The 280PS Thread

10 hours ago, superbtte said:

Bruntingthorpe

285km/h (GPS corrected, would have been showing 300 on the speedo if it could show that much!)

with more possible before the runway run out (approx 1.2 miles before I had to start braking) :)

I estimate the final speed to be just over 300km/h (GPS measured)

285kmh.jpg

What tyres and pressures are you using for these runs?

17 hours ago, eurotraveller said:

So, we’re mostly in agreement, except:

“Only has a 6 speed DSG box, all it needs quite frankly.”

I occasionally (several times a month) drive a Porsche Macan with the same EA888 engine, except that’s in 240-250ps guise (cannot remember which).

The key difference is that it has a 7 speed. While the cars are naturally quite different, that box does work better with the engine.  The Macan, as most here will know, sits on VW’s MLB rather than MQB platform, which is presumably why there’s space for a better box. 

That MLB platform is of course also shared by the Audi A6 you mentioned. Boy, do you pay for it in terms of interior space.

Nothing’s ever perfect, eh?

PS: Use of Eco mode is not legal in the 280 – don’t even think about it. You might as well take yourself off to a clinic in Switzerland.

We've driven two current A4 Avants (MLB of course) with the 252 ps 2.0 TSi & a 7-speed S-Tronic (DSG!) & if you don't need all the space, etc. of a Superb 3 then it could be a sensible choice.

Refined, yes indeed, very quiet in front or rear seats, quite nippy & not to bad on (familiar) country roads either. The 7-speed is high geared, 70 mph is app 1600/1700 rpm, but still has plenty of poke through the gears.

Too expensive, yes, especially when trying to reach L & K equipment levels, but probably a better built car.

If we do find one that we like (has to be used', 'cos just too expensive for us as a new car& there are very few decently equipped cars out  there) we will still keep our old Superb in-case we need the extra carrying capacity. 

The other A4 option is the 3.0 V6 TDi, 218 ps + a 7-speed S-Tronic. or 272 ps 8-speed Tiptronic slush-box.

Again, very refined, probably sub 40 mpg + Ad-Blue  & we're not really saving the planet either, but there are more used examples tout there.

DC

• Like 2

On 03/07/2017 at 18:07, RGKTSi said:

I am completely with you on this.

I too looked at other cars before purchasing my 280 L & K combi.

I didn't look at BMW or Merc's but looked at SUV's including the Q5 and new Tiguan.  I was considering a new Tiguan with a view of ordering a Kodaiq in December when it was first shown in the UK and when I ordered the Superb estate.  I don't need a diesel and didn't want a diesel.  I tried the 180bhp Tiguan, just not enough go for me.  Then there was the lean in corners when driving quicker I didn't like either.  Q5 much the same just different engine choice.

It came down for me to an A6 Avant and the Superb estate.

It had to be fun with power and reasonable cost to buy.  For a non diesel you have to jump straight a S6 Avant, now we are into serious money.  Very quick but £58k plus options to bring to same spec as L & K.  Nope.

MPG is not too bad and I have done 2800 miles since March.  Just nicely loosened up and pulls very well indeed.  In all honesty I can't fault it.  Only has a 6 speed DSG box, all it needs quite frankly.

Like philpix I have a summer holiday booked in France for 2 weeks at the end of this month.  Will do about 1500 miles in 2 weeks.  This should be a good test for it, comfort, speed, load carrying capacity etc.  Can't wait.

I have only ever used the car in "normal" mode.  Will need to read the book and see what "eco" mode is like.  Anybody have experience of this?

I've tried ECO but reverted back to Comfort mode for France. Not too bouncy on the superb road surfaces over there. Enjoy your holiday! Phil.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was a bit of a doubter when it came to the RaceChip claims but blimey if there is only one mod you buy for your 280 this is it!

It transforms the car into something it should have been out of the factory.

IMG_2524.JPG

• Like 1

You did the "Audi" mod for me which was a slight improvement but this changes the throttle response to another dimension.

