The 280PS Thread

Yes, the L&K does come with DCC.  

Looking t photos, I was not too keen on the Arteon, but in the metal I think it looks really nice, and I thought the inside looked classy.  A lot nicer thant the passat, which I think looks really dull.

The Arteon also only comes with the discover (amundsun) as standard. On the top spec R-line The discover pro (columbus) is a £895 option. Full kessy, magic pedal , the canton equivalent, voice control, heated rear seats, tyre pressure monitoring, heated front windscreen are all extra too compared to the L&K, which starts from £3k less for the same engine range.

1 hour ago, roo said:

The Arteon also only comes with ....tyre pressure monitoring, ..... are all extra too compared to the L&K, which starts from £3k less for the same engine range.

TPMS is now a legal requirement for any new car, which may be why the Arteon does not list it in the specs? but you can be assured it will be std.

Looking futher, it comes with a basic tyre pressure loss indicator, but the once that shows the tyre pressure on the radio HMI screen (similar to the superb I believe) is a £135 option.

Hmmm a bit fed up this morning, my lovely 280 L&K has started spinning its front wheels at 20,000 miles. VCDS gave fault "Pump for Haldex Clutch - internal system fault" so I reset it, took the car out, first damp roundabout wheel spin and having driven just a few miles, the fault has reappeared. So it looks like the 4wd is dead. Whilst this car is fantastic it is a bit worrying that it is very complex and if this is indicative of the reliability, I might regret buying it. I tend to keep my cars for a long time so fine whilst it is under warranty, less fine afterwards!

Are the Haldex systems known to be unreliable?

Damn, that doesn't sound very good! I hope it's not a common problem. I plan on keeping mine a fair few years after warranty.

Let us know what the dealer says.

1 hour ago, TGR said:

Damn, that doesn't sound very good! I hope it's not a common problem. I plan on keeping mine a fair few years after warranty.

Let us know what the dealer says.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortuntely) I am going away for 2 weeks starting Saturday so the car is in to the dealer on the first day we are back which is Nov 7th. Initially the chap said they'd have to do their own fault finding before doing anything, but when I went into more detail about the fault code etc, they said they would do a "speculative order" to get the bits in, on the presumption that my diagnosis was right.

In fact it looks as though the pump is quite easy to change and not that expensive, around £170. My next questions will be whether they change the oil and filter within the Haldex as part of that job. I think they should, as the dying pump might have released some debris. Also, with 20k on the clock, it will mean I get another 40k before I have to change the oil and filter, instead of 20k

23 hours ago, tmg said:

I've had that before on my MKII

see here for more details. not a huge job even if the pump needs replacing

Thanks, yes it doesn’t seem a huge deal to replace, but not something I would like to have to do every 20k. I’ve driven 200 miles of Scottish country roads over the past couple of days and the lack of 4wd is very noticeable and rather spoils the car. Co-incidentally my front tyres are only a little above the legal limit which isn’t helping (yes, I’m going to get new tyres imminently!)

I do wonder if they will replace the filter and oil (or do you have to drain the oil to get the pump out?). I’ll grill them when I take it in.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, lukas883 said:

Time to laugh :D This is my run on petrol heads heaven, Nurburgring lap, was slow (comparing to other cars) but fun, because that was my 1st time ever on race course i was having only 1 thing in my head - Lukas, is not a fcking playstation, you dont have second chance :D.

No laughing here - I'd be lucky to break 80mph! Good on you!

4 hours ago, lukas883 said:

Time to laugh :D This is my run on petrol heads heaven, Nurburgring lap, was slow (comparing to other cars) but fun, because that was my 1st time ever on race course i was having only 1 thing in my head - Lukas, is not a fcking playstation, you dont have second chance :D.

How did the brakes fare?

Hi all,

The one on passenger seat that my lovely wife, she like cars too (lucky me). She recently got a Skoda Fabia Montecarlo, standard was not good enough for her :D 

After a lap on Nurburgring i have to say that Superb is not a sport car. Its quick, but thats it. Sport suspension is a way to soft for a race track, ofc car was fully loaded with German craft beer, french champagne and Italian wine + million other bags etc.

U can feel car very wobbly and this is very bad feeling when u have few quick corners,  this is something that i need to improve before round 2, so eibach springs ant anti roll bars should help with car suspension.

