The 280PS Thread

At almost 30,000 miles per year I've been forced into diesels for the last few cars.

Desperate to get into a petrol but too scared I'm going to feel the pain at the pumps.

Has anyone recorded actual fuel economy (manually) on their 280PS during motorway use?

I'm guessing not many people do big mileage in the petrol but thought I'd ask.

I'm currently getting bang-on 50mpg from my 2011 Superb 2 (2.0 CR140). Clearly the 280 won't get that high but I'm prepared to take a hit on fuel economy for driving a car with a nicer engine!

Best I can manage, real world, on motorways is 33mpg. But I do mostly cruise at just over 80mph on the M ways. 

Ive heard some people can get up to 39-40mpg in a 280 on the motorway but I don't know how they do it!? 

I'd be very happy to achieve that! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TGR said:

Best I can manage, real world, on motorways is 33mpg. But I do mostly cruise at just over 80mph on the M ways. 

Ive heard some people can get up to 39-40mpg in a 280 on the motorway but I don't know how they do it!? 

I'd be very happy to achieve that! 

I will be happy if I can manage 33 when I get my 280, drive at similar speeds to you when I'm out and about on the motorway.

13 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I do 15,000 miles a year in a 220, with mpg currently around 36 on mixed motorways and dual carriageways.  The 280 has 4x4 and shorter gearing so I would expect a few mpg less.

I do 15K a year, a lot of long runs to north of England , Stuttgart etc and short runs to the post office less than a mile away a couple of times a day

Most I have ever seen is 35mpg and the  long term is running at 28mpg at the moment but I would expect that to get better in the next couple of months as I have a few long runs, but never seen it better than 30mpg.

16 hours ago, silver1011 said:

At almost 30,000 miles per year I've been forced into diesels for the last few cars.

Desperate to get into a petrol but too scared I'm going to feel the pain at the pumps.

Has anyone recorded actual fuel economy (manually) on their 280PS during motorway use?

I'm currently getting bang-on 50mpg from my 2011 Superb 2 (2.0 CR140). Clearly the 280 won't get that high but I'm prepared to take a hit on fuel economy for driving a car with a nicer engine!

Just did a 1000km trip in the outback Australia. The average fuel consumption was surprisingly good at 6.9L / 100km. This was mainly going at 100-110km/h highway.

Edited by cyberkank
  • Like 1

Just returned from a trip to Hilderstone in Staffordshire and the onboard computer said 35.6mpg for the whole trip of 343.8 miles or with a figure for todays return trip of 38.1mpg 

2 hours ago, Super280 said:

I didn't get the 280PS for its great fuel consumption :biggrin:

I enjoy pushing it, getting 10 km/l that is not bad at all.

Well, I get around 7 l / 100 km (40,35 mpg) from my 190 hp DSG. I don't think 10 l / 100 km is that much... at least not for a 280 hp family car.

21 hours ago, Prykey said:

Just returned from a trip to Hilderstone in Staffordshire and the onboard computer said 35.6mpg for the whole trip of 343.8 miles or with a figure for todays return trip of 38.1mpg 

Where do you buy your special thin soled driving shoes???

(Mine came from M&S, but only worn when driving EOS, 'cos it has a very light gas-pedal.....)

DC

(Best ever for the R so far is, 35 mpg to & from Norwich, probably 'cos the A140 is sooo slow.)

Have never seen anything over 35mpg and getting that is difficult, I have no idea how people get such high mpg figures!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

Where do you buy your special thin soled driving shoes???

(Mine came from M&S, but only worn when driving EOS, 'cos it has a very light gas-pedal.....)

DC

(Best ever for the R so far is, 35 mpg to & from Norwich, probably 'cos the A140 is sooo slow.)

Hi David, a combination of auto cruise set at 75 and letting the car sort out the speed and adhering to the enforced variable speed limits on the M25, M1 and M6 and of course the 50mph in the long stretches of road works on the M1. I'm not adverse to making progress when conditions allow on the National Limits across country.

Hope that you and Val are both keeping well :biggrin:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, philsmith said:

Have never seen anything over 35mpg and getting that is difficult, I have no idea how people get such high mpg figures!