46 minutes ago, philpix said:

You did the "Audi" mod for me which was a slight improvement but this changes the throttle response to another dimension.

Oh, ok, this is just a throttle control box, not engine tuning. Yes, they work well. I am using the one below. 

Combine it with a JB4 (power increase to around 370ps) and you have a much nicer car imo. 

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/box-details.php?id=27

Edited by superbtte
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, philpix said:

I was a bit of a doubter when it came to the RaceChip claims but blimey if there is only one mod you buy for your 280 this is it!

IMG_2524.JPG

I think I might have asked before but can somebody confirm I do not need to tell my insurance company about a throttle response? About to order the XLR but also to days off car insurance renewal. Tempted to move to an insurance company who are more OK about modifications.

Any insurance recommendations? I am also considering but might not order the Racechip.

2 hours ago, hpoom said:

Any insurance recommendations? I am also considering but might not order the Racechip.

It's always advisable to inform your insurance. They'll most likely not be concerned but if they're aware of it then it negates any queries in the unfortunate event that you need to make a claim. You will also probably find, like I did, that you need to explain what it is and what it does.

I was with Churchill and the XLR predecessor 'Throttle Response' wasn't a concern as it didn't modify the engine performance from manufacturer's specification. The tuning box, however, was a different matter. They wouldn't cover any kind of chipping or tuning.

NOT RELEVANT TO THE XLR:- After a bit of comparing on the internet I switched to LV who had no such qualms and didn't even want specifics other than knowing that my car was chipped/tuned. My concern was that after a year they'd hike the 'introductory' premium. The first annual renewal is now due and like all car insurance it's gone up - by £30, which was a lot less than I was expecting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hpoom said:

I am also considering but might not order the Racechip.

Let me know if you do as I have a discount code for between £50 - £100 if ordered before the end of August. (Only for the Racechip, does not include the XLR)

11 hours ago, superbtte said:

Oh, ok, this is just a throttle control box, not engine tuning. Yes, they work well. I am using the one below. 

Combine it with a JB4 (power increase to around 370ps) and you have a much nicer car imo. 

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/box-details.php?id=27

What is the real difference between JB1 and JB4? I am currently using the JB1 on the 280ps and you're right,  It is a nice upgrade. It makes the car a lot more gutsy than stock, not sure if JB4 is much better. 

2 hours ago, cyberkank said:

What is the real difference between JB1 and JB4? I am currently using the JB1 on the 280ps and you're right,  It is a nice upgrade. It makes the car a lot more gutsy than stock, not sure if JB4 is much better. 

You can upgrade the jb1 to a jb4 easily and without too much of an outlay. 

The jb4 will give you more power, will be smoother at the power delivery and gives more logging options as it also connects to the odb2 port. Also soon if will have a new firmware that will allow automatic tuning based on temperature, your specific car mods etc. 

20 hours ago, BillyJim said:

It's always advisable to inform your insurance. They'll most likely not be concerned but if they're aware of it then it negates any queries in the unfortunate event that you need to make a claim. You will also probably find, like I did, that you need to explain what it is and what it does.

I was with Churchill and the XLR predecessor 'Throttle Response' wasn't a concern as it didn't modify the engine performance from manufacturer's specification. The tuning box, however, was a different matter. They wouldn't cover any kind of chipping or tuning.

NOT RELEVANT TO THE XLR:- After a bit of comparing on the internet I switched to LV who had no such qualms and didn't even want specifics other than knowing that my car was chipped/tuned. My concern was that after a year they'd hike the 'introductory' premium. The first annual renewal is now due and like all car insurance it's gone up - by £30, which was a lot less than I was expecting.

Would you recommend LV? I just did a quote and they are £300 cheaper then my renewal from Direct Line (£400 instead of £700). I am tempted to take a policy with LV and tell them about the XLR, which I have not ordered yet but so close to clicking buy button, then ring them later in the year if I get a RaceChip.

Do you think they would be OK with a mid year change?

On 18/07/2017 at 14:25, philpix said:

@philpix how easy was the XLR to fit?

