The 280PS Thread

6 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Driving the car to its limits on public roads is simply irresponsible. I know too many instances of innocents being killed by such irresponsibility.

The OP is being totally responsible in wanting to go to a racetrack to explore the potential of the vehicle in a relatively safe environment. Why would you criticise that.

Fair enough.

My point is, however, that “exploring the potential” of an unmodified Skoda Superb on a track will just very quickly reveal its complete absence of potential in that environment. Yes, you can give it a squirt out of a corner and see what speed you might reach, but those speeds are unlikely to get that high as most straights aren’t that long – plus you’re slow coming out of the last corner and very, very early on the brakes for the next one because the huge lump of jelly you’re in will already feel so unstable.

I was at a track 10 days ago and witnessed a parallel, open track-day event. Most of the cars were being driving very gingerly – understandable given the cars’ severely limited track capabilities, probable driver inexperience and, most importantly, the wish / need to get home in the same car. But it is just beyond my comprehension what the drivers might get out of that.

If you want ‘affordable’ yet satisfying high-performance experience with four wheels on a track, check out high-power karts: unbelievably, neck-snappingly fast; immense stopping power and huge cornering grip, pulling more lateral g than in most race cars. They’re intense … and rewarding.

7 hours ago, eurotraveller said:

Fair enough.

My point is, however, that “exploring the potential” of an unmodified Skoda Superb on a track will just very quickly reveal its complete absence of potential in that environment. Yes, you can give it a squirt out of a corner and see what speed you might reach, but those speeds are unlikely to get that high as most straights aren’t that long – plus you’re slow coming out of the last corner and very, very early on the brakes for the next one because the huge lump of jelly you’re in will already feel so unstable.

I was at a track 10 days ago and witnessed a parallel, open track-day event. Most of the cars were being driving very gingerly – understandable given the cars’ severely limited track capabilities, probable driver inexperience and, most importantly, the wish / need to get home in the same car. But it is just beyond my comprehension what the drivers might get out of that.

If you want ‘affordable’ yet satisfying high-performance experience with four wheels on a track, check out high-power karts: unbelievably, neck-snappingly fast; immense stopping power and huge cornering grip, pulling more lateral g than in most race cars. They’re intense … and rewarding.

I don't think I want to take my Superb or the EOS to a track day, but the Golf might be fun. All I'd want from the experience would be the chance to explore the car's (& our..) capabilities in a safer environment than the local country lanes. 

As for rewarding, that's a bit judgmental, we enjoyed a trundle around the 'Ring back in 1990, totally unsuitable car but still fun, & educational too. 

I don't need, or want an "intense" experience on a track, & as for Go-Karts, I'd need a crane to get in / out of the thing!

Your original point re. a Superb being too big, etc. for a track makes sense ( especially since you own one...), but did you ever see the racing Ford Galaxies back in the day?

Very impressive & competitive too, but just a little bit tweaked for the race-track!

DC

LOL yes, I do remember the Ford Galaxies! In fact, I was half expecting some clever-clogs to mention them. :)

A teensy, weensy bit modified as you say, though.

And yes, I too ‘did the Ring’ in an unsuitable car: a 1st gen. Golf GTi – fried the brakes after a third of the lap and had to limp back.

6 hours ago, eurotraveller said:

LOL yes, I do remember the Ford Galaxies! In fact, I was half expecting some clever-clogs to mention them. :)

A teensy, weensy bit modified as you say, though.

And yes, I too ‘did the Ring’ in an unsuitable car: a 1st gen. Golf GTi – fried the brakes after a third of the lap and had to limp back.

Our Ring-mobile was much worse than a GTi, 'twas a 1990 2.0i Cavalier, 4-speed auto, with 115 bhp. Good fun though, but I'd forgotten to secure my wife's wheelchair & didn't have time / space to stop so it kept sliding around in the boot.

Good car for long-distance cruising though, 90 mph = 3k rpm, & 35 mpg overall.

Times change & 37 years later I'm not so keen on going back there, even though the R might keep me alive.

DC

16 hours ago, BillyJim said:

My own MY2015 was version 1. Check yours before ordering one. I slid a camera phone underneath from the front of the car.

100 Nm.

I just checked my MY17 (built Dec 16) Sportline 280 and it is a version 1.