Im not expecting a Audi RS6 performance however this aspect was a little bit disappointing. Maybe DCC suspension will be better in this case, dunno.

Brakes was fain, i didn't push the car to hard, but even after 10-15km on the track i didn feel brake pedal softer or any other issues. So its not so bad after all. 

Overall its unbelievable place, u open your window when parking a car there and u can smell high octane petrol and burning tires. Heven on earth, everywhere high powered cars and other toys. Definitely im going back there...on the way to Worthersee :D       

Edited by lukas883
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, lukas883 said:

Hi all,

The one on passenger seat that my lovely wife, she like cars too (lucky me). She recently got a Skoda Fabia Montecarlo, standard was not good enough for her :D 

After a lap on Nurburgring i have to say that Superb is not a sport car. Its quick, but thats it. Sport suspension is a way to soft for a race track, ofc car was fully loaded with German craft beer, french champagne and Italian wine + million other bags etc.

U can feel car very wobbly and this is very bad feeling when u have few quick corners,  this is something that i need to improve before round 2, so eibach springs ant anti roll bars should help with car suspension.

Im not expecting a Audi RS6 performance however this aspect was a little bit disappointing. Maybe DCC suspension will be better in this case, dunno.

Brakes was fain, i didn't push the car to hard, but even after 10-15km on the track i didn feel brake pedal softer or any other issues. So its not so bad after all. 

Overall its unbelievable place, u open your window when parking a car there and u can smell high octane petrol and burning tires. Heven on earth, everywhere high powered cars and other toys. Definitely im going back there...on the way to Worthersee :D       

These helped with handling significantly:

Hardware modifications:

1. EIbach lowering springs

2. Eibach front and rear anti roll bars

3. Semi-slick tyres (Toyo R888R)

4. SuperPro Engine, Gearbox & Dogbone mounts

VCDS adaptations

1. Haldex wiring logic set to "Increased Traction"

2. XDS (eXtended Differential lock) set to "Strong"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, superbtte said:

VCDS adaptations

1. Haldex wiring logic set to "Increased Traction"

2. XDS (eXtended Differential lock) set to "Strong"

Do these settings create additional wear on various components? Any good resource about them to read?

7 minutes ago, ionelmc said:

Do these settings create additional wear on various components? Any good resource about them to read?

Had these settings for a few thousand miles, took it to Santa Pod and Shakespeare Raceway all while making over 500ps and nothing broke so on a standard car should not cause any issues imho. 

Edited by superbtte

Was that actually filmed yesterday? If so, the weather was not the best, was it?

I was up that way trying to do a top speed run on the A1 and despite being dry and clear it suddenly started ****ing down...at 235 km/h :blink:

5 minutes ago, Andysuew said:

Recorded yesterday 0-100kph via the Skoda One app and launch control.....5.02sec. Not bad for a 206tsi out of the box. :blush

Did 5.5 with a VBOX (using GPS corrected for gradient) so not far apart. You lose a little accuracy due to speedometer accuracy and possible gradient

After looking around at second hand cars I think I am going to now order new due to the great price I have managed to get on a Executive SE L (under £28k for standard spec with metallic paint). Going to have to be a factory order so now thinking of adding a couple of extras!!!!( always a dangerous game). What are peoples views on the following:

Travel assist and traffic sign recognition. (looks cheap and I believe other functions can be turned on once you have the camera that is in this extra but what are the other features)?

Front passenger seat control (what is this?)

DCC: worth the money on the SE L? At the moment I am not really considering this but any view would be good

Heated windscreen nozzles: (cheap so why not!!!)

Rear wiper (free but think it is included in new spec anyway but will make sure it is added)

DSG paddles (cheap so think I will add for the fun factor)

Colour maxi dot screen (looks nice and cheap so will add)

Pegassus wheels

Rear seat release from boot (cheap and could be handy, views?)

KESSY (worth the cost? does it not come with stop/start as standard so only really paying for the keyless entry also then looked at the virtual pedal with this but is it actually useful and do you use it much?)

Electric adjustable front seats (the driver is already electric so is this £500 for just the passenger seat? Does anyone have the ventilated seats and are they worth the extra?)