36 minutes ago, hpoom said:

Would you recommend LV? I just did a quote and they are £300 cheaper then my renewal from Direct Line (£400 instead of £700). I am tempted to take a policy with LV and tell them about the XLR, which I have not ordered yet but so close to clicking buy button, then ring them later in the year if I get a RaceChip.

Do you think they would be OK with a mid year change?

I won't recommend an insurance company until I've had to make a claim. After all, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" and (touch wood) I haven't needed to make a claim in well over 30 years.

As for making mid-term changes regarding further modification you will no doubt be asked to cover any increase in premium for the remaining term but there doesn't appear to be any additional charges.

This is a direct quote from the LV policy document...

We'll make a charge to cover our costs if:
Your insurance policy is cancelled £40

You change your vehicle or a driver £15

You provide incorrect information and we agree to correct it £15 

I hope that helps!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hpoom said:

@philpix how easy was the XLR to fit?

Easy to fit following the instruction sheets. Well worth the money IMO.

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2543.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just fitted my XLR, the same as @philpix A huge improvement. The car is now how it should have been when it left the factory. I mounted it the same as Phil but I am sure I will move it as I don't like it in that box. Just need to take a look and work out where to route the cable.

One question, the light stays on when the ignition is off. I have asked Phil if his does the same as only person I know with an XLR, but does the older Throttle Response also keep the light on, does it not power off when the car is off?

48 minutes ago, hpoom said:

...does the older Throttle Response also keep the light on, does it not power off when the car is off?

The older one is door rather than ignition dependent. The LED comes on when you unlock/open the door. If you don't do anything for about 10-15 seconds it turns off.  Turn on the ignition and it remains on. When you then turn ignition off it remains on until you close and lock the door.

There was a 'press and hold' type of option to alter it but 1. I can't recall what it was and 2. I didn't care what it was because I was happy with how it functions.

1 hour ago, hpoom said:

I mounted it the same as Phil but I am sure I will move it as I don't like it in that box. Just need to take a look and work out where to route the cable.

Just thinking out loud here...

If you've done it the way @philpix has shown it in his picture, feeding the cable in from the side, then IMHO that's an untidy method quite likely to interfere with the functionality of the tray.

There is a plastic lip at the top of the aperture that holds the tray and it acts as a stop that prevents the tray falling completely open. You can gently ease the box past the stop/lip and thus allow it to fully open.

DSC00206a.thumb.jpg.b40507444c561f23fe8b76e308bd6fdb.jpg

With the tray fully open you can feed the controller with attached cable from behind rather than the side and, when you've just as gently pushed the tray back into position back beyond the stop/lip, it doesn't interfere with the opening and closing.

There's a big enough gap at the rear right corner for the cable to feed through without fouling.

DSC00208.thumb.JPG.c71314c1c024b13218c4fd17aa1211d3.JPG

• Like 1

excuse me for asking if already has been answered somewhere. does this device that improves throttle response affect in any way the warranty for the car?

if you use this device, and after a while you take it of, is it possible that the dealer would know it has bee used? can ECU or other part store informations that can show such device has been used?

I think is clear I am very concerned regarding warranty... :):):)

@U241170 I can't give you a definitive answer. As you state that you're 'very concerned' you should put that question to your dealer rather than a forum of owners. After all, if you needed to make a warranty claim it would be the dealer sorting it, not us.

Mine came about as a result of a conversation with my dealer about chipping and warranty which led to my fitting a tuning box (suggested by dealer) and the Throttle Response.
The car has been back to the dealer for servicing with both fitted and in plain view** and it didn't raise any questions, but then again I wasn't having any warranty work done.

** My Throttle Response controller was originally mounted next to the Columbus as shown below and I only recently moved it to the cubbyhole, not to hide it but rather because during the recent {and brief} warm weather the glue of the velcro pad had become soft and was no longer supporting the weight of the unit.

IMG_0415.jpg.2c321cce62ea4242b9e24cc8713d6fc3.jpg