59373b7c8d7f0_skodadogbonemount.jpg.a6b4cf18aa6ecb55ebb573105962885e.jpg

Also, for some reason, it seems like the torque spec is 130Nm here in Australia for the bolt. Confirmed by the authorised retailer in Australia.

https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/034motorsport-dogbone-mount-installation-mk7-8v/ 

13 hours ago, cyberkank said:

Also, for some reason, it seems like the torque spec is 130Nm here in Australia for the bolt.

No argument from me. I was quoted 100 Nm but then I was also told I had version 2 (without my first checking). I mentioned at the time to the source that it felt a lot more than 100 Nm when I loosened it.

Edit: Went to the manufacturer's website, 034 Motorsport, and their installation guide confirms it should be 130 Nm. I'll be tightening my nuts now!

Edited by BillyJim
  • Like 1

Sorry going off topic here but I need to replace the tyres on my 280 Estate. Done 25k and the fronts are down to 3mm and rears 4mm. Can't really fault the P7s that are on other than the noise. Be glad of anyone elses experiences.

3 minutes ago, Superb280T said:

Sorry going off topic here but I need to replace the tyres on my 280 Estate. Done 25k and the fronts are down to 3mm and rears 4mm. Can't really fault the P7s that are on other than the noise. Be glad of anyone elses experiences.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Absolutely fantastic. Grip on another lever compared to the P7s.

Edited by micloi

32 minutes ago, micloi said:

Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Absolutely fantastic. Grip on another lever compared to the P7s.

+1 I had these on the e60 530d and they were super!

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a 280 L&K Combi from a dealer in Luxembourg, been quoted five months for delivery though.

Was messing around trying to get a 330i or 252ps A4 but speccing them up adequately proved too much for the budget. Stepping into the Skoda dealer and just asking them to tick every box was a lot easier!

If it's anything like as good as my Yeti Monte Carlo (RIP) I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, juux said:

Stepping into the Skoda dealer and just asking them to tick every box was a lot easier!

That does it for me, too. I can’t stand ‘luxury’ cars without luxuries; all I ever notice is what they don’t have.

I wanted every extra as well, at first the dealer started to go through all the options and it took him a few minutes to realise that I just wanted every box ticked!

Still did not get the Smart Light Assist or the correct wheels though as he got a bit confused!

I hate to have a blanking plate where a switch should be.

Edited by philsmith

Again, couldn’t agree more. So-called premium cars seem to be big on blanking plates - because very few buyers can bring themselves to tick every box as it just gets silly and so they make compromises, lots of them, and end up with cars far less well equipped than our Skodas.

Oh, sorry, they do get whatever ‘premium’ badge it is, whereas we have to cope with the winged arrow. Tough, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just spent a few days using a current model BMW 520d in “M” spec, i.e. ‘sports’ seats etc.

Downsides:

Engine - dull, dull, dull

Equipment levels - poor, poor, poor

But, and this is where it’s relevant to the above and travelling many miles, which I also do (20+k p.a.):

Together with those excellent seats*, I found the driving position truly outstanding – way better than the Superb (though in the BMW that comes at the price of leaving virtually no legroom behind me as the driver). Driving position is obviously very important; I’m hoping the experience will fade quite quickly from my ageing memory.

*I’ve sat in the Superb Sportline – not as good.

Incidentally, the most annoying thing on the BMW: you must select Auto Hold via a centre console button after every time you start the car, otherwise the function does not operate. How stupid is that?!

PS: Just went on the BMW configurator…

Closest comparable = 540i xDrive M Sport Touring (it seems you must buy the 540 to get the xDrive)

I stopped adding bits to match the L&K at about £65k. Ouch. And considering the value of any car I drive will be down to a fraction after a handful of years…

Edited by eurotraveller
added information
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2017 at 09:31, eurotraveller said:

I’ve just spent a few days using a current model BMW 520d in “M” spec, i.e. ‘sports’ seats etc.

Downsides:

Engine - dull, dull, dull

Equipment levels - poor, poor, poor

But, and this is where it’s relevant to the above and travelling many miles, which I also do (20+k p.a.):

Together with those excellent seats*, I found the driving position truly outstanding – way better than the Superb (though in the BMW that comes at the price of leaving virtually no legroom behind me as the driver). Driving position is obviously very important; I’m hoping the experience will fade quite quickly from my ageing memory.

*I’ve sat in the Superb Sportline – not as good.