I think that covers most of the extras but anything anyone would consider a must have? Seen a few comments around the Canton sound system but £600 would buy some nice after market speakers to fit in the OEM spaces if needed anyway or does the Canton system have speakers in different locations (I assume the head unit/amps are the same for either option).

1 hour ago, PSM said:

Travel assist and traffic sign recognition. (looks cheap and I believe other functions can be turned on once you have the camera that is in this extra but what are the other features)?

Can enable Light Assist and Lane Assist through adaptation. Not Blind Spot Detection which uses additional radar and different door mirrors, nor Smart/Dynamic Light Assist (beam masking) which requires a different set of Bi-Xenon lights and also include the illuminated 'whiskers'.

Front passenger seat control (what is this?)

Have it. Adds a duplicate set of seat controls to the upper inside edge of the seat so driver or rear passenger can adjust the seat position. Only available with electric front passenger seat. Would spec again purely because my elderly mother can never get to grips with the seat controls so it allows me sort it for her.

DCC: worth the money on the SE L? At the moment I am not really considering this but any view would be good

Have it. Adds adaptive suspension and the Comfort mode which is excellent on long motorway cruises but I seldom use it off-motorway as it causes too much wallow on bends for my liking.

Heated windscreen nozzles: (cheap so why not!!!)

Have them. An often misunderstood option. It heats only the nozzle, not the fluid. Solely intended to defrost any icy blockage at the nozzle port.

Rear wiper (free but think it is included in new spec anyway but will make sure it is added)

I have it and wouldn't be without it on the hatchback. Others will tell you it ruins the car's lines.

DSG paddles (cheap so think I will add for the fun factor)

Have them, hardly ever used them. Prefer using the stick in manual mode. Wouldn't spec it again.

Colour maxi dot screen (looks nice and cheap so will add)

Have it. Eye candy but does look good.

Pegassus wheels

L & K came with the anthracite Pegasus. Easy to clean.

Rear seat release from boot (cheap and could be handy, views?)

Have it. Used it on very rare occasions but don't find it that particularly useful. Almost inevitably one of the rear seat belts overhangs the seat preventing it fully dropping resulting in going forward to relocate the belt so I might just as easily have pressed the release button on the back of the seat in the first place.

KESSY (worth the cost? does it not come with stop/start as standard so only really paying for the keyless entry also then looked at the virtual pedal with this but is it actually useful and do you use it much?)

Yes, Stop-Start is standard across the range.

I've got both KESSY and the virtual pedal.

I've had keyless of one sort or another on my last 5 cars and wouldn't consider buying a normal-key car, it's just so damn convenient.

I use the virtual pedal quite often. Easier than jiggling your shopping bags or fumbling for the key fob and at this time of the year when the back can get quite dirty it keeps your hands clean.

Electric adjustable front seats (the driver is already electric so is this £500 for just the passenger seat? Does anyone have the ventilated seats and are they worth the extra?)

I had the ventilated seats on my S2 and didn't need to think twice about going for them again on my S3. They're even more efficient on the S3 than they were on the S2. Nothing beats a pair of cool nuts in summer.:)

I think that covers most of the extras but anything anyone would consider a must have? Seen a few comments around the Canton sound system but £600 would buy some nice after market speakers to fit in the OEM spaces if needed anyway or does the Canton system have speakers in different locations (I assume the head unit/amps are the same for either option).

Canton (over the standard audio) has additional speakers. a sub-woofer amp, surround-sound support, as well as offering more user control of the audio output.

The only must-have for me not already mentioned is the heated windscreen.

• Thanks 1

Not been a great fan of heated windscreens as often seem to be able to see the wires in them. That said is it standard spec for an L&K, if so then did not notice anything on test drive. 

Surround sound sounds great but would never use it in the car as far as I can think at moment. Good point of seat release. Still undecided on DCC also adaptive cruise control as the whole sensor thing sounds like an expensive issue in the future if goes out of calibration etc.

I have had rear parking sensors for a while now but never felt need for fronts as can see front ok in Octavia. Is the superb harder to see? Not interested in rear camera as wife had this on her leaf and I never really liked it although I did like the side cameras.

I wonder when car manufacturers will enable all the cameras on board to become a dash cam so it is all integrated. It can not be long now for an option like that.