre cost and Its a tidy amount.

Well I live in North Yorkshire like you and while I have steel wheels with Nokian winter tyres I will certainly change to CrossClimates when tyres are do for a change. Winters have been relatively benign recently and really have not needed special winter tyres. Mind you I wouldn't run summer tyres here in the winter.

4 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Well I live in North Yorkshire like you and while I have steel wheels with Nokian winter tyres I will certainly change to CrossClimates when tyres are do for a change. Winters have been relatively benign recently and really have not needed special winter tyres. Mind you I wouldn't run summer tyres here in the winter.

Yes your right about the mild winters i have not seen a bad winter since i retired, but still ran my nokians and saved my alloys piece of mind If bad weather did hit us.

1 minute ago, ywyetinym said:

Yes your right about the mild winters i have not seen a bad winter since i retired, but still ran my nokians and saved my alloys piece of mind If bad weather did hit us.

Completely agree. Also retired so if weather was really bad then can choose to stay home and wait for some improvement before venturing out.