Incidentally, the most annoying thing on the BMW: you must select Auto Hold via a centre console button after every time you start the car, otherwise the function does not operate. How stupid is that?!

PS: Just went on the BMW configurator…

Closest comparable = 540i xDrive M Sport Touring (it seems you must buy the 540 to get the xDrive)

I stopped adding bits to match the L&K at about £65k. Ouch. And considering the value of any car I drive will be down to a fraction after a handful of years…

I am completely with you on this.

I too looked at other cars before purchasing my 280 L & K combi.

I didn't look at BMW or Merc's but looked at SUV's including the Q5 and new Tiguan.  I was considering a new Tiguan with a view of ordering a Kodaiq in December when it was first shown in the UK and when I ordered the Superb estate.  I don't need a diesel and didn't want a diesel.  I tried the 180bhp Tiguan, just not enough go for me.  Then there was the lean in corners when driving quicker I didn't like either.  Q5 much the same just different engine choice.

It came down for me to an A6 Avant and the Superb estate.

It had to be fun with power and reasonable cost to buy.  For a non diesel you have to jump straight a S6 Avant, now we are into serious money.  Very quick but £58k plus options to bring to same spec as L & K.  Nope.

MPG is not too bad and I have done 2800 miles since March.  Just nicely loosened up and pulls very well indeed.  In all honesty I can't fault it.  Only has a 6 speed DSG box, all it needs quite frankly.

Like philpix I have a summer holiday booked in France for 2 weeks at the end of this month.  Will do about 1500 miles in 2 weeks.  This should be a good test for it, comfort, speed, load carrying capacity etc.  Can't wait.

I have only ever used the car in "normal" mode.  Will need to read the book and see what "eco" mode is like.  Anybody have experience of this?

• Like 2

So, we’re mostly in agreement, except:

“Only has a 6 speed DSG box, all it needs quite frankly.”

I occasionally (several times a month) drive a Porsche Macan with the same EA888 engine, except that’s in 240-250ps guise (cannot remember which).

The key difference is that it has a 7 speed. While the cars are naturally quite different, that box does work better with the engine.  The Macan, as most here will know, sits on VW’s MLB rather than MQB platform, which is presumably why there’s space for a better box. 

That MLB platform is of course also shared by the Audi A6 you mentioned. Boy, do you pay for it in terms of interior space.

Nothing’s ever perfect, eh?

PS: Use of Eco mode is not legal in the 280 – don’t even think about it. You might as well take yourself off to a clinic in Switzerland.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, eurotraveller said:

So, we’re mostly in agreement, except:

“Only has a 6 speed DSG box, all it needs quite frankly.”

I occasionally (several times a month) drive a Porsche Macan with the same EA888 engine, except that’s in 240-250ps guise (cannot remember which).

The key difference is that it has a 7 speed. While the cars are naturally quite different, that box does work better with the engine.  The Macan, as most here will know, sits on VW’s MLB rather than MQB platform, which is presumably why there’s space for a better box. 

That MLB platform is of course also shared by the Audi A6 you mentioned. Boy, do you pay for it in terms of interior space.

Nothing’s ever perfect, eh?

PS: Use of Eco mode is not legal in the 280 – don’t even think about it. You might as well take yourself off to a clinic in Switzerland.

It's banned in 220s as well mate. ;) Can you quantify how the 7sp was better for us? Genuinely interested as I'm generally against the race for extra gears, certainly in manuals, but I imagine in an auto it's less of an issue as the box is doing the work most of the time anyway. Heaven help the 10sp box users in manual mode though. :D 

• Like 1

I'll try to put that impression into coherent words when the experience is fresh in my mind. But: it's definitely more responsive. It feels slicker.

A close friend just took delivery of a new 911 with a 7-speed manual!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, superbtte said:

Bruntingthorpe

285km/h (GPS corrected, would have been showing 300 on the speedo if it could show that much!)

with more possible before the runway run out (approx 1.2 miles before I had to start braking) :)

I estimate the final speed to be just over 300km/h (GPS measured)

285kmh.jpg

Thats not fair, your is quicker then mine :) . But i tell you guys i was suprised cos i got Opel astra opc 2017 on my ass and he was damn fast, on paper its 1.6 petrol 280bhp and 300kg less then superb. I think that time is coming to do some remap and add other toys to got more POWER :)

• Like 1