Leave mine in normal mode for the vast majority of the time and use full sport mode when going across country as and when the need arises, also tend to run mine on Tesco Momentum 99 where possible. 

• Like 1

Just done Croydon to Leeds M-ways and A1 80-90 mph all the way and returned 35mpg.

I did more or less the same journey at the weekend (Biggin Hill to Leeds) 85mph on the motorway sections and 80mph on the dual carriageway parts when I could, even slowed down to 70mph after Newark as I was early and got a bit over 30mpg overall.

On 10/11/2017 at 09:48, Prykey said:

Hi David, a combination of auto cruise set at 75 and letting the car sort out the speed and adhering to the enforced variable speed limits on the M25, M1 and M6 and of course the 50mph in the long stretches of road works on the M1. I'm not adverse to making progress when conditions allow on the National Limits across country.

Hope that you and Val are both keeping well :biggrin:

G'Day John.

Proper ECO driving, I'm proud young Sir.

I guess that we all "make progress" at times, but after catching a camera on the A12 north of Ipswich recently (58 in a 50 after not heavy enough braking in the EOS...) 

I'm back in ECO mode myself.

We're both well, a bit frustrated at not being able to choose / find something affordable that's both fun to drive & civilised. We're even considering a new Passat GT 2.0 TSi Estate,

cheap at the moment 'cos it's a VW UK "Target" car. 

Very civilised & easy to live with, especially if you are used to current VW's, (but a little bit bland?)  the 220ps engine isn't that exciting but it's a little bit shorter than a Superb 3, which could be crucial in our garage.

(New Roller Shutter doors have given us more width to drive through, but since they are mounted inside the garage we have lost 9" of effective length.

My Superb 2 fits, but I have to drive into the foam at the back of the garage to ensure that I've space for the door to close. Given that your Superb is a bit longer than mine, I just might have a problem............

A  300ps Leon Cupra ST ticks some of the boxes, but it's still a slightly cramped & cheaper Golf............

TTFN, D & V.

19 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

G'Day John.

Proper ECO driving, I'm proud young Sir.

I guess that we all "make progress" at times, but after catching a camera on the A12 north of Ipswich recently (58 in a 50 after not heavy enough braking in the EOS...) 

I'm back in ECO mode myself.

We're both well, a bit frustrated at not being able to choose / find something affordable that's both fun to drive & civilised. We're even considering a new Passat GT 2.0 TSi Estate,

cheap at the moment 'cos it's a VW UK "Target" car. 

Very civilised & easy to live with, especially if you are used to current VW's, (but a little bit bland?)  the 220ps engine isn't that exciting but it's a little bit shorter than a Superb 3, which could be crucial in our garage.

(New Roller Shutter doors have given us more width to drive through, but since they are mounted inside the garage we have lost 9" of effective length.

My Superb 2 fits, but I have to drive into the foam at the back of the garage to ensure that I've space for the door to close. Given that your Superb is a bit longer than mine, I just might have a problem............

A  300ps Leon Cupra ST ticks some of the boxes, but it's still a slightly cramped & cheaper Golf............

TTFN, D & V.

What are the VW Arteon prices like David? Whoops, just looked, they are very rich :(

1 hour ago, Prykey said:

What are the VW Arteon prices like David? Whoops, just looked, they are very rich :(

Try speccing one to the same level as yours!   I tried it for my order and it came to £47k.  The only things the Arteon had that the superb didn't was the digital display and DCC which were standard.

6 hours ago, roo said:

Try speccing one to the same level as yours!   I tried it for my order and it came to £47k.  The only things the Arteon had that the superb didn't was the digital display and DCC which were standard.

I know, very, very expensive!

6 hours ago, Prykey said:

I know, very, very expensive!

Doesn't the 280 L&K have DCC as standard?

As for the Arteon, the looks are a bit Marmite, no headroom in the back, Passat dashboard but newer / better SatNav cum Adaptive cruise + step-free addjustments

for DCC. 

A Superb is much better value, & if you want a 5-door hatchback/coupe, then Audi & BMW are proper Premium brands & will have better residuals.